News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Montreal is overbuilt for the population it has today.
I guess in terms of housing, that's true. But there is still construction everywhere. They are spending billions on widened highways, new bridges and the REM light metro.

Quebec is much larger in population but expenditures are lower or similar
1689869295852.png
1689869311282.png

Lower incomes. The average wage in Montreal is way lower than a Calgary, Ottawa or Edmonton. Even though the average price of a house is cheaper, the wages, being much lower, and the property taxes being higher, make it less affordable.
You also have the fact that immigration is driving housing and Montreal isn’t receiving a high rate of immigration relative to other cities like Toronto, Vancouver, or Calgary
Bingo. Affordability is more about household incomes compared to house prices. Montreal is considerably less affordable than Calgary. The price of house in Montreal is not much less than Calgary, but the average household income is 2/3rds of Calgary.
And these numbers are recent. 6 months or a year ago Montreal's average house price was actually higher than Calgary's. I don't know what the property taxes are in Montreal, but I've always heard that they are higher than Calgary, so that would factor in as well.

Mortgage-percent-of-income-table.png

Moncton might we weird due to City vs CMA. They have a contiguous city and town. Or the report is looking at households with mortgages not all households. Have a link to the report?

Reactions: AJX
I wonder why Moncton's household income is at that level?
From the internet:

"Moncton's economy relies heavily on the export markets, particularly services-based exports". (Read: Call Centres)

"Moncton's central location in the Maritimes has the largest catchment area in Atlantic Canada with 1.4 million people living within a three-hour drive of the city"

I honestly had no idea the are had that many people. I can see why the CFL sees opportunity in the Maritimes.

Last edited:
"Moncton's central location in the Maritimes has the largest catchment area in Atlantic Canada with 1.4 million people living within a three-hour drive of the city"
It is less than 3 hours from Halifax, 2 hours from the Halifax International Airport. It ends up on the wrong side of the 'break the Calgary habit' airport wise. Then its airport hasn't gathered enough flights to aggregate traffic from Fredericton, Saint John, and PEI.

There is a perennial NB policy issue - go all in on a new airport positioned (or one of the existing ones) to serve the three cities, or continue to try to support better air service for three centres.

Calgary Housing starts for the first half of 2023

SFHSemi-DetachedRowMulti-FamilyTotal

Of the 3506 multi-family, 1255 were started in DT, inner city, or established areas. I'd like to see the number higher, but it's not terrible. The last 4 months have been slow, with only 134 new units started in in DT, inner city, or established areas. Let's hope that picks up.

I wonder why Moncton's household income is at that level?
Moncton might we weird due to City vs CMA. They have a contiguous city and town. Or the report is looking at households with mortgages not all households. Have a link to the report?
From the internet:

"Moncton's economy relies heavily on the export markets, particularly services-based exports". (Read: Call Centres)

I honestly had no idea the are had that many people. I can see why the CFL sees opportunity in the Maritimes.
I googled this because it didn’t seem to add up and results show Moncton around 70-80k for household income, which makes more sense.
I have relatives there and have spent time there, I’m 99.9% sure the average household income is much less than 100k.

Back