News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

What does the 18-24 and 28-40 mean? I thought it was age at first but that doesn't make sense since there must be people outside of these age ranges that are moving here.
Good question. I would have assumed age also, but it's missing some groups. The math lines up if the only net migration was from people in those age groups. Maybe a typo?

Housing starts August 2024. Edmonton had a strong showing, and Calgary with a solid showing. Vancouver sluggish still, with Montreal and Ottawa really quite sluggish.

CitySFHsemirowapartmenttotal
Toronto5442057910202163
Edmonton6911322228231868
Vancouver1927022712371726
Calgary5971983485521695
Montreal9024611181238
Ott/Gat16328180374745

Employment growth seems to have slowed, I wonder when we'll see the population growth drop as well. The lack of rent control, poor public transit (compared to the big 3 cities), and cold winters, it's pretty hard to live here without regular employment.

Employment growth seems to have slowed, I wonder when we'll see the population growth drop as well. The lack of rent control, poor public transit (compared to the big 3 cities), and cold winters, it's pretty hard to live here without regular employment.
Jobs are generally the driving force for growth, but for international immigration it's not always job related. We'll see Calgary's population growth start to slow (as it will for the other major metros) as international immigration slows, but lack of rent control or cold winters or good transit won't factor in much. Even with lack of rent control, rents are still cheaper here than 5 of the other 6 metros. Outside of Vancouver's winters, the other 5 metro's winters aren't drastically different enough to make a difference. Transit is lacking compared to the big three, but I rarely meet people from other cities who make their decision based on transit.
Calgary is in enough of a sweet spot, that even though it will lose out in some categories, it usually does well in others. For example.
- Calgary transit lacks compared to the big three, but it's here easier to afford a home that's not far from downtown. It's also easier to drive here, and many people still prefer that mode.
- Calgary is colder on average than Vancouver or Toronto, but gets more sunny days. Calgary beats out Ottawa and Edmonton for Winter weather.
- Calgary accommodation is more expensive than Edmonton, but still cheaper than the other metros. Similar cost compared to Montreal, but higher wages.

I'm not trying to say Calgary is better than those other cities, only that you can't really look at population growth as being determined by public transit or cold winters, and that it's not really any harder to live here than it is anywhere else without regular employment.

Last edited:
Jobs are generally the driving force for growth, but for international immigration it's not always job related. We'll see Calgary's population growth start to slow (as it will for the other major metros) as international immigration slows, but lack of rent control or cold winters or good transit won't factor in much. Even with lack of rent control, rents are still cheaper here than 5 of the other 6 metros. Outside of Vancouver's winters, the other 5 metro's winters aren't drastically different enough to make a difference. Transit is lacking compared to the big three, but I rarely meet people from other cities who make their decision based on transit.
Calgary is in enough of a sweet spot, that even though it will lose out in some categories, it usually does well in others. For example.
- Calgary transit lacks compared to the big three, but it's here easier to afford a home that's not far from downtown. It's also easier to drive here, and many people still prefer that mode.
- Calgary is colder on average than Vancouver or Toronto, but gets more sunny days. Calgary beats out Ottawa and Edmonton for Winter weather.
- Calgary accommodation is more expensive than Edmonton, but still cheaper than the other metros. Similar cost compared to Montreal, but higher wages.

I'm not trying to say Calgary is better than those other cities, only that you can't really look at population growth as being determined by public transit or cold winters, and that it's no harder to live here than it is anywhere else without regular employment.
As someone that moved here from Toronto, I definitely understand the value Calgary offers. My point was more for people on the margins, with temporary/unstable employment. Without rent control, there's little certainty to your biggest expense, and many newcomers to places like Toronto and Vancouver, start by sharing accommodations, so they benefit from rent control. Good transit takes away the need for a car, which is also a major expense. I think Calgary offers a really good lifestyle for middle class individuals/families, but if employment is constrained, I'm not sure how these newcomers (to Alberta, incl. interprovincial) will be able to afford to live here

A lot of us who’ve been here over a decade (me) are severely struggling now, even despite having a kinda sweet deal on rent given how nice my place is. Paying 1495 for my own one bedroom place on the 29th floor with a near panoramic view of the Rockies being a “sweet deal” here seems pretty crazy. But better than the 1900+ they’re charging newcomers.

Back