News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There are rules used to determine when a rail crossing must be grade separated. There doesn't need to be a big push to make all crossings grade separated just because a GO train or a VIA train go there. None of our rail lines have subway like frequencies.

There are rules used to determine when a rail crossing must be grade separated. There doesn't need to be a big push to make all crossings grade separated just because a GO train or a VIA train go there. None of our rail lines have subway like frequencies.

While true that there are rules, a number of intersections (including Strachan) have been well over the normally acceptable limit for many years.

Yes, but by adding a track or other EA requiring improvement they are forced to deal with those rules. Most of the other lines in the city would also require an additional track to provide frequent service and that would force them to build to the rules.

Also, wouldn't electrification require all crossings to be grade separated anyways? Grade separation is a good start to electrification...

Also, wouldn't electrification require all crossings to be grade separated anyways? Grade separation is a good start to electrification...

No, it would not. Overhead catenary would absolutely not need grade separation, and there are plenty of 3rd rail crossings on the LIRR and on Metro-North.

I don't know about the electrification reason's for grade seperating lines but I do know that grade seperations increase the speed and reliability of trains as well as road traffic at these crossings. And at the same time increasing the speed and efficiency of these line and road traffic the safety increases at the same time. I am glad the Strachan Ave is being grade seperated for the trains running in that corridor. I live in Scarborough and I don't travel farther west the St. George Station very often but I greatly appreciate this investment in GO Transit's infrastructure- it is TO's infrastructure as well. Their was a cyclist killed just a little while ago on the Stouffville line at Finch crossing and I hope that Metrolinx, or the city, or both, find the funds to grade separate more of our level crossings. I am mostly familiar with Scarborough and I know the Stouffville line crosses at grade at Sheppard as well and it is being grade seperated, thanks in part to Sheppard East LRT funding, hopefully GO grade seperates this line at Finch, Progress and Danforth Rd (just west of Midland-near my home) as well. This Stouffville line isn't as busy as the Georgetown or Milton's lines probably, but, I really feel that grade seperations are a much needed investment for our safety first and secondly for increasing the efficiencys of both train and road traffic.

^ Absolutely. I just don't think we should confuse the issues as to why we're doing it.

High frequency, high speed trains require grade separation due to safety concerns.

Electrification often accompanies high frequency/high speed trains but does not directly require it.

High frequency, high speed trains require grade separation due to safety concerns.

Electrification often accompanies high frequency/high speed trains but does not directly require it.
I'm not aware of any serious proposals to construct in Ontario though.

I'm not aware of any serious proposals to construct in Ontario though.

High speed in the highway sense of the word (80km/h or better).

It's a combination of stopping distance (heavy trains have a very long one) and frequency of crossings by vehicles, pedestrians, and trains as to when a grade separation is required.

Most of Georgetown, Milton, and Lake Shore corridors (Oakville is particularly bad) crossed the threshold years ago.

High speed in the highway sense of the word (80km/h or better).
If that's what you mean by high speed, I believe you are incorrect. I don't think there is any requirement for grade separation due to safety concerns at such speeds.[/QUOTE]

It is scary taking pictures on the Long Branch platform when a VIA train goes by. The way the wind pushes you around as the engine passes makes you wonder how safe it is. In Japan there are shinkansen stations where the trains go by at near full speed but at those locations the train is either on a middle non-platformed track or there are waist high barricades set back from the edge of the platform between 1 and 3 metres which remain closed unless a train is stopped on the track.

It is scary taking pictures on the Long Branch platform when a VIA train goes by. The way the wind pushes you around as the engine passes makes you wonder how safe it is. In Japan there are shinkansen stations where the trains go by at near full speed but at those locations the train is either on a middle non-platformed track or there are waist high barricades set back from the edge of the platform between 1 and 3 metres which remain closed unless a train is stopped on the track.

I used to take the GO train back from Burlington some nights, and the 11:14 train out always has a VIA train go by about 5 minutes before it shows up. Even when you see it coming and you've braced yourself, it's still a pretty big gust of wind and a pretty loud sound. Someone who is less stable on their feet could definitely be toppled over. So yes, I would agree that VIA trains blowing through GO stations at 105 km/h is definitely more of a danger than at-grade crossings.

It always kinda miffed me how people could get hit by a train at an at-grade crossing. You'd think that if you were going to cross the tracks, that a quick look both ways revealing a bright light coming at you would probably be an indication that you shouldn't cross.

I used to take the GO train back from Burlington some nights, and the 11:14 train out always has a VIA train go by about 5 minutes before it shows up. Even when you see it coming and you've braced yourself, it's still a pretty big gust of wind and a pretty loud sound. Someone who is less stable on their feet could definitely be toppled over. So yes, I would agree that VIA trains blowing through GO stations at 105 km/h is definitely more of a danger than at-grade crossings.

It always kinda miffed me how people could get hit by a train at an at-grade crossing. You'd think that if you were going to cross the tracks, that a quick look both ways revealing a bright light coming at you would probably be an indication that you shouldn't cross.

Isn't that the point, though?

Fast trains going through stations are inherrently less dangerous because no one is trying to cross the tracks at that point....whereas at-grade-crossings are, well, crossing points...sure people should be more careful but, in the absence of that, I think crossing points are more dangerous than, you know, standing and waiting points. Just my opinion though.

Back