News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
From Toronto Star Editorial Stimulus Funding Has Tight Strings:

"[Infrastructure stimulus projects] must be new projects, not something already planned for the next two years. All major construction work must be completed by March 31, 2011. And half of the funding must be spent in this fiscal year (ending March 31, 2010)."

It's likely too late to coordinate this, but has there ever been precedent for the city to request funding to work with a developer and TCHC to say, buy a second phase of a construction project, such as Ice Condo or U Condo?

I was at the York council meeting described here and there was indeed a lot of questioning how will this work. Every muni in Canada got the criteria on April 15 and everyone has to have projects submitted by Friday.

I hope the feds have spare bureaucrats to crunch all that quickly. I'm curious to see what Toronto puts forward since they're surely rushing to get their own list done.

As a Thornhill resident I'm kinda hoping they use this opportunity to fix Steeles Avenue since Toronto agrees it needs to be fixed but doesn't want to pay...problem solved?

And sort-of in answer to the question posed: I understand it's not only munis that can apply (I think agencies can, for example) but I think private developers might be a bit much. I don't think Flaherty would object, mind you.

All this stimulus money takes so long to roll out that the recovery might be underway before it gets anywhere. I'm not saying I don't think the money should be spent mind you, the municipalities certainly need the money, I'm just remarking on the irony of it all.

Back