When will they ever finish this off - the east sidewalk on Victoria has been blocked for about 5 years. I assume the Bondfield situation is what's holding things up.

This makes the office tower on the south-east corner of that intersection look even more ghastly.

When will they ever finish this off - the east sidewalk on Victoria has been blocked for about 5 years. I assume the Bondfield situation is what's holding things up.

I have posed this question to St. Mike's; if/when I get an answer, I will post it here.

I have posed this question to St. Mike's; if/when I get an answer, I will post it here.

I have been given a reply.

".....The Peter Gilgan Patient Care Tower is currently in its final stage of completion and we are anticipating a Fall 2019 completion. Shortly after, the designated units will be moving in and we will be able to start providing access to the lobby and patient care inside the tower. "

Pics from Jun 19, 2019

fullsizeoutput_275d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_275e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_275f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2762.jpeg

The metal awning is pretty awful and ruins the openness of the glass wall.
It is bizarrely thick and inelegant! They could have gotten away with a glass canopy there for the same sheltering effect, and it could have been far better.

Article published today on the St. Mike's website concerning the ED/Shuter Wing project.

Highlights:

- 40 departments/units to be relocated to make way for demolition.

- Initial new Building is 2 -storey ED

- Designed to support a full 17-storey height with no further foundation/support issues in the future. (would match height of adjacent wing on Shuter/Victoria)

- Dedicated entrance for ambulatory patients from sidewalk (no longer through the Ambulance Bay)

- Dedicated diagnostics for ED including x-ray, ultrasound and their own CT Scanner

-All exam rooms fully enclosed/private

-New dedicated discharge area away from the hustle of the ER to discuss discharge/post-discharge care

New dedicated ambulance entry area underground too - which is badly needed for patient privacy and simply vehicle staging. It'll remove the need for ambulances to unload right on Shuter Street and provide spaces for Police to park so that they don't block the bike lanes.

What is interesting to me is that they have gotten site plan approval for a 6 storey structure here - but apparently are only planning on building 2 of them.

New dedicated ambulance entry area underground too - which is badly needed for patient privacy and simply vehicle staging. It'll remove the need for ambulances to unload right on Shuter Street and provide spaces for Police to park so that they don't block the bike lanes.

What is interesting to me is that they have gotten site plan approval for a 6 storey structure here - but apparently are only planning on building 2 of them.
They only have the $$ for Phase 1. (But are being smart enough to ensure adding extra floors will be comparatively easy later on. "The new Shuter rebuild will initially be two storeys, but it will have structural and service provisions in place to support an additional 15 storeys, which would match the height of the adjacent 17-storey Cardinal Carter wing. ")

They only have the $$ for Phase 1. (But are being smart enough to ensure adding extra floors will be comparatively easy later on. "The new Shuter rebuild will initially be two storeys, but it will have structural and service provisions in place to support an additional 15 storeys, which would match the height of the adjacent 17-storey Cardinal Carter wing. ")

Well my bet is they will get it built sooner rather than later given the population trajectory of the core.

AoD

Back