News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm sitting at Starbucks at Parliament and Carlton last night meeting with a graphic artists for a product development project from work. We are sitting at a small table drinking coffees, talking very quietly, discussing the required aspects of the packaging artwork, etc. and looking at some very small competitor samples I brought.

Beside me, in an admittedly tight and close table sits one of "those guys". You know them, the guys with goatee, pile of paper or i-whatever product who is writing his soon to be famous novel or critically important college paper, etc.... So, my new neighbour keeps looking at my colleague and I every time we speak in hushed tones (not for his sake, but because I'm discussing confidential industrial matters in a public space).

I came very close to telling him to get lost, well not as nicely as that. My point is, if you want to sit in quiet while you work on whatever then stay at home. I like cafe's in Europe, everyone's chatting, waving, walking, etc. and no one goes there to be alone. Starbucks is not a library folks!

Laptop lingerers be warned http://gothamist.com/2011/09/23/stabucks_kicking_out_paying_custome.php

Last edited:
Well, it is a public space like you said, and to not expect someone not to look just because you're discussing something confidential is also expecting too much. The S'bucks isn't a library, nor is it a confession booth.

AoD

Well, it is a public space like you said, and to not expect someone not to look just because you're discussing something confidential is also expecting too much. The S'bucks isn't a library, nor is it a confession booth.

AoD
I'm afraid I've spent too much time describing the specifics of the occurrence. Forget the details, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted or deserved privacy, heck if you're interested in what I'm talking about, looking at or reading, pull up a chair and strike up a chat, like you would in a cafe anyplace else in the world. If I'm doing anything super confidential for work I'll not be at Starbucks, or any public spot.

So, let's re-start. You're sitting at Starbucks chatting at regular, hushed volume with someone at your table. The fellow at the next table keeps looking up and giving you an annoyed look every time you speak. Do you do anything? Do nothing, ignore him and carry on (that's my choice)?

I'm afraid I've spent too much time describing the specifics of the occurrence. Forget the details, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted or deserved privacy, heck if you're interested in what I'm talking about, looking at or reading, pull up a chair and strike up a chat, like you would in a cafe anyplace else in the world. If I'm doing anything super confidential for work I'll not be at Starbucks, or any public spot.

So, let's re-start. You're sitting at Starbucks chatting at regular, hushed volume with someone at your table. The fellow at the next table keeps looking up and giving you an annoyed look every time you speak. Do you do anything? Do nothing, ignore him and carry on (that's my choice)?

go rob ford on him, first verbally abuse him and if he wont listen take a few swings.

That's pretty much the only thing you can do - receiving dirty looks isn't something worth responding to. If he is annoyed enough, he will probably draw the first blood (along the lines of - "can you tone it down a little bit, I am trying to....") then you'd have a legitimate case to call him out on it.

AoD

I like cafe's in Europe, everyone's chatting, waving, walking, etc. and no one goes there to be alone. Starbucks is not a library folks!

Laptop lingerers be warned http://gothamist.com/2011/09/23/stabucks_kicking_out_paying_custome.php

Kind of like every other non Starbucks coffee shop in the city? Even Tim Hortons is full of people socializing, no laptop lingerers there!! Last time i went to Starbucks with a friend we had to put up with blu tooth folks talking loudly to themselves, it was like drinking coffee in the psychiatric ward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Starbucks on King W (Hyatt) recently and while waiting for a table I noticed that 6 out of ~10 tables were taken up by persons who had set up office. The thing that bugged me is I could see no crumb or cup of evidence that they had spent a penny there. Some had brought their own food and drink. Never did get a seat.

story_xlimage_2010_06_r9051_starbucks_laptop_photos.jpg

If I was Starbucks I'd remove the electrical outlets and wi-fi. You've got to encourage frequent foot traffic and transactions.

I think the main problem is going to a Starbucks for a business meeting. I've had businesses lunches and quick coffee meetings with customers but we never introduce anything confidential or private until we get back to a private office.

I was at Starbucks on King W (Hyatt) recently and while waiting for a table I noticed that 6 out of ~10 tables were taken up by persons who had set up office. The thing that bugged me is I could see no crumb or cup of evidence that they had spent a penny there. Some had brought their own food and drink. Never did get a seat.

Well, that's why they opened the Starbucks practically across the street at M5V.

Starbucks is absolutely awful for this. They need to start enforcing some kind of policy. Half the time I can never get a seat with a friend or a date because students are taking up every seat with piles of books and papers, and laptops. Meanwhile not a drink or food item is to be seen. And they sit there for HOURS.

I'm curious as to whether the Chapters-Indigo/Starbucks alliance works in favour of Chapters-Indigo? At locations where the two co-exist, I routinely see people grab books from Chapters, buy a Starbucks coffee, then sit at Starbucks for extended periods of time reading their book(s). Starbucks gets their business but what about Chapters? Nevermind the fact that the majority of people grab handfuls of books off the shelves, find a spot along the windows to sit & read until they're done reading before dropping the books off and leaving the store empty-handed.

Starbucks is absolutely awful for this. They need to start enforcing some kind of policy. Half the time I can never get a seat with a friend or a date because students are taking up every seat with piles of books and papers, and laptops. Meanwhile not a drink or food item is to be seen. And they sit there for HOURS.

You take your dates to Starbucks? How romantic ;)

Back