I'd say the following is cause for celebration:

INFRASTRUCTURE ONTARIO

Transmitted by CNW Group on : May 10, 2012 09:11

Planning, design and compliance team selected for St. Michael's Hospital redevelopment project
TORONTO, May 10, 2012 /CNW/ - Diamond Schmitt Architects Incorporated, a Toronto architectural firm, has been selected to lead the planning, design, and compliance aspects of the St. Michael's Hospital redevelopment project. The project will include the construction of a new 17 storey patient-care tower at the corner of Queen and Victoria Streets, and the renovation of approximately 150,000 square feet of existing space.

The planning, design and compliance (PDC) team will prepare key documents that will establish the guidelines and performance requirements that the successful building team must meet when preparing their designs. The PDC team will also monitor construction progress and provide coordination and oversight services during the commissioning and completion of the project.

With the new space, St. Michael's Hospital will relocate patient beds from an 85-year-old wing and provide larger space for programs that treat some of the most critically ill patients from across Ontario. These programs include patients from the medical-surgical intensive care unit, and the largest adult cystic fibrosis clinic in North America.

Highlights of the project include:

Five new operating rooms, each large enough to include state-of-the-art medical imaging equipment. These "hybrid operating rooms" will allow surgeons to perform minimally invasive, image-guided or catheter-based procedures, as well as undertake open surgery in the same operating room.

Enlarged, state-of-the-art facilities for orthopedic surgery, oncology, coronary care and respirology, including the cystic fibrosis program, as well as critical care space for the coronary and medical-surgical units.

Expansion of the current Emergency Department, which was originally designed to accommodate 45,000 patient visits, but now accommodates 70,000 a year—a number that continues to grow with the population. This expansion will allow St. Michael's Hospital to continue to fulfill its mandate as a regional trauma centre.
Once the planning, design and compliance aspects are completed, the hospital and Infrastructure Ontario will issue a request for qualifications for a company to design, build and finance the project, using the Alternative Financing and Procurement model. Under this model, risks associated with the design, construction and financing of complex hospital projects are transferred to the private sector.

Infrastructure Ontario and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care are working with St. Michael's Hospital to expand and renovate the hospital, which will remain publicly owned, publicly controlled and publicly accountable.

Infrastructure Ontario is a Crown corporation dedicated to delivering some of the province's larger and more complex infrastructure renewal projects, on time and on budget; managing one of the largest real estate portfolios in Canada and providing real estate services, such as asset management and property and land management; and providing the public sector and not-for-profit organizations with long-term financing to renew public infrastructure.

Excellent news. The oldest parts of the hospital, namely the Bond Wing, are supposed to remain intact (and have some lovely art deco details, inside and out), but I am glad to see that inpatient care will be moved out of those ancient halls.

Excellent news. The oldest parts of the hospital, namely the Bond Wing, are supposed to remain intact (and have some lovely art deco details, inside and out), but I am glad to see that inpatient care will be moved out of those ancient halls.

I worry for the Bond wing, it really is lovely. With hospital boards and the physical plant, its quite often "out with the old, in with the new," which I find a slightly unsettling mindset, considering these are people who care for the infirm.... *grin*

Word was that the administration wanted to next renovate or replace the Shuter Wing, which won't be much of a loss. I'm quite hopeful for the Bond Wing.

Great news! This will improve the street and draw attention away from those awful office buildings across the street.

I am pleased that this project is going ahead! I was born at St. Michael's Hospital at a very early age! The Doctor took one look at me and slapped my mother!

from today's Daily Commercial News....

HOSPITAL ADDN Proj: 9148175-3
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON PREPARING PLANS

St Michael's Hospital Patient Care Tower, Queen St & Victoria St, M5B 1W8
$49,900,000 est

Note: Request for Proposal (RFP) to lead the planning, design, and compliance aspects of this project has been awarded. Preliminary design is now underway. Schedules for working drawings and RFP for contracting services has not been determined at this time. Further update late 2012.

Diamond & Schmitt in association with DIALOG will be leading the planning, design, and compliance aspects of this redevelopment project.
Project: proposed construction of a 17-storey addition to the hospital. This wing will contain five state-of-the-art operating rooms and relocate patient beds from the older portion of the hospital.

Scope: 260,000 square feet; 17 storeys
Development: Addition
Category: Hospitals

from today's Global News, looks like they are putting out a request for qualifications...

TORONTO - St. Michael's Hospital put out a call Monday for companies to design, build and finance a new patient care building at the corner of Queen and Victoria Streets.

The busy downtown hospital also plans to renovate about 150,000 square feet of existing space.

"Today's announcement is great news not only for Toronto residents, but for patients from across Ontario who require specialized care in a truly world class facility," said Deb Matthews, Ontario's Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, in a press release.

St. Michael's is looking for a 17-floor tower to replace an 85-year-old building. It needs five new operating rooms and new inpatient facilities for orthopedic surgery, oncology, coronary care and respirology as well as critical care space for the coronary and medical-surgery units.

The hospital wants to expand its Emergency Department, which handles over 70,000 patients a year.

St. Michael's and Infrastruture Ontario has issued a request for qualifications, which will be followed by a request for proposals early next year.

"The new St. Michael's facility will help us manage some of the key health challenges facing our diverse community today," explained Dr. Robert Howard, CEO of St. Michael's Hospital. "We are pleased to be taking another step forward on this important project."

http://www.globaltoronto.com/st+michaels+hospital+plans+new+tower/6442769170/story.html

^ does it say to have a 17 story tower to replace the building? I thought it is just an addition using the space of the parking lot...

^ does it say to have a 17 story tower to replace the building? I thought it is just an addition using the space of the parking lot...

Old rendering from 2 pages back

screenshot20100625at853.png

Looks like they have created a shortlist of companies who could build the project, and will be issuing an RFP to these companies this summer ...from today's Daily Commercial News...

HOSPITAL ADDN Proj: 9148175-6
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON PREPARING PLANS
St Michael's Hospital Patient Care Tower, Queen St & Victoria St, M5B 1W8
$49,900,000 est

Note: Request for Proposal to lead the planning, design, and compliance aspects of this project has been awarded. Preliminary design is now underway. A Request for Qualifications to Design, Build, and Finance this project was issued in December 2012 and a shortlist of qualified companies has now been released. A Request for Proposal for these shortlisted companies is anticipated to be issued summer 2013. Further update at that time.

Diamond & Schmitt in association with DIALOG will be leading the planning, design, and compliance aspects of this redevelopment project. The following are the shortlisted companies: St. Michael's Partnership: Bondfield Construction Company Limited, NORR Limited/Farrow Partnership, & Rocklyn Capital Inc; Integrated Team Solutions: EllisDon Corporation, Kasian Architecture & EllisDon Capital Inc/Fengate Capital Inc; PCL Partnerships: PCL Constructors Canada Inc, B+H Architects/Silver Thomas Hanley & TD Securities Inc.

Project: proposed construction of a 17-storey addition to the hospital. This wing will contain five state-of-the-art operating rooms and relocate patient beds from the older portion of the hospital.
Scope: 260,000 square feet; 17 storeys
Development: Addition
Category: Hospitals

Owner Complete information is available to subscribers. Click HERE to find out how to subscribe.
Architect Complete information is available to subscribers. Click HERE to find out how to subscribe.
Consultant Complete information is available to subscribers. Click HERE to find out how to subscribe.
First report Thu Dec 15, 2011. Last report Tue Mar 12, 2013.
This report Mon May 27, 2013.

Back