News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Could have been much better. Should have made them stand out from the existing towers to the west. Luckily Concord Park Place will hide them from the 401 which is where most people will see them.

sorry, but can't possibly agree with '...luckily Concord Park Place will hide them from 401...'

well I guess that's because I like these guys much more than the typical plain glass/steel towers Concord Adex is doing

Luckily Concord Park Place will hide them from the 401 which is where most people will see them.

This isn't really accurate because they are not that close to each other.

Park Place's highest towers are probably 6km door-to-door from these buildings.

I agree that the end result of this development is not as offensive as originally thought. But they still get very low grades. If it wasn't for Arc, the cruise ship on land, this whole 'neighbourhood' would be a case study in banality.

6km? They are a five/ten minute walk apart at most. What are you smoking?

Coming from the east on the 401 they'll be blocked by Concord. Directly to the south they can't be seen from the 401 because they are blocked by a hill, fence and houses. Coming from the west they are barely visible due to the NY Towers and the existing 60/70's slabs.

No they won't be seen from the 401.

6km? They are a five/ten minute walk apart at most. What are you smoking?

Probably something illegal but that's not important right now. But you're right, they are closer than I was imagining in my apparently cracked out state of mind. But they don't directly abutt each other either. Anyway, it is kind of a stupid debate. The area will not see the kind of density we find along the Yonge corridor in North York. Still, all intensification is good intensification along this subway line.

The buildings reek of high class wanna-be though.

Whatever "high class" is.

Coming along nicely... they fit the area's higher class feel

It's schlock. It's from the more is more school.

I don't know why you think all these cornices and doodads add up to 'higher class', and the use of the word 'feel' is funny to me too. For me the word feel defeats your intentions - as if something isn't really that way, it just feels that way.

Back to higher class though. Certainly a majority of the most expensive condos on the market in this city currently are in those buildings that you keep going on about as looking cheap to your eyes. Those buildings include the Ritz, Festival Tower, Four Seasons, 300 Front, U, 77 Charles, MuseumHouse, 155 Cumberland, ShangriLa, the St. Thomas, all over $600 a square foot. Even Trump and 1 Bloor E are rather restrained. So why do clean lines equal cheap for you?

Meanwhile it is now a minority of luxury buildings that retain this fussy more is more fauxchitecture including The Avenue, The Regency, and St. Gabriel's, so it would seem that "higher class" has mostly moved on to modernism.

It's schlock. It's from the more is more school.

I don't know why you think all these cornices and doodads add up to 'higher class', and the use of the word 'feel' is funny to me too. For me the word feel defeats your intentions - as if something isn't really that way, it just feels that way.

By "feel" I meant "looks" ... both of which are subjective

Back to higher class though. Certainly a majority of the most expensive condos on the market in this city currently are in those buildings that you keep going on about as looking cheap to your eyes. Those buildings include the Ritz, Festival Tower, Four Seasons, 300 Front, U, 77 Charles, MuseumHouse, 155 Cumberland, ShangriLa, the St. Thomas, all over $600 a square foot. Even Trump and 1 Bloor E are rather restrained. So why do clean lines equal cheap for you?42

I never said any of those buildings look cheap... in fact, I haven't even commented on most of those buildings... 77 Charles is ones of my favourites for that matter.
Clean lines and aluminium and glass is not the answer to every project. Given the mall's architecture, which has a big influence on the area and the surrounding buildings... these towers fit very nicely

I agree that modern architecture (steel + glass) are common nowadays, in both upscale and average priced projects ... but that does not mean classical looking buildings such as St Gabriel's + Aria are trash just because they are not glass ... although I recognize there are some general hatrate against buildings with any cladding in this forum

in no way is the St Gabriel's project cheap by any definition, put on top of that the reputation of Shane Baghai's workmanship and quality ... it far exceeds the big guys like Tridel, Daniels, Monarch, Menkes, etc ... you would know if you have ever been in any of their buildings

The reason I don't like it is the same reason I don't like the McMansions moving into the area. This area had a consistent 50's/60's modern look that's now slowly being destroyed. I'd be fine with this building at Yonge and Sheppard but not here.

St. Gabe's - are these buildings occupied? Can anybody say? Haven't been up there in a while.

^ .. The two towers and townhomes are, and the sales centre has been demolished.

speaking of....

December 25 2008
3136272456_6d289c9974_b.jpg

its.... well... yeah pretty bad...

oh and thats "Merci" and "The Bayview" condominium being built in the front of the picture.

Back