News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
At least it'll look like the normal toll of years of neglect right when it opens. Let's see, after a few years the shrubs in the exterior view will be replaced with some low-maintenance asphalt and be littered with cigarette butts, the luminaires will start working erratically and get disconnected and replaced with some big box store lights, and the outer concrete walls on the platform will be black with brake dust so that the station name is almost illegible. Then it'll fit right in with the rest of the system, but it'll be pretty cool for the first couple of years.

Wonderful ! A hoot if built as rendered. One can only hope, and Albert try keeping your glass half full, this being TO and all.

Back to the drawing board?

I don't like either proposal. The first one looks like two computer mice opposing each other, and the exterior of the second proposal looks like some vehicle from a Star Wars movie. I do like the interior of the 2nd propossal, however they need to rethink the exterior. Also the other canopy entrance looks like it was designed in the 60s with differnt material. Please design something better and more modern that looks less dated and less like parts from a steel mill.

The type of people who don't get/like Alsop's OCAD will not like these.

It does look cool. But, like many have said, I think the TTC forgets that they have to maintain these stations. Given the system barely has enough money to keep its current stations in "moderately shoddy" state, how do they expect to maintain these colossi? Don't get me wrong. They're very nice and I wish we could have stations like this without looking like crap in a few years of wear-and-tear and no budget to fix problems. But, I'm dubious on whether or not that's the case. Frankly, I'd be happier if we went a more Montreal-esque style of using cavernous spaces to awe and simple, easy-to-maintain art for design.

I'd be curious to see what the design details of the York U stop will be. Given that that station will be by far the most used (I believe Steeles West is anticipating about 4,000 passengers a day), if we're building Taj Mahal stations for the subway extension, I'd rather funds go into that one.

So far I am impressed with the designs for these new stations, however what really bothers me is the unfinished concrete walls on the platform level. I hope these stations dont start looking like the stations on the Sheppard line which have those awful unfinished exposed concrete walls.
Couldn't the ttc spend a few more dollars on covering up those awful concrete walls with some colorful tiles or some other type of finish instead of leaving them unfinished and dirty looking?
If the TTC start taking out the character from theses stations, how will Spacing make their subway buttons interesting? ;)

Some interesting site plans. Of note a TTC bus terminal with a lot of articulated buses, and a commuter parking lot that puts the bulk of the spaces far from the entrance while strange shapes sit in the grass under two of the three sets of power lines.

Back