I haven't seen this before the front page piece and my first reaction was: WHAT THE WHA

That corner needs something aside from some heating/cooling equipment and a teensy parking lot.

Does anybody know where to find information when each of the wings were built? The wikipedia entry is weak, the St. Michael's history page on its own site is short on facts, and I haven't been able to find much with Google. I found a great article on the old infiltration site but it refers to the wings with the old names (A,B,C,D,E,F,Victoria), but no accompanying map. I only know the wings by their current names.

Just spent some time in Donnelly and Bond. Interested to know more.

Thanks

Does anybody know where to find information when each of the wings were built? The wikipedia entry is weak, the St. Michael's history page on its own site is short on facts, and I haven't been able to find much with Google. I found a great article on the old infiltration site but it refers to the wings with the old names (A,B,C,D,E,F,Victoria), but no accompanying map. I only know the wings by their current names.

Just spent some time in Donnelly and Bond. Interested to know more.

Thanks

Lots of info in McDonald, Irene. For the Least of My Brethren: A Centenary History of St. Michael's Hospital. Toronto: Dundurn Press, 1992 but I do not own a copy and can't remember if it talks in detail of the wings.

Personally I wish they had just torn down the old part. They have not maintained it well. It looks awful. And the way they built the new sections does not go with the old parts at all. Also the back parts of the newer sections are big boring grey walls and windows. Absolutely awful.

Thanks for the book reference, I'll look for it.

The hospital is a maze. See the infiltration site article below. I think it was written during the construction of the Cardinal Carter wing, which appears to have been named the Victoria wing at the time.

http://www.infiltration.org/hotels-stmike.html

My partner has an appointment next week and the instruction sheet he was given refers to the Donnelly wing as the Queen wing. I find it amazing how they've changed the names of existing wings multiple times in just a few decades. It just compounds the confusing layout. Here's the current map: http://www.stmichaelshospital.com/locator/SMH-Maps.jpg

I have found the following, mostly through searching the St. Michael's site with archive.org:
- The Cardinal Carter wing was formerly known as the Victoria wing
- The Donnelly wing was formerly known as the Queen wing
- 2001: 4 more stories were added on top of the Cardinal Carter wing. The new stories officially opened in March 2002. This expansion was due to the merger with Wellesley Central. Architect: Diamond Schmitt
- Nov 2003: Helipad on top of Cardinal Carter opens

August 8, 2013
Shortlist for St. Michael’s Hospital reno unveiled
TORONTO
St. Michael’s Hospital and Infrastructure Ontario (IO) have announced the shortlist of companies invited to bid on the hospital’s renewal project and sent out a request for proposals to the three teams.
The companies invited to bid are:
— St. Michael’s Partnership (Bondfield Construction Company Limited, NORR Limited/Farrow Partnership, Rocklyn Capital Inc.)
— Integrated Team Solutions (EllisDon Corporation, Kasian Architecture, EllisDon Capital Inc./Fengate Capital Inc.)
— PCL Partnerships (PCL Constructors Canada Inc., B+H Architects/Silver Thomas Hanley, TD Securities Inc.)
The project will involve the construction of a new tower that will house hospital beds and provide a larger space to treat critically ill patients.
The hospital will also add five new operating rooms and state-of-the-art medical imaging equipment. Work will also be done to expand the hospital’s inpatient facilities for orthopedic surgery, oncology and respirology.

I've worked at St Mikes for 14 years, trust me, while it all looks amazing on paper, it will be many years before the first hole is dug. Was just speaking to one of our engineers, she told me that while everything is set to go, rumour has it both the builder and the plans may change, anyone else get wind of this? Hope not, we we shown a mock up of one of the new hospital rooms, beautiful, and the most technologically advanced in the country. Looks just like a hotel room, with room for family to sleep as well. They've hidden all medical equipment in the walls, each room has wifi, a 32" interactive flat screen, looks amazing! If my cancer comes back, at least I'll be comfortable!

I've always felt that hospitals should provide rooms for family members to get some quality sleep. Nothing fancy, just small sleeping quarters with bunk-beds. Hospices will always be the more comfortable option for visiting family, but it would be nice to see hospitals include some sort of basic accommodation (read: beds) for visiting family members of sick or terminally ill patients.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1W8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 150850 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: May 2, 2014

Project: Non-Residential Building Addition

Description: To demolish the existing eight storey "Shuter"wing at St. Michael's Hospital and construct a new two-storey "Shuter" wing at St Michael's Hospital.

Nice! Although I wish it was going to be more than 8 storeys to hide the ugly back of the Cardinal Carter wing.

Interesting they are doing this before they start the work on the promised building on their small parking lot at Victoria and Queen.

Interesting they are doing this before they start the work on the promised building on their small parking lot at Victoria and Queen.

Maybe that's the point. Move the various utilities (such as the medical gas tanks) over to the opposite corner along with service functions (hence it being only two storeys) before starting with Queen/Victoria.

Back