News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Transportation failed to report back as instructed so the 'temporary closure' has been extended to fall 2024! (or will be when TEYCC passes this motion.)

TE8.38 - Extending the Market Street Closure between Front Street East and The Esplanade​

Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 13 - Toronto Centre

Origin​

(September 29, 2023) Letter from Councillor Chris Moise

Recommendations​

It is recommended that the Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to extend the temporary closure of Market Street between Front Street East and The Esplanade until November 30, 2024 and direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to report back by the third quarter of 2024 to the Toronto and East York Community Council with recommendations regarding closing this section of Market Street permanently.

2. Direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to work with stakeholders and the St. Lawrence Business Improvement Area to come up with solutions for deliveries and waste collection, as required, through the permitting for the closure.

Summary​

At our meeting on February 23, 2023 we authorized the General Manager, Transportation Services to temporarily close Market Street between Front Street East and The Esplanade from June 1, 2023 to October 15, 2023 and to report back by our June 22, 2023 meeting with recommendations regarding closing this section of Market Street permanently.

This closure this past summer was very well received by the local community and tourists who flocked to the area. We haven’t received a report back and now the temporary closure period is set to expire without recommendations on moving towards a permanent closure. I am requesting an extension of the temporary closure until such a time staff bring back a report with the recommendations for the permanent closure.

Background Information​

(September 29, 2023) Letter from Councillor Chris Moise on Extending the Market Street Closure between Front Street East and The Esplanade
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-239623.pdf
Approved by TEYCC today.

The extension is fantastic, but I'm slightly concerned with the "missing' recommendation report. Like in my company, heads would be rolling for completely missing the deadline to submit a report. Unless this is some sort of 4-D chess where no report => year long extension.

The extension is fantastic, but I'm slightly concerned with the "missing' recommendation report. Like in my company, heads would be rolling for completely missing the deadline to submit a report. Unless this is some sort of 4-D chess where no report => year long extension.
Though it is not good that the Report was not submitted, in fairness to City Staff the Councillors ask for LOTS of Reports and it is clearly impossible to provide them all when requested as the same councillors keep cutting budgets!

Here is another example https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...cle_ed30a16c-5b9c-50af-81e3-f746e107c0be.html

It is 'interesting' to note that they make no mention of all the delays, screw-ups and waste on this project. Yes, it looks pretty good - though it's a bit worrying to see so many new utility locates in the area!

1697720977611.png

Two new businesses are opening in the 33 Yonge building just behind Berczy Park.

A new location of Landwer Cafe is opening where the Fran's used to be. We've visited their Yonge & Bloor location and I think it should do well in this spot. It's a casual diner, but with Middle Eastern food options (the chain originated in Israel) and a fancy cocktail list.

Around the other side of the building, on the corner of Yonge and Wellington where Drake's failed restaurants used to be, O&B is opening something called The Joneses. There's currently a liquor license notice in the window and various job listings online describe it: "The Joneses will play host to power lunches, happy hours, pre-theatre diners, pre-game crowds and everything in between. The mid-century modern inspired bar, dining room and lounge will be the perfect setting for casual fine dining, featuring an eclectic menu of salads, sandwiches, pressed sushi, fresh pasta, pizza, and premium steaks, along with a big, bold cocktail and wine program."

It's good to see new businesses in the area after the spate of pandemic-era closures.

Just for the record; 18 days & two years late.
200 days of work completed in 950 days and they worked through a good portion of the winter in year two less the 8(?) month vacation in year one. Now let’s see the final bill compared to the original estimate.

The 2021 project schedule for this final phase. How many years of road work prep prior to 2021?

IMG_7485.jpeg

Just for the record; 18 days & two years late.
200 days of work completed in 950 days and they worked through a good portion of the winter in year two less the 8(?) month vacation in year one. Now let’s see the final bill compared to the original estimate.

The 2021 project schedule for this final phase. How many years of road work prep prior to 2021?

View attachment 514048
Work on utilities started in 2012 with a new watermain built before work started on Berczy Park. The Auditor General is, supposedly, investigating this whole mess. It was an AMAZINGLY poorly managed project.

Yes, but Transportation being THE most efficient Division (cough, cough) proceeded to re-open the street - they removed the barriers, last night I think.

One really gives up but I have set Councillor Moise onto it.

Sigh

TY for your diligence, as always.

I'm putting in some queries w/staff to see if I can understand how this came to pass. We'll see what answer(s) come back, if any.

TY for your diligence, as always.

I'm putting in some queries w/staff to see if I can understand how this came to pass. We'll see what answer(s) come back, if any.
City Silos. The guys who remove 'seasonal things' like patios do so in mid-October and no doubt at some point had this on their list of To Dos. Of course, someone at Transportation must follow Council directions (or maybe not! If they had they would have written the requested Report :->) Not a major screw up but I am afraid yet another example of the City's left hand not even knowing there IS a right hand!

Rent, presumably is by the ft2; and will likely vary based on placement within the building.

That said, for simplicity's sake........the above report would peg average rent for a stall at ~$68,000 and change per annum; or about $5,700 per month.

(based on total forecast rent divided by 51 vendors)

This item reminds me; @DSC any word on whose getting the old White House meats spot?

Back