News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Some decent progress on Wellington and Church. Workers are onsite until late. So it can be done!
AB160E4C-2969-4D81-979B-821873A1B55C.jpeg

8871B2D5-35EF-47C1-9836-3934A56E82EC.jpeg

0F0EE59E-700E-4BC2-8A57-821109DFBFE8.jpeg

Some decent progress on Wellington and Church. Workers are onsite until late. So it can be done!
View attachment 415434
View attachment 415435
View attachment 415436
Yes, at least while they finish off the Church/Wellington/Front junction they announced they would be working until 11pm. (Though they had stopped on Thursday night by 10.) The work on the south side of Wellington should be faster as there is less complexity underground and the tracks will be done.

EDIT: Saturday @ 2pm They are working on the tracks on Church between King & Wellington today.

Last edited:
@DSC as you mentioned the streetcar tracks are being rebuilt along Church to Adelaide and Wellington. So overhead wires will be installed as well then?

What is the purpose of the route I am wondering. What streetcar line will be running there or is it only for deviations?

@DSC as you mentioned the streetcar tracks are being rebuilt along Church to Adelaide and Wellington. So overhead wires will be installed as well then?

What is the purpose of the route I am wondering. What streetcar line will be running there or is it only for deviations?
Yes, streetcars need overhead wiring but, at least on the section of Wellington east of Yonge, there will be poles on only one side of the street. Wellington is the official route of the 503 and the assumption is it will return to turning there again once all is finished, it is also another possible diversion route. Though the route has been diverted for 4 or 5 years, the TTC route description was not changed!

Westbound 503 York via King​

These streetcars operate from Bingham Loop (on the west side of Victoria Park Avenue, north of Kingston Road) via south on Bingham Avenue, west and south on Kingston Road, west on Queen Street East, southwest and west on King Street East, south on Church Street, west on Wellington Street East, and west on Wellington Street West to York Street.

Eastbound 503 Victoria Park​

These streetcars operate from Wellington Street West and York Street via north on York Street, east on King Street West, east and northeast on King Street East, east on Queen Street East, north and east on Kingston Road, and north on Victoria Park Avenue to Bingham Loop.

Last edited:
@DSC

If the Church St. streetcar tracks are to see reconstruction from Wellington to Front, is the BIA doing any streetscape work at the same time?

Also curious if you have any updates on the Leader Lane/Colborne Streetscape project. Thanks!

@DSC

If the Church St. streetcar tracks are to see reconstruction from Wellington to Front, is the BIA doing any streetscape work at the same time?

Also curious if you have any updates on the Leader Lane/Colborne Streetscape project. Thanks!
As far as I know, the only work on that short block of Church is to replace the TTC tracks and repair any sidewalk/road areas in need of it. It is NOT getting more.

I have heard no more on the Colbourne/Leader project but it is supposed to follow the work on Wellington (clearly, both could not happen at once.) As Wellington may not be fully open again before late September, I am doubtful if the work will happen until 2023 but will try to find out. It is being funded almost completely by 65 King so it WILL happen and I have heard nothing about revised plans. (The section west of Leader Lane will be left, I think, until the 69 Younge development occurs and all work will stop at west side of Leader Lane.) (The work could also not happen while they are working on the Tom Jones building - which looks like a mid-fall finish to me - it is not moving too fast.)

The 501 streetcar will be diverted from Queen at Church to Richmond (westbound) and Adelaide (eastbound) for the duration of the Ontario Line's construction (and possibly permanently as the Ontario Line will make the 501 partially redundant?). I got a notice about this in the mail last week. I guess Church from Queen to Wellington will have overhead wiring soon, which I'm not thrilled about.

The 501 streetcar will be diverted from Queen at Church to Richmond (westbound) and Adelaide (eastbound) for the duration of the Ontario Line's construction (and possibly permanently as the Ontario Line will make the 501 partially redundant?). I got a notice about this in the mail last week. I guess Church from Queen to Wellington will have overhead wiring soon, which I'm not thrilled about.
What are you talking about? There has been no suggestion that the 501 streetcars will not return to Queen between Victoria and York once the OL excavations are over.

Church has had streetcar overhead for MANY decades from Wellington to Carleton, most has already been upgraded for pantographs. The tracks north of King are part of several quite regular diversions and short turns. As noted above, the westbound streetcar tracks on Wellington are being replaced and the 503 will then return to its regular route.

I see little chance of the 501 diversion being permanent. Why purposefully slow-down a service and make it go weird directions? The amount of crossover with the OL is only a few kilometres anyway. Plus it makes for an indirect Line 1 connection at Yonge.

They should make Queen a priority streetcar route like King, rather than slowing things down.

Given that the central portion of Queen will be shut to cars, as well as transit for several years, and largely excavated, there is certainly an opportunity to re-think how it is put back.

I'm not sure that there's any political will to reconsider Queen on the scale of King, but in that York - Victoria/Church section there is certainly room for design improvement.

Aside from improvements in the Bay to York segment which have been widely discusses (removing the Green P access on the south side and widening/beautifying the sidewalk, as well as removing the slip lane at the n/w corner w/Bay).....

I would argue for the need for wider sidewalks/passenger alighting space Between Bay-Victoria. I could forsee taking that small section making it car-free as there isn't a lot of play in the ROW and crowding cars onto to the streetcar track would not seem advantageous.

A quick review shows me that there are no garbage/parking/loading accesses on Queen from Victoria to Bay; though if car-free status were extended to Bay, James would need to be a 2-way street.

Victoria to Church does have a the hospital drop-off area, as well as Green P access off the south side. So that may limit practical changes there.

Back