wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Young Torontonians greenest commuters

T.O. commuters greenest

Apr 02, 2008 08:59 AM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA – Young workers in the Toronto region are more likely to pick "green" commuting options than their older co-workers, the latest census information shows.

Statistics Canada has released new data Wednesday from the 2006 census that gives more details about how people in the Toronto region most often get to work and how far they travel.

Workers under the age of 25 in the Toronto region use public transit 30.8 per cent of the time, while a further 9.5 per cent walk and 1.5 per cent use a bike.

That's a considerably higher reliance on environmentally friendly means of getting to work than the average commuter in the Toronto region, who commutes by public transit 22.2 per cent of the time, by foot 4.8 per cent of the time and 1.0 per cent by bike.

The reliance on the car in the Toronto region seems to increase as the age of commuters gets older.

Commuters under the age of 25 used a vehicle to get to work – either as a driver or a passenger – 57.2 per cent of the time. Those aged 25-34 commuted by car most often 66.1 per cent of the time and those 35 and over drove or were driven 75.8 per cent of the time.

The census doesn't ask commuters why they chose their mode of transportation, so it's not known if younger workers pick greener commuting options because of their concern for the environment or whether their choice was related more to financial considerations.

Dan McDermott, director of Ontario's chapter of the Sierra Club of Canada, says owning a car used to be a rite of passage for young people, but enviromental awareness in that generation has made gas guzzlers uncool. The high cost of gasoline is another factor for those with limited incomes.

"The desire to own a car is diminishing for a number of reasons – environmental consciousness being high on that list," said McDermott.

"Certainly, economic reality weighs in as well and with gas scheduled to hit $1.50 a litre, that makes the question about buying a car one that young people on limited resources will look long and hard at before making that choice."

Statistics Canada released initial information on commuting in the country's major metropolitan region last month. The new information breaks down the data further to the municipal level.

In the city of Toronto, 34.4 per cent of workers use public transit while 55.8 per cent get to the job by car.

The median commuting distance for people in the city of Toronto is 7.5 kilometres – meaning the point where one half of the city's population travels more than that distance and the other half travels less. Commuting distance is measured on a straight line from home to work – not the actual route travelled, which for most commuters would be longer.

Isn't this kind of a no-brainer? Young people often can't afford to have a car, so of course they'll use transit more. I think it'd be more important to investigate if more people with the financial wherewithal to have a car are actually choosing public transit.

Isn't this kind of a no-brainer? Young people often can't afford to have a car, so of course they'll use transit more. I think it'd be more important to investigate if more people with the financial wherewithal to have a car are actually choosing public transit.

And young people are more likely to work at the local burger joint.

It's fair to say that young people tend to use transit more often, but it's not accurate to say that this is due to choice. Obviously the demographic group with the least financial independence is going to be less likely to make a big purchase like a car. At the same time, older people are more likely to have families, live in the suburbs, and commute long distances to work. These factors, which are more common among older people, make transit less favourable to them.

In order to fairly say that one group prefers transit over the other, you have to account for the above demographic differences. Consider only those who earn a certain income, such as $50000 per year. Within that group, do more young people use transit than older people? Or, consider only people who are single. Are young singles more likely to use transit than older singles? Or look at the same census tract, or the level of education...

I suspect that one's life situation overrides their age as a factor for choosing transit. Younger people simply find themselves in life situations more conducive to transit.

Hence why this sentence pretty much discredits the entire article:

The census doesn't ask commuters why they chose their mode of transportation, so it's not known if younger workers pick greener commuting options because of their concern for the environment or whether their choice was related more to financial considerations.

Another key factor is children. These days people under 25 are very unlikely to have families, and therefore can afford to live closer to downtown where they work. By the time they hit their mid 30s -- if my friends are any indication -- many will move to the burbs because they need more space and can't afford a big enough house downtown. Or at least that will be the excuse given... :p

Young people use transit because they choose to, because they are given the opportunity to, not simply because they can't afford it. If young people are given no other choice, they will still buy a car regardless of their current financial situation. They will find a way to make it work.

In the US it is VERY common for teenagers to have cars (just watch the movie Dazed and Confused), but not here in Canada because our public transit systems are much better. Using public transit is a choice that most people make, not something that is forced on them.

Mississauga Transit has a much higher ridership per capita than Detroit system. Is Mississauga poorer than Detroit? Of course not... the residents of Detroit are much poorer than those of Mississauga, but they all still find a way to own cars because they are forced to because the public transit system is so bad.

In other words, it is car-dependency that is forced upon people, not transit-dependency.

Another key factor is children. These days people under 25 are very unlikely to have families, and therefore can afford to live closer to downtown where they work. By the time they hit their mid 30s -- if my friends are any indication -- many will move to the burbs because they need more space and can't afford a big enough house downtown. Or at least that will be the excuse given... :p

Though it depends. From visual evidence (baby carriages etc), nabes like Roncy might as well be "the burbs" these days...

They could have used several indicators, but they went with "green" because it is all the buzz.

Young people tend to use more transit. Young people tend to me more green. Young people tend of live in downtown, urban areas. Young people tend to have less money. Young people tend to have lifestyles that do not require a car (no kids to pick up from school and then ship to dance lessons). Young people tend not ot have to do massive family-sized grocery shopping trips. Young people tend to spend their income on other items, like grad school, backpacking trips, ipods, etc.

All of these tend to be true (key word is "tend"). And they all help explain each other. This article is just common knowledge fluff repackaged as news.

I could get a car if I wanted to but choose not to. I know there are a lot of people who take transit now simply because it's more convenient than driving in rush hour.

I think that there are many circumstances that make younger people more "green", most notably lack of money and lack of kids. But having said that, I absolutely think that when those factors are removed, younger people still tend to be greener than older people, and today's young people are most likely greener than the previous generation of young people.

I drive around everywhere but If I need to go anywhere near the city of Toronto especially the older sections I take transit as parking can really really add up..

Back