News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What routing do you believe should be chosen for the Bloor line west of Kipling?

• Total voters
What do you mean by "current and future circumstances"? When the original subway lines were built in Toronto, they did not have the densities seen today in Toronto or Mississauga. We just keep pushing the acceptable 'benchmark' of acceptable population for subways higher and higher. If you took Toronto out of the picture, Mississauga has the highest population density in the province. The reason that Mississauga isn't able to grow into a truly urban built form is precisely because of the comparison to Toronto. We built a subway extension into Vaughan, a much less dense area.

What do you mean by "current and future circumstances"? When the original subway lines were built in Toronto, they did not have the densities seen today in Toronto or Mississauga. We just keep pushing the acceptable 'benchmark' of acceptable population for subways higher and higher. If you took Toronto out of the picture, Mississauga has the highest population density in the province. The reason that Mississauga isn't able to grow into a truly urban built form is precisely because of the comparison to Toronto. We built a subway extension into Vaughan, a much less dense area.
The different between Mississauga and Vaughan is the fact that an land owner for the Vaughan route was in the government, University of York wanted buses off their property, but most of all, the Province saw those empty lands as nice parking lots to take cars off the 400 and not have them go into Toronto. Mississauga doesn't have those issues.

At the same time, the subways went where the density was and Mississauga has none other than the city core and less than Toronto. What every route you take to get to the core, you have less riders per stations than the worse ones in Toronto today.

The Sheppard subway which cost $17 per rider on top what a rider pays today would be a drop in the bucket what it would cost if a line went to the core.

Subways don't always bring development like some think, but its the quality of service of local service that start the ball rolling and Mississauga is poor at that. There has been more proposal for development along Dundas to the point they gone no where. A good example is at Dundas and Confederation where there has been 6 condos proposed over the last 10 year with sales office and die. The last proposal call for an 18 story building on Dundas with 200 3 story townhouse behind it to the point its all townhouses now and this is one block from the Hurontario LRT. There supposed to be 3 towers across the street from this site that were approved years ago and no action at all. Another few just to the east of the LRT and still dead at this time.

The city wants density only in a few locations and not going to help building a subway. Best thing for Mississauga is LRT and BRT until 2075 or later. Running a tram-train to the core is the best option at this time off the Milton line.

Again, how can you justify a subway when only 30,000 riders go to Islington today for all of miWay routes????

Last edited:
Reactions: jys
If reaching Sherway is the goal, I dunno maybe continue west from Kipling using CP's ROW (well, tunneled below it). A spur could be sent south to Sherway with the rest veering across Etob Ck, then northward tunneled below the hydro ROW to Burnamthorpe.

Via CP + hydro ROW w/ Sherway spur
View attachment 128220

I wouldn't run the subway along Burnhamthorpe, as it isn't the primary east-west main drag through Mississauga that its often assumed to be, as there's mostly backlotted homes along it.. Dundas is more important and is easier to intensify.

I wouldn't run the subway along Burnhamthorpe, as it isn't the primary east-west main drag through Mississauga that its often assumed to be, as there's mostly backlotted homes along it.. Dundas is more important and is easier to intensify.
I guess you miss the memo back in the 80's, as that is where Mississauga SRT was to run to Sq One from Kipling. It was to run up the hydro corridor to Burnhamthorpe and then down the centre of the 403 and forgot where it was to stop to the west. Thought it was dumb then.

Until I see it in black and white, no subway will be using CP corridor west of Kipling with GO using that corridor instead.

I support the subway to Cloverdale and thats where it ends.

I don't know how people can vision an extension that will only carry less then 15,000 a day by 2040 at best pass Cloverdale. I guess a train every 15 minutes may meet the need, but more like 20 minutes.

If and when Mississauga builds density on Dundas for the blight there, that the place to put it with at least 3 stops or every 1 km. 30 years plus at this time.

I guess you miss the memo back in the 80's, as that is where Mississauga SRT was to run to Sq One from Kipling. It was to run up the hydro corridor to Burnhamthorpe and then down the centre of the 403 and forgot where it was to stop to the west. Thought it was dumb then.

Until I see it in black and white, no subway will be using CP corridor west of Kipling with GO using that corridor instead.

I support the subway to Cloverdale and thats where it ends.

I don't know how people can vision an extension that will only carry less then 15,000 a day by 2040 at best pass Cloverdale. I guess a train every 15 minutes may meet the need, but more like 20 minutes.

If and when Mississauga builds density on Dundas for the blight there, that the place to put it with at least 3 stops or every 1 km. 30 years plus at this time.

A subway extension to Cooksville via Sherway and the Dundas corridor would probably attract a lot of ridership and directly links the Hurontario corridor's transit line to Toronto. It would also make for a good jump-off point for Dundas BRT heading west into Hamilton.

A subway extension to Cooksville via Sherway and the Dundas corridor would probably attract a lot of ridership and directly links the Hurontario corridor's transit line to Toronto. It would also make for a good jump-off point for Dundas BRT heading west into Hamilton.
It will not to justify building the line in the first place.

One has to look at not only the current ridership, but projection numbers at least 30 years down the the road as well what is plan for the route.

Bulk of the current ridership on Dundas is between Toronto and Hurontario with riders using Dixie & Tomken to get to/from work as well Hurontario to/from Brampton. Riders going to Toronto in the end is less than 30% then staying in Mississauga.

There are no plans for adding density or development to Dundas at this time, with most going to Hurontario and the city core, as well over at Erin Mills & Eglinton. Only big box is getting built at Dixie with a Chinese style mall of 100 stores or more, east of Dixie that being trying to get off the ground over 5 years thats has been vacant for years.

As for going west, the real drop off point is Mavis Rd for the local with a low number going to 403. One reason the express bus was kill going to Oakville. Neither Oakville or Burlington have the ridership for good quality service let alone going to an express bus before moving up to an light BRT and then BRT, considering it been in their master plan for over 15 years with a true BRT to be built come 2020 on those plans. Not going to happen come 2020.

When people really look at everything and do some vision, subway in Mississauga will never happen for anyone a live today, sorry to say.

As much As I want to see LRT from Kipling to Hurontario now, ridership is not there to support it. If this was the US, the LRT would be built, since they build these thing under 5 or 10,000 riders a day. They wouldn't build a subway.

Last edited:
Reactions: jys

Totes. That, and it's a bit too close to Transitway. Bloor would probably be better overall (tho not sure how to get to MCC from there). But my reasoning used was that within the context of express-ish subways, it could be the optimal corridor to use. As well Burny has a pretty massive ROW and could actually use the backlotted properties to its advantage. Maybe not extreme like elevated, but perhaps variations of cut/cover (i.e some open cut others covered with concrete and landscaping). This is mostly fun discussion stuff. Some kind of multi-pronged light metro or LRT would probably be a better bet from Kipling. One branch to Pearson, one to Sherway, one to MCC.

Back