News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I've made comments in another thread that I think this protected intersection doesn't fit here owing to the fact of Adelaide's opposite side configuration. Normally with a protected intersection traffic going around the island would all be going in the same direction but in this case there is a conflict between southbound and eastbound traffic. Also, from the pavement markings cyclists are supposed to wait next to the island rather than behind the crosswalk as they've got yield as seen below:
View attachment 583352

Also someone is gonna ram that little thing or trip over it when it's covered in snow and they don't realise it's there, despite the signs mounted on it, assuming that that they aren't eventually knocked off and never replaced by the City.

Last edited:
July 25
Finally made it back to the area and had a look at Adelaide from Charlotte and York to Queen.

A fair number support lines between poles have been replaced with some having the first part for the hanger, but a lot more needs to be done before they can string the OS for the street.

The new southbound lane on York needs to be pave to the point the full lane needs to be repave to either a slopping look from the new track or raise as there is a dip mid point and existing road in rough shape in place.. Road marking for left turn at Adelaide painted on the track area and no indication what is to take place for the curb lane there.

The curve rail to Queen laying on part of the new track base, but missing the base where the switch to go and did not see the switch on a trailer waiting to be place.

Photos to follow at some date as I shot more than I thought.

From July 26 - early afternoon (approximately 1:15 PM). Not a worker in sight, nor any work vans / trucks. Possibly they are working after hours / overnight / weekend - or some other problem? Meanwhile, the position / elevation profile of the drain in the third photo below looks like it might be problematic.

20240726_130906.jpg

20240726_130940.jpg

20240726_130828.jpg

20240726_130652.jpg

20240726_130727.jpg

Meanwhile, the position / elevation profile of the drain in the third photo below looks like it might be problematic.

View attachment 583805
Looking at Google Streetview, that sewer cover is in the middle of the road.

Your photo is creating an optical illusion. Its "elevation profile" does not conflict with anything.

1722081616449.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AHK
From July 26 - early afternoon (approximately 1:15 PM). Not a worker in sight, nor any work vans / trucks. Possibly they are working after hours / overnight / weekend - or some other problem? Meanwhile, the position / elevation profile of the drain in the third photo below looks like it might be problematic.

View attachment 583804

View attachment 583807

View attachment 583805

View attachment 583803

View attachment 583806
As pointed out, I don't think that it's elevation is a problem.

But the fact that they've put the switch back on the truck, have not tied the rails up to each other and clipped them to the ties tells me that there is something wrong there, and so I wonder if the drain's location interferes with the machinery attached to the switch.

Dan

But the fact that they've put the switch back on the truck, have not tied the rails up to each other and clipped them to the ties tells me that there is something wrong there, and so I wonder if the drain's location interferes with the machinery attached to the switch.

Dan
MLX is involved so one can expect 'unforeseen problems' and delays!

Sounds odd.

Looks like that didn't catch basin didn't appear until they repaved the street between the May 2013 and May 2014 Google Streetview photos. I suppose it's possible they could have just gone back to the original design for the switch, instead of going to measure it. Seems a bit far from the intersection though. They added a similar catch basin on the east side of the intersection at the same time.

In Zurich a project like this would have been completed over a weekend 😒
Even the boys in Australia would say the same thing.

Big different between TTC and other places, TTC builds a concrete base, buts steel ties on top of it, then anchor the rail to it and then pour the first coat of concrete to anchor the ties in place. Then does a 3 process of placing a top coat the second concrete pour.

Philadelphia, Zurich and Australia, let along other places, remove the tracks and ties that sit on top of dirt and then grade the area. Ties and rails are place and level. Once level, one of 2 option is done. One is do a full concrete pour including the top coat. The second option is to pour the concrete to anchor the ties in place and then asphalt the top coat.

To remove the existing tracks, some places saw cut small area where the work is to start and stop and then start excavation from both ends in large chunks that gets broken up by a second crew who cuts the rail in x sections while the concrete is broken into rubble. Very little jackhammering takes place compare to what TTC does.

^Whether it's one pour or three.... in other jurisdictions, the welders would be doing their final touches with the concrete truck idling on site, ready to pour as soon as the iron work is finished. In ML space, the welders leave and the concrete is poured several days later.
I mean, what's the rush? /s

- Paul

^Whether it's one pour or three.... in other jurisdictions, the welders would be doing their final touches with the concrete truck idling on site, ready to pour as soon as the iron work is finished. In ML space, the welders leave and the concrete is poured several days later.
I mean, what's the rush? /s

- Paul
To be fair, there IS no rush to finish the rails because it will take TTC weeks (or months) to finish the overhead. Of course, the problem really is that neither TTC nor Metrolinx cares and the whole project should have been completed BEFORE Queen was closed at Yonge. The TTC plans to open the diversion in late 2024 _- THAT is the real problem.

Back