News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Two years ago I worked at one of the first Superstores to get rid of plastic bags in Canada, and just thinking of some of the idiotic reactions we got makes me sick of this debate. No well-adjusted person freaks out at something as trivial as whether or not they receive plastic bags for free at the grocery.

"No bags!? I'm going to Sobey's!"

You'd think people would figure a high schooler working for minimum wage who didn't have anything whatsoever to do with the decision wouldn't be the person to whine to, but apparently not.

That's tradition in any business; who do you complain to: the supervisor, the manager, the president of the company, or whoever's convenient?

A: Whoever's convenient.

'Cause some 17-year old part timer is liable to pass the word on to the regional office. I dunno, if I have a complaint, I don't do it that way. I had people yelling at me like it was my own decision, is my point.

"My elderly mother shops here, what is she supposed to do, huh?!"

"This is just a money-grab!"

:eek:

I always try to be kind to people working front line service like that. It's often a difficult, thankless, and stressful job and the last thing they need is someone hassling them over corporate policy totally beyond their control.

Real Canadian Superstores out west never had free bags - 3 cents each. Guess that's like No Frills out in Ontario.
Costco doesn't have bags either - you don't hear people conmplaining about that.

BTW - do drycleaners charge the 5 cents for the bags you get with your clean cothes?

^ No, but my usual drycleaner switched to paper sometime in the last 2 weeks. I just picked up a few suits and they came in a paper covering rather than the usual plastic.

I think they either are included in the new law or they're preparing for the inevitable discontinuation of plastic bags all together.

Lol

I walked by neighbours' place tonight....they had made some homemade soup and asked if I'd like some for dinner....they came back outside and handed me a tupperware container of it and then said "If you want it in a bag....that'll be 5 cents extra" lol....

The vendors in the St. Lawrence farmers market on Saturday couldn't care less about charging 5 cents for plastic bags, though some of them ask if you want paper instead.

Back