I was wondering for the longest time what was going on with this. I face the east side of the hospital. They took down the glass from the first photo and them started adding steel beams and extending the floor plate further out to match the exterior wall to the south of it. The new glass they are now adding to this extension is definitely nicer, but this is only lipstick on a pig at this point. It's one of those most ugly buildings downtown. Oh and sometime during the construction of the new Patient Care Tower, they also added more exhausts running vertically as you can see in the below photos. These actually cover what used to be windows. I don't know how they get away with doing that. It's so ugly! (Not the new building, but the hospital as a whole

First pic from August 2019 showing the old glass.
IMG_20190809_200030.jpg

Current look with the extension and new glass.
IMG_20200513_121411.jpg

I just walked up Victoria Street and for the first time in probably 5 years the sidewalk on the west side at this development is fully open. They still have a small amount of work to do with the 'flashing' on west side of the older building but at least the outside on the west is now virtually finished.

1590019893749.png

What in the ever living hell is that?

There's a streetscape plan for Victoria Street.

Am I to seriously believe it involves no interlocking pavers/decorative flourishes in the pavement, no trees, and no decorative lighting? Just bare concrete?

Unacceptable.

The bands of concrete pavers on the sidewalk next to the curb are missing, as well as the metal inlays. Why even have a manual when it's apparently acceptable practice just to pour a slab of concrete across the sidewalk?

The bands of concrete pavers on the sidewalk next to the curb are missing, as well as the metal inlays. Why even have a manual when it's apparently acceptable practice just to pour a slab of concrete across the sidewalk?
Because the manual is created by Urban Design (a section of City Planning) and sidewalks are actually made by Transportation! Silos and all that. Sad!

Tower lobby is official open as at today.

Excuse the absence of working escalators and elevators!

Open daytime only, if you need access after 8pm, use the old Queen St. Entrance, same if you have mobility needs.

Why did they put the dark grey awning there. It's so low and makes the area extremely dark. Part of the building already blocks that area further up

Back