News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I would prefer traditional straight angles instead of swooping curves for this particular park as I don't think they suit the character of the church. The bottom part around the fountain(?) is more what I would expect. Just my opinion.

Agree. Why can't we break away from the same swoopy modernism that pervades almost every recent landscape project. Applying a generic modernism here, in the midst of a strongly historical urban fabric, looks a bit like an uninformed design move. If it must be modern, go for a bold contrast as aA did with their striking addition to the St. James parish building, which faces this park.

Last edited:
He might be referring to examples such as Grange Park, which was done in two (four?) phases in order to maintain partial access.

AoD

Yep, that came to mind, as well as the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal re-do and this project itself (the deck mentions phasing).

I would prefer traditional straight angles instead of swooping curves for this particular park as I don't think they suit the character of the church. The bottom part around the fountain(?) is more what I would expect. Just my opinion.

Are you referring to the walkway paths? I believe they are that way because that's how people have been walking through the park. Otherwise, people are just going to trample to death any grass on the corners while taking their "shortcut."

Really don't feel like the park needs a big revitalization - seems to work really well as is.

Particularly not sure why it needs a playground.

Really don't feel like the park needs a big revitalization - seems to work really well as is.

Particularly not sure why it needs a playground.
It has never been billed as a major revitalization, rather a 'smartening up' . The basic changes are better pathways and lighting, a better 'band stand', an expanded Victorian Garden and a playground. The children's playground is actually the return of one that used to be there before the St James Parish House was rebuilt a few years ago. There are increasing number of families with kids in the immediate neighbourhood and, though I am long past 'playground age' agree that one is required.

Eh, kinda like it a little ragged.

Like the new kinda ad hoc green chairs they've thrown in there, or at least how people are using them.

Like the programming on the weirdly out of place gazebo-thing.

Like the mix of dogs and adults and kids all together.

Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

Who's to say that all of those things won't still happen?, except it'll programming for a nice bandstand.

Are you referring to the walkway paths? I believe they are that way because that's how people have been walking through the park. Otherwise, people are just going to trample to death any grass on the corners while taking their "shortcut."

I understand desire lines, it's mostly the middle plaza I'm quibbling with. You can easily make that an octagon or something and still follow the desire lines. It's just the modern trend to have everything in swooping organic shapes.

Who's to say that all of those things won't still happen?, except it'll programming for a nice bandstand.

A bandstand that's pointed in the opposite direction, so that sound isn't directed towards the residential buildings to the east. I'm guessing they've had complaints.

The Catch Basin sculpture was removed this week.
Yes, it will be relocated (elsewhere in the City) by the City and the kids play area construction in that section of the Park will be starting in September or October. The remainder of the Master plan work will happen in Spring 2018

Back