News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Now that the structure of the southern sections of Time and Space are pretty much finished, there is discussion of closing the access to the future POPS from The Esplanade and having all of the construction traffic enter/leave the future POPS courtyard via the two mid-block connections that allow entry/exit from both Lower Sherbourne and Princess. This would allow The Esplanade to be a bus route ONLY between Lower Sherbourne and Princess and, hopefully, alleviate some (most?) of the traffic confusion in the Lower Sherbourne/Princess block.

It's still going to be very confusing IMHO. I still don't see the benefit of that one small section being bus-only compared to the headache it creates. If they made it bus-only over a longer distance I'd be more appreciative of the change.

I still don't see the benefit of that one small section being bus-only compared to the headache it creates.

The benefit is that it prevents drivers from using a school zone on The Esplanade as a shortcut to bypass the lights and traffic along Front Street. This was a big problem before.

So is the guy back on the street breaking more windows or are we talking about more than one person doing this.
More window smashing? Or just an accident? The newest incarnation of the café at Berkeley and Esplanade had their left door smashed during the initial wave of smash-and-grabs, now it seems to be the right door. This after they installed some (attractive and discreet) bars behind the glass.

smash.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: DSC
More window smashing? Or just an accident? The newest incarnation of the café at Berkeley and Esplanade had their left door smashed during the initial wave of smash-and-grabs, now it seems to be the right door. This after they installed some (attractive and discreet) bars behind the glass.
The Butter Chicken Roti at King and Sherbourne had their door smashed-in too. From my experience over the last while in a nearby neighbourhood people seem to be smashing things just for the hell of it. I assume mental health or drug issues etc. and I'm not sure what can be done about it. If people feel like they have nothing to lose and no future then anti-social behaviour is a reality. Also: meth.

May 23, 2022

City of Toronto temporarily closing Yonge Street between Front Street East and Lake Shore Boulevard for emergency road work

As of tonight at 7 p.m., the City of Toronto is closing Yonge Street between Front Street East and Lake Shore Boulevard to vehicle traffic to allow for emergency road work. The road closure is expected to last for at least three days as crews work to locate and address a substantial flow of ground water under the intersection of Yonge Street and The Esplanade. To accommodate the closure, the westbound Gardiner Expressway Yonge Street exit will also be closed.

The issue was identified on Saturday, May 21 by a City contractor carrying out work at the intersection of Yonge Street East and The Esplanade. After further investigation and attempts to manage the ground water flow beneath the street, City staff determined excavation of the intersection requiring road closures is needed to locate the source of the water and make critical repairs.

Throughout today, dewatering efforts continue at the site and the location is being monitored by City staff. Tonight at 7 p.m. the full closure will take effect as crews work around the clock to repair the issue and have the roadway reopened as soon as possible. Both the work site and detours will be clearly marked with signage and City staff will be on site to ensure safe implementation of the closure.

The City is making every effort to ensure sidewalks along Yonge Street remain available to pedestrians. Members of the public making essential trips to the area are asked to plan ahead, choose an alternate route when possible, follow detour signs in place and be patient. People travelling to the area can use the City’s Road Restrictions map to plan essential trips and get updates about the closure: www.toronto.ca/services-payments/streets-parking-transportation/road-restrictions-closures/restrictions-map/.

EDIT: This has clearly been a problem for ages, see http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/files/besr/RSC 215269.pdf from the construction of Backstage.

Last edited:

Whether you're after classic jewelry, antiquarian books, or anything else vintage, Toronto's Sunday Antique Market has been the place to be for collectors every Sunday for over three decades.

But it appears that this will be the market's final Sunday south of St. Lawrence Market, as a closing announcement was posted on the Sunday Antique Market Facebook page on Wednesday evening, addressing days of rumours.

BlogTo has a piece on Wellington Street and the latest delays to this cursed project - while it's true, it fails to note that this latest delay is one of many, going back many years or that the City's Auditor General is investigation.

The referral to the AG is at: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.IE24.14

May 23, 2022

City of Toronto temporarily closing Yonge Street between Front Street East and Lake Shore Boulevard for emergency road work

As of tonight at 7 p.m., the City of Toronto is closing Yonge Street between Front Street East and Lake Shore Boulevard to vehicle traffic to allow for emergency road work. The road closure is expected to last for at least three days as crews work to locate and address a substantial flow of ground water under the intersection of Yonge Street and The Esplanade. To accommodate the closure, the westbound Gardiner Expressway Yonge Street exit will also be closed.

The issue was identified on Saturday, May 21 by a City contractor carrying out work at the intersection of Yonge Street East and The Esplanade. After further investigation and attempts to manage the ground water flow beneath the street, City staff determined excavation of the intersection requiring road closures is needed to locate the source of the water and make critical repairs.

Throughout today, dewatering efforts continue at the site and the location is being monitored by City staff. Tonight at 7 p.m. the full closure will take effect as crews work around the clock to repair the issue and have the roadway reopened as soon as possible. Both the work site and detours will be clearly marked with signage and City staff will be on site to ensure safe implementation of the closure.

The City is making every effort to ensure sidewalks along Yonge Street remain available to pedestrians. Members of the public making essential trips to the area are asked to plan ahead, choose an alternate route when possible, follow detour signs in place and be patient. People travelling to the area can use the City’s Road Restrictions map to plan essential trips and get updates about the closure: www.toronto.ca/services-payments/streets-parking-transportation/road-restrictions-closures/restrictions-map/.

EDIT: This has clearly been a problem for ages, see http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/files/besr/RSC 215269.pdf from the construction of Backstage.
The closure continues, now to 6 June. I guess the problem was far larger than initially expected. Road has also always been closed 24/7 in both directions./

YONGE ST From FRONT ST E To LAKE SHORE BLVD

Toronto-TMC: Northbound lanes and Southbound lanes closed due to emergency road work. The Westbound Gardiner Expr

Closure Type:Construction (Planned)

Time Frame Daily

Until: Jun 6, 2022

Hours: 07:00 p.m. to 09:00 a.m.

Impact:Major

Road Class:Expressway Ramp

District:Toronto and East York

Contractor:City of Toronto

ID:R147208

The closure continues, now to 6 June. I guess the problem was far larger than initially expected. Road has also always been closed 24/7 in both directions./

YONGE ST From FRONT ST E To LAKE SHORE BLVD

Toronto-TMC: Northbound lanes and Southbound lanes closed due to emergency road work. The Westbound Gardiner Expr

Closure Type:Construction (Planned)

Time Frame Daily

Until: Jun 6, 2022

Hours: 07:00 p.m. to 09:00 a.m.

Impact:Major

Road Class:Expressway Ramp

District:Toronto and East York

Contractor:City of Toronto

ID:R147208

Day 9 and counting. They started with 3 days minimum.

Good thing the Leafs and Raptors are out of the playoffs.

CE7C6494-84A4-48EC-84DB-CF2C22D1EF85.jpeg

7965E043-015F-4DBA-93FD-92423BCB57D4.jpeg

The NB curb lane was poured yesterday and paved today. Promising….

I somehow missed including the Ltower generator still parked on the street.

Day 9 and counting. They started with 3 days minimum.

Good thing the Leafs and Raptors are out of the playoffs.

View attachment 404182

View attachment 404183
The NB curb lane was poured yesterday and paved today. Promising….

I somehow missed including the Ltower generator still parked on the street.
Indeed. The L Tower or their insurers are paying a lot for that generator, any sign of repairs?

Another item to add the traffic obstacles in the market area.
FABC2D95-B942-4333-A87B-2B0FDBBBA6DF.jpeg

I have not seen any work in my passing of this corner that may have been related to the generator or building maintenance unit since the mishap July 10, 2021.

Back