8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Meanwhile, on University Avenue:

Toronto Hydro just doesn’t give a damn.

3A34FFC8-0C33-4D12-9DFB-E9C149439E96.jpeg

So, I happened to pass through this area again late this afternoon, and it was dark, the fixtures illuminated.

So I can confirm they are LED; they provide a fairly warm white light.

Pictures below:

View attachment 284255

View attachment 284256

Without any tall buildings near by, tough to tell how much reduction in light pollution there may be.

But I consider the fact that I can see the strong glow of the light itself several poles away a bit of a disappointment. (ie. the light should more downwardly focused.)
In the first picture, you can see the tree is visibly darker above the light. Could that be a better indicator? Will need more pictures (from the same camera) of current lighting fixtures for comparison.
I am glad they've settled with warm white, unlike the ones used in York and Peel.

View attachment 284283
Doesn't Toronto have a Streetscape Manual that explains which lights (furniture, pavers, etc.) to use on each street? Why don't they ever follow them? They constantly replace decorative lights (in other areas) with utilitarian ones! What's the point of public realm improvements if they're just going to reverse the city's work with their neglect?!

View attachment 284283
As I reported a few months ago, THSL told us that they have run out of Acorns and cannot buy more. They will be using Cobras as replacements for MANY types of "customised'" luminaires. In St Lawrence they are replacing short metal pole "Victorians" with tall Acorns/Cobras (e,g at 80 Front East and at 77 Front East) and in front of Young People's Theatre) Sigh!! Write your Councillors, it will be happening all over the City!

Doesn't Toronto have a Streetscape Manual that explains which lights (furniture, pavers, etc.) to use on each street? Why don't they ever follow them? They constantly replace decorative lights (in other areas) with utilitarian ones! What's the point of public realm improvements if they're just going to reverse the city's work with their neglect?!
That's a good question (or comment) and the Streetscape Manual certainly does list many different lighting styles for specific streets. Unfortunately, the Manual is a City Planning document while the decision to install light x or y is a Toronto Hydro Street Lighting one and they pay ZERO attention to what the manual says! In fairness to THSL, they say that these 'better' poles and luminaires may be lovely BUT they cost more and unless the City (through Transportation) pays extra they only have $$ to install 'the basics". Naturally the City does not want to pay more so ..... (THSL is a 'break-even' division of Toronto Hydro that cannot be subsidised by the (regulated) part that supplies hydro.)

As I reported a few months ago, THSL told us that they have run out of Acorns and cannot buy more. They will be using Cobras as replacements for MANY types of "customised'" luminaires. In St Lawrence they are replacing short metal pole "Victorians" with tall Acorns/Cobras (e,g at 80 Front East and at 77 Front East) and in front of Young People's Theatre) Sigh!! Write your Councillors, it will be happening all over the City!

And not a peep from any councillors or the mayor. This is what we deserve for electing the people that we do.

And not a peep from any councillors or the mayor. This is what we deserve for electing the people that we do.

That may be what other people deserve, based on who they voter for; I deserve better! LOL

Side note, don't accept it.

We all need to vent; but by itself, it doesn't change much.

Your local Councillor may not be a help, but email the Mayor........

He got on the whole design excellence bandwagon awhile back; (really); so hold him to his word.

The cheapest bit of design excellence ever is not watering down what we already have.

PS, here's UT's own story on that initiative for reference:

That is not true - as part of a St Lawrence coalition I was (and maybe still am) working with both Councillors Wong-Tam and Cressy who are VERY supportive.. Our meetings have ceased due to covid but we were making some limited progress. I agree that the matter needs to become a CITY-WIDE one as it will affect all Wards sooner or later and there are usually good reasons why an area or street has 'special lighting'. The only way it may be changed if we get even the suburban Councillors to see that this will, sooner or later, affect THEIR special lights!

That is not true - as part of a St Lawrence coalition I was (and maybe still am) working with both Councillors Wong-Tam and Cressy who are VERY supportive.. Our meetings have ceased due to covid but we were making some limited progress. I agree that the matter needs to become a CITY-WIDE one as it will affect all Wards sooner or later and there are usually good reasons why an area or street has 'special lighting'. The only way it may be changed if we get even the suburban Councillors to see that this will, sooner or later, affect THEIR special lights!
I hope your advocacy works for the neighbourhood and for our city's public realm. Our public realm isn't very good and is very poorly managed by Transportation Services and Toronto Hydro, so hopefully they can introduce a motion that would fix this.

Toronto Transportation "Services" actually just infuriates me so much, honestly what good are they for? It takes them eons to implement the smart signaling program which actually helps the cars which they love to worship so much, they refuse to allow for signal priority to be activated to improve transit, and now this non-sense.

So what do they do all day, just sit on their hands and watch traffic gridlock without doing a damn thing about anything? What a joke of a division. They need to pay up, this is ridiculous.

Toronto Transportation "Services" actually just infuriates me so much, honestly what good are they for? It takes them eons to implement the smart signaling program which actually helps the cars which they love to worship so much, they refuse to allow for signal priority to be activated to improve transit, and now this non-sense.

So what do they do all day, just sit on their hands and watch traffic gridlock without doing a damn thing about anything? What a joke of a division. They need to pay up, this is ridiculous.
Like all City Divisions, Transportation needs to live within its budget and Council has a record of passing motions to do x or y (which makes the Councillors look good) but then failing to add $$ to the budget to cover this new/extra activity. There is lots of blame that can be shared by many!

Like all City Divisions, Transportation needs to live within its budget and Council has a record of passing motions to do x or y (which makes the Councillors look good) but then failing to add $$ to the budget to cover this new/extra activity.
I think with TO Transportation it’s less of a budgeting issue and more of a mindset issue. Have they done anything to improve transit or cycling? Anything beyond prioritize cars?

Have they given up on replacing blubs for older lights? I've reported probably about 30 dead ones since august and none of them have been changed.

Have they given up on replacing blubs for older lights? I've reported probably about 30 dead ones since august and none of them have been changed.
I noticed that 2-3 years ago, just before they replaced the entire neighbourhood, with the new slightly brighter, slightly whiter ones, that never seem to blow any more.

Perhaps a change coming?

Back