News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Given how much traffic downtown has increased in the last decade, I'd be surprised if the Spadina bus would even carry that many today, were it still there. Look at Ossington - it's dropped from about 31,000 in 1992 to 16,900 in 2008.

I think in 1992 Ossington would have included what is now the 161 Rogers Road. They were one route back then.

I avoided the 77 Spadina bus because the ride was so terrible.

I use the 510 Spadina whenever I could. To the convention centre, Skydome (aka Rogers Centre), or Kensington Market, I would ride the 510 Spadina to get there.

However, they must turn on transit priority for the farside stops to work better.

nfitz,

Where did you get your ridership stats?

Hi there. First post here. I wanted to add a few things to the original question of what went wrong with the St Clair ROW.

Most of the good and the bad of the St Clair ROW construction has already been covered. I think Cdl.to and hipster duck nailed it. Personally I am unhappy with the time it’s taken to build it. It’s a common complaint amongst those who live, work and travel along St Clair W. One can certainly blame SOS for the delay up to 2006; but afterwards it’s all about the city of Toronto. A proper general contractor in charge of the entire project probably would have helped. Working on multiple parts of the street at the same time would have also shortened the process.

The best thing not mentioned in this thread: TTC Time Based Transfer. It is awesome. I really hope that they continue this program when the construction is done. Being able to jump on and off the bus (and streetcar whenever it returns) has been really useful, especially on the way home from work. I find myself making quick shopping stops that without the transfer I likely wouldn’t have made. Although I have no data, this program must be helping local businesses weather the horror of the construction.

The worst thing during construction not mentioned: The current condo construction on the southwest corner of Avenue and St Clair. Just as the ROW was built between the subway stations, condo construction took one lane of the St Clair W going east towards the corner. Thus that stretch of St Clair went from being 3 lanes to its current one lane. Non-ROW rush hour going east in both the morning and afternoon can back up to Timothy Eaton Church. Here’s the irony. Due to the St Clair W station electrical problems, we had to use busses between the stations a lot longer than planned. So here we were every day on the 512 bus, stopped in traffic, waiting to get to Avenue Road, looking over at an empty unused ROW. Argh!!!

The thing I am looking forward to that’s almost never mentioned: The end of illegal u-turns. There must be more damage from illegal u-turns on St Clair West than anywhere else. I’ve seen more than one instance of a TTC vehicle with a car stuck in the side of it in the last five years. People are really bad drivers around here. The ROW won’t improve the drivers but it should end those dangerous illegal u-turns.

One day the TTC will learn to operate a proper LRT line (i.e. dedicated, control of traffic signals, reasonably wide stop locations) and the efficiency of LRT lines will go up - but I am not holding my breath....

One day the TTC will learn to operate a proper LRT line (i.e. dedicated, control of traffic signals, reasonably wide stop locations) and the efficiency of LRT lines will go up - but I am not holding my breath....

lots of the world's best LRT systems are actually in areas where there isn't very much traffic, for instance in Madrid's LRT system they are implemented in areas where there are alot fewer lights and intersections, and even in places like Calgary the don't have ROW's on the same streets as cars in the core, they have their own entire street, getting rid of the need for left turns and right turns ultimately allowing people to give up a few seconds to let the train pass through without stopping and plus the trains would be too big to constantly be stopping, plus the downtown area where traffic is an issue isn't really that large nowhere near the size of Toronto's traffic congested areas. The fact is that there are too many streets in toronto that intersect, letting the streetcars go straight through on priority would just slow everyone else down too much. Most LRT's are either undergronud in the downtown core, or in ROW's out in the suburbs, the only exception i know of is Australia's LRT in Melbourne?? correct me if i'm wrong, but apart from that, even Amsterdam's LRT is on streets that aren't that busy they usually are crammed wiht ppl walking or ppl bicycling around. And don't use Portland as an example it is way less populated than The Toronto Area.

Last edited:
Another regrettable aspect of the project is that I recall in the other thread it was mentioned that the railway bridge between Old Weston Road and Keele won't be reconstructed, resulting in a single lane of traffic with the ROW built. The bridge is dark and crumbling and should be replaced.

Another regrettable aspect of the project is that I recall in the other thread it was mentioned that the railway bridge between Old Weston Road and Keele won't be reconstructed, resulting in a single lane of traffic with the ROW built. The bridge is dark and crumbling and should be replaced.

I kept looking and looking for information on that bridge, but still have not found information on what they are going to do with it. There is space on the south side of St. Clair to widen the underpass. All the presentations I have seen, seem to ignore it.

I kept looking and looking for information on that bridge, but still have not found information on what they are going to do with it. There is space on the south side of St. Clair to widen the underpass. All the presentations I have seen, seem to ignore it.

If they were going to rebuild the overpass, they would have had to have started some time ago. The creation of a bottleneck at that point is really going to affect traffic along St. Clair, and probably force more people onto Davenport and potentially Rogers. Not a very good situation at all, and a perfect example of how poorly planned this project has been.

I've been trying to look for the completion status on the TTC website. When is the St.Clair ROW supposed to be fully completed with streetcar service resuming for the full length from Keele to Yonge? It seems like the need to do just a small part between Vaughan Road and Dufferin (less than 2km). Has the west end of the line been completed from the Keele loop to Dufferin already?

It would be great if this line is finished this summer. Merchants will be happy and people on St. Clair can finally begin to appreciate this improved line. Too bad TTC couldn't have purchased the new LRT vehicles for this line as a show-case for future Transit-City lines.

Whose idea was it anyway to divide the project so redicioulsly. First they finished StClair Station to St Clair West Station, but then they do a middle part from Gunns loop, and are only now filling in the gap. What was that??

Look on youtube as I have some video's up there.

View from top with another

I stated last year in this thread or some where else that it was easy to build new pedestrian tunnels on either side of the existing bridge. Once they are in place, you remove the current ones and use it as another lane.

All lane width will be narrow.

It would take a few weekends to do this. One only has to look at CP Hurontario bridge to see this and it was done under 60 hrs on a long weekend.

Whose idea was it anyway to divide the project so redicioulsly. First they finished StClair Station to St Clair West Station, but then they do a middle part from Gunns loop, and are only now filling in the gap. What was that??

This is the unfortunate result of trying to coordinate schedules with Toronto Hydro. What schedule there was went out the window when SOS obtained an injunction to stop construction on the project for six months, and since then, Toronto Hydro has been rather difficult to coordinate with.

Similar problems occurred with the rebuilding of tracks on Fleet Street, which caused the project to be delayed by months, at which point the aging tracks essentially gave out, and streetcars started derailing.

...James

Back