I do hope they manage to save some of the architectural features on the Bond St wing when and if it goes forward- there are some nice Victorian details which could be integrated into any new building as architectural relics. The old building is obviously incompatible with new medical technology, but retaining some elements could help soften a rather harsh facade (no, the trees don't fix it).

4181-40241.jpeg

http://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...pital-patient-care-tower-emergency-department

Current view:
https://goo.gl/maps/MBpEgb3YUAq

Last edited:
I do hope they manage to save some of the architectural features on the Bond St wingd when and if it goes forward- there are some nice Victorian and Art Deco details which could be integrated into any new building as architectural relics.

There are no short-to-medium term plans for the Bond Wing, happily.

You mean the Shuter Wing? I think they are going to cap it a 2 floors (part of ER expansion) for now - but it's pretty clear that the plans would allow for a tower there.

AoD
I saw a model in the hospital a year or so ago (at Doors Open I think) which showed starting with a lower level building on Shuter (the Shuter Wing??) and then building up another x floors as $$ became available. I found this on the St Mike's site: "Renovations to existing hospital space will include nearly doubling the size of the Slaight Family Emergency Department and replacing the 100-year-old Shuter Wing with a new three-story structure on the corner of Bond and Shuter streets." Clearly that is the rendering just above, thanks @jje1000

Yesterday, I noticed that they seem to be building a blank wall of black concrete blocks along Victoria where they used to have an arcade (for lack of a better term) before.

Why is the architect not listed in the forum header? Are NORR and Diamond Schmitt paying you extra to keep their name off this hideous piece of work? :)

Diamond Schmitt also seem to be missing from the Velocity thread (another vomit-inducing addition to the city).

Diamond and Schmitt were replaced before it became Velocity. The title of this thread is long enough.

Why is the architect not listed in the forum header? Are NORR and Diamond Schmitt paying you extra to keep their name off this hideous piece of work? :)

Diamond Schmitt also seem to be missing from the Velocity thread (another vomit-inducing addition to the city).
There is some maximum number of characters, beyond which it automatically drops developers and architects to make sure that the height and storeys are preserved in the title. Ironically in this case, we don't have the exact height, so it's just a question mark.

While I still say you have to blame the developer ultimately, Diamond Schmitt have made some architectural miscalculations recently. The only one you can fully lay at their feet is CampusOne, but at Velocity it was IBI Group that did the working drawings, and here at St Mike's they were replaced by NORR.

While I still say you have to blame the developer ultimately

Agreed. I actually feel for the architects. I liken it to the industry I work in (film). Having a competent architect screwed over by a bad developer is just like having a talented director screwed over by a bad producer. In both cases, your name is still attached to an inferior product.

Update:
Substantially expanding the facilities at the Downtown Toronto facility, the NORR and Diamond Schmitt-designed Peter Gilgan Patient Core Tower is in the closing stages of construction at St. Michael's Hospital.

Back