News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Those guys really tick me off. If you go past them without acknowledging their existence, they shout stuff thats within a hair of accusing you of being racist ("don't want to talk to a black man?"); if you give them a moment's time its ten minutes to get away without saying something rude.

At least the Nation of Islam sells delicious bean pies when they congregate on street corners in LA. Who wants a book of photocopies for a sawbuck?

I've never read the book they're selling, but I'm tempted. I bet it would explain the persecution complex these guys have.

My strategy when confronted by these fundraisers is to put on a thick (though not distinctive) accent and say "no English." If they keep trying to talk to you, give them a puzzled look and walk away. It's extra convincing when you pretend to make a phone call/are with a friend and make up your own language (unless you speak another one already...better hope the fundraiser doesn't speak it though). This strategy has never failed me.

I really depise comments like these ... they fall into the same boat as why does Hydro 1's CEO max so much $$$ or why any high ranking employee of a government backed corporations (LCBO/OLG/...) ... the point is they get paid whatever the market stipultes - likely less actually in government positions - if you want to attract the best talent that's what it takes ... if the CEO's of every other private company get paid X and you want to pay them X/2 ... who are you likely to get?

Yeah, I get what you're saying but that's not what I meant at all. When I was with the City I could and would defend Shirley or Joe's 300k+ salaries whenever challenged on them. The concept of exchanging significant merit for pay, particularly at the executive level in the public service is a vital one.

Just suggesting they pick their targets better. Head over to bay street or something and try to beg from the people with six figure salaries, not my broke self.

Their aim is to make money by selling a photocopied book for $10. Basically it is aggressive panhandling disguised as activism.

Ha. My poor nephew was up in Toronto visiting me. He's from Windsor and basically you talk to anyone in the street that talks to you. They cornered him. Offered him the book. Mighty friendly, he thought. Then they asked him for money. "Sorry, I don't have any spare change." "Do you have $20?" That's like his food buget for the month. Yeah. Sorry. No.

Ha. My poor nephew was up in Toronto visiting me. He's from Windsor and basically you talk to anyone in the street that talks to you. They cornered him. Offered him the book. Mighty friendly, he thought. Then they asked him for money. "Sorry, I don't have any spare change." "Do you have $20?" That's like his food buget for the month. Yeah. Sorry. No.

$20 food budget for a month? Yikes. Get the kid a vest and a clipboard and he can start collecting donations on Yonge.

Next time they threaten to call the cops, ask them to please do so. As a concerned citizen, you have nothing to fear from the police.

In addition, let them know that you've been collecting documentation for any of the following "catch-all" charges and if necessary, you'll persue a restraining order. You don't have to actually do or mean it, but it should be enough to out bluff them. Also, any real charities must show identification and proof that they are authorized to solicit funds for the charity if asked. You can call the organization to make sure the person is legitimate. If not, they are directly breaking the law and could very likely be charged.

Causing Disturbance s175
Loitering s175
Common Nuisance s180
Mischief s430

Yeah, I get what you're saying but that's not what I meant at all. When I was with the City I could and would defend Shirley or Joe's 300k+ salaries whenever challenged on them. The concept of exchanging significant merit for pay, particularly at the executive level in the public service is a vital one.

Just suggesting they pick their targets better. Head over to bay street or something and try to beg from the people with six figure salaries, not my broke self.

I work in the financial sector....spend a lot of time walking on King/Bay/York etc. I can assure you there is probably no part of town more saturated with Sick Kid's fundraisers than the streets around the bank towers.

Ironically this method has cost Sick Kids at least one financial supporter (me).....I can't imagine that such a valued and treasured institution had to stoop to this tactic....since I was first stopped on the street by these people (about a year ago) I have not given a penny to the hospital...and I told them that.

Fundraisers are paid a base salary plus commissions, if they collect money beyond a certain amount. They are individuals without a job trying to make an 'honest' living. Obviously, enough individuals are giving money to these fund raisers to make it worthwhile for them and the Hospital to flood the downtown area.

Generally, I find the SickKids fund raisers to be quite polite.

I recently volunteered with an (unnamed) charitable organization, literally shaking a can and asking for donations no the platform at Bloor Station. I can tell you this -- it's not easy. A few people did come up though to thank me for donating my time for charity. One confused individual came up to me and inexplicably said "I don't like that Stephen Harper."

General rules I followed was to stay in one place, don't block people as they rush for the subway, be polite and of course don't harass people who have said no and are waiting on the platform. Generally, people don't like to feel trapped by a fundraiser while they're waiting for their subway.

"(Sick Kids) fundraisers are paid a base salary plus commissions, if they collect money beyond a certain amount. They are individuals without a job trying to make an 'honest' living. Obviously, enough individuals are giving money to these fund raisers to make it worthwhile for them and the Hospital to flood the downtown area. "

Why do all these well groomed boys and girls look like graduate students to me? If about 90% of medical research funds go to salaries of researchers then these kids are raising funds to pay their own future salaries...ie deferred begging.

Indeed.....

Their aim is to make money by selling a photocopied book for $10. Basically it is aggressive panhandling disguised as activism.

Yeah. My roommate is a black woman and she was calling this scam by these guys years ago and it's kind of obvious that something is not legit with how they try and sell themselves on the basis of black history. As for aggressive charity fundraising on the streets?

Personally I have never experienced this. The vast majority of the fundraisers in the streets working for charities ( which are always young and cute looking people) smile and thank me for my time when I quietly say "no thank you" to them. I guess others have different experiences.

Last edited:
Why do all these well groomed boys and girls look like graduate students to me? If about 90% of medical research funds go to salaries of researchers then these kids are raising funds to pay their own future salaries...ie deferred begging.

What does a grad student look like?

I work in the financial sector....spend a lot of time walking on King/Bay/York etc. I can assure you there is probably no part of town more saturated with Sick Kid's fundraisers than the streets around the bank towers.

Ironically this method has cost Sick Kids at least one financial supporter (me).....I can't imagine that such a valued and treasured institution had to stoop to this tactic....since I was first stopped on the street by these people (about a year ago) I have not given a penny to the hospital...and I told them that.

Not just sick kids but every other charity known to man. Add on top of it the numerous of internal fundraisers held by the companies and their employees. Oh, don't forget the few hundred homeless people/panhandlers that get fed by the same. I"m still pleasantly surprised to see commuters dropping off sandwiches, water, coffee to homeless people on the way to work.

Someone mentioned to send more to king and bay? Please note the majority of the workers in the bank towers earn less than 100k and even below 50K. Low tier bank workers are notoriously underpaid (i.e tellers, back office workers, adminstration etc.) and they number in the thousands in the financial district. Add on top of it the thousands of cleaning people, couriers, assistants who also work in the area.

I'm not saying that people in the financial district should close their wallets completely. I used to work in fundraising and was always impressed by the amount of funds the companies and employees in the financial district donate (i.e. the United Way and all the superbuild cultural institutions). The concentration of companies in the area does make perfect sense for charities to target. However, there is donation fatigue when these people are asked to donate to a new charity almost every other day and the majority of them don't make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

Back