News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Oh no! Wouldn't want to have it only 4-6 feet from the sidewalk. In Mississauga it needs to be at LEAST 20 feet! :rolleyes:

I do understand that there should be a step-up though. But building right up to the sidewalk is part of what makes a city a proper city.

That makes sense. What are they expecting, enough space for a small parking lot?

My one current beef with the developer is how they're already making it sound like the new park on the old Arsenal lands is already open while it's still fenced off and still under phoytoremediation and will likely be years until it opens to the public. I realize it's the buyer should do their homework, but oh man, it's a complete and utter lie to the public.

Well, you have to consider that occupancies for the proposed condo are also likely not to occur for a few years - so the park may be open by then (I don't know when it's actually scheduled to open).

I would also hope that anyone considering buying a new home may actually want to visit the site... that should really not be a problem, if someone can't make the effort to check out the place where they are buying a home I can't feel sorry for them if the area isn't what they expected.

City planners topple Lakeview condo tower

City planners are recommending against a proposed 21-storey condominium in Lakeview. Meanwhile, Ward 1 councillor Carmen Corbasson admits she's concerned because the builder is already selling units.

By: Joe Chin

January 10, 2008 08:49 AM - City of Mississauga planning staff has come out strongly against a 21-storey condominium proposed for Lakeview, setting the stage for what could be a protracted battle before the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB).

The recommendation to reject the application follows a public meeting last October attended by more than 250 residents. Most were opposed to the project which, if approved, would see a 260-unit tower built at the northeast corner of Lakeshore Rd. E. and Deta Rd.

Following the meeting, the developer, Queenscorp (Lakeview) Inc., was invited to meet with the City to discuss changes to the design.

“That never happened, although talking with (Queenscorp president) Mark Bozzo, he was probably looking at lopping off a couple of storeys. However, that would still be far too dense,†said Ward 1 City councillor Carmen Corbasson.

The builder has referred the application to the OMB, and a pre-hearing is scheduled for the end of this month.

Not unexpectedly, planning staff is siding with residents.

“The (application) cannot be supported from a planning standpoint and should not be approved,†said staff in a 24-page report.

The report cited the following concerns about the development:

• that it will not achieve a healthy, vibrant and livable community as called for in the Province’s growth plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe

• that it’s not consistent and compatible with the vision for the Lakeshore Rd. E. corridor

• that the site is too small to accommodate the proposed density (200 units per acre), which is without precedent in the area

“This degree of intensification is not contemplated in either the Mississauga Plan nor the current Lakeview District Policies, and furthermore policy evaluations are presently underway pertaining to (the area),†the report reads.

Queenscorp has noted there are already three existing apartment buildings in the neighbourhood ranging in height from 12-20 storeys. Staff, however, points out that those buildings are surrounded by acres of greenspace, and not crammed into 1.35 acres of land.

The site is also well served by GO, the TTC and Mississauga Transit, a fact Corbasson acknowledges.

Residents, she notes, are not against intensification; they just won't support it at that high a level.

“This community has said they’re willing to look at increased height, but not 21 storeys. They’re willing to compromise, but the builder has to come back and give them something to work with. He hasn’t done that to date,†said Corbasson.

Meanwhile, despite the outcry and uncertainty, Queenscorp has started selling units.

That concerns Corbasson.

“I’ve had a few calls from potential buyers and they asked me what my position is. I told them I won’t be supporting the application as it stands. If they buy, they’ll be taking their chances that the application will be approved at the OMB.

“It’s unfortunate there isn’t legslation that prohibits builders from doing that,†she said.

wow, shitty deal. This cant be good for sales on this one. What is the tallest building near there currently? I thought there was atleast one slab apartment in the mid-teens floorwise...?

Redroom, the answer to your question is in the article above.

Queenscorp has noted there are already three existing apartment buildings in the neighbourhood ranging in height from 12-20 storeys. Staff, however, points out that those buildings are surrounded by acres of greenspace, and not crammed into 1.35 acres of land.

So what does Mississauga staff want? More towers in the park?

In fact, this building is planned to go in across from a park, so the screams of 'too much density' sound entirely NIMBY to me, even from the planners. Lakeshore, and this area, can easily handle an influx of new residents, as the soon to be reopened (as a park) Arsenal Lands added to Etobicoke's Marie Curtis Park represents hundreds of acres of contiguous green space clear down to the lake.

Silly NIMBYs.

It's walking distance from Long Branch GO, it's north of Lakeshore, and Lakeview is crying for more people and amenities, which condos like this will contribute to. Tall towers seem to be fine in other places, MCC, Hurontario corridor, Mavis/Eglinton. Port Credit has the tall slabs north of Lakeshore as well (and shorter condos and retail and parks south). There's so much precedent in Mississauga for better planning. I wonder if someone influential is objecting - it can't be Hazel, she lives in Streetsville.

I have mixed feelinga about this one but in its current form, this one deserves to get the boot. While a lot of the NIMBY concerns are the typical screaming over nothing ones that come up with most developments, there are a lof of other factors working against it imo (and which showed up in the planning report).

1. The developer has refused to add any retail component fronting out along Lakeshore, which is an obvious for any building going in along this corridor which is the obvious first blow to this one. (The current Lakeview Planning Policies include having retail along Lakeshore)

2. The current frontage has a noticeable change in grade from one end to the other. The current proposal has it so that the underground parking ends up jetting up 1.5m at its heighest point, so adding retail later is even out of the question since pedestrians would just be facing a blank wall. (Referred to as an unfriendly pedestrian environment in the planning report)

3. It won't to have any trees on the direct property as the parking structure ends up being built up to 1 foot from the property line and not deep enough to provide for the root systems to grow.

In all honesty, a 21 storey doesn't fit in with the overall neighbourhood. A smarter solution imo, is for Queenscop to buy the one storey restaurant nextdoor and extend the site eastward. Build a 12-15 storey tower at the corner of Deta and Lakshore (west side of site), and a 15-17 storey at the other end (near the current condo's access road). The east side overlooks parkland mostly so except for lost sightlines to the towers slightly north of it, the "looming" effect would be taken care of. A 5-7 floor podium would stretch across the two and have retail units facing out towards Lakeshore.

The application was refused about an hour and a half ago, complete with Hazel giving the developer a stern talkin' to.

Judging from his demeanor, looks like it's OMB bound.

I couldn't be glader that this one hit the fan. Hopefully a revised development will get the chance to go here since the current one has too many flaws, in an area that has plenty of potential.

highrise0901.jpg

highrise0902.jpg

Back