News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A

Admiral Beez

Just a suggestion, and I'm probably the only one here that thinks this, but sometimes I see a topic of interest here, click on it, and instead of an idea by the poster, we get a (usually) huge newspaper clipping, with sometimes little or any comment by the poster.

Is there any support for adding a page specially for newspaper clippings? Short pasages from media could still be in the general forums, but the two or three page articles could be posted in the clippings page. Thus, when you see a topic re. hot dog vendors (or whatever) you can expect the poster to have something to say on the topic, instead of hitting a thousand word article that sucks your lunch hour.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

I'm no mod, but my thoughts nonetheless...

While I understand some people's frustrations, I don't think having a dedicated page for newspaper clippings would really be in the best interest of the forum as it would be a hodge-podge of various different articles on various different topics. At least now, they are organized into the same categories that we post original thoughts. Sifting through a "newspaper articles" page and trying to find something that personally interests you might be a little onerous.

Perhaps this problem could be taken care of if people posting newspaper articles simply put the name of the newspaper in the subject thread, followed by the name of the story.

For instance...

Toronto Star: "Anticipation mounts for AGO"
Globe & Mail: "Ottawa sees lower revenue, surpluses"

That way, if you aren't interested in reading a "thousand word article that sucks your lunch hour" you can just skip over it.

I like Admiral Beez's idea. I was thinking of making a similar suggestion myself.

One of the problems with so many newspaper articles being posted, is that the "turnover" of threads is fairly rapid and interesting threads are maybe getting "bumped off" before they ought to be.

It's the posting of articles without any insight or contribution by the poster that bugs me the most.

Me too. They're there because they're there because....

Here we go again...

Floodland just posted a thread titled "How to kill business: raise taxes.". You'd expect to open the post and read Floodland's ideas on, well, how rising taxes can kill business. However, all you get is a thousand word article, with absolutely zero commentary from Floodland. Why post the article, do you agree with it, do you think it's crap, how are we supposed to know if you don't even give a hint of a comment?

I don't mind stating in the subject line that the post is a newspaper article but there is no reason for any other changes. Why must the poster give his/her opinion on the article before posting it? Posting an article is often a good way of initiating discussion on a particular topic. What about posting a relevent article to an established thread? Should that be banned too? How is having a special page for newspaper posts going to work when the articles that are discussed vary from architecture to projects to government issues, etc.? Take a look at other forums - newspaper articles are often an integral component.

"Why must the poster give his/her opinion on the article before posting it?"

Because these are Discussion Boards, not newspaper archives.

Yeah, so someone posts an article and a discussion begins... that's how it works.

Maybe you're right, since, based upon the number of unsupported articles posted here I seem to be in the minority.

I for one would still like to see more articles used to support the posters view, not just as a hopeful catalyst to discussion. Anyway, it's not that important, just a thought.

My take is - if there is a section for newspaper posting, it'd ended up fragmenting threads - afterall, a lot of the Toronto issues and architecture/project news is covered there. You'd end up with a case where there will be posting in both sections of the same thing, and needless to say, it will both get off topic. And let's face it, posting a newspaper article in one section, then referring to it in another section is way too much of a hassle.

GB

The best way to use articles IMO, is to read them yourself, build an opinion, post that opinion here and include a PART of the article, with a link to the entire piece for those with time.

I rather like the idea of posting entire articles, and if need by highlighting certain sections. I don't like taking things out of context when their full and proper context can be so easily displayed.

I like when discussions are started by an article, I just dont like when a persons response is a full page article followed by someone elses full page article.

But by posting the entire article without any comment, is IMO putting the post out of context. As in, why was it posted, in what context did the poster intend it to be, do they agreem disagree, or just post it to troll for replies?

By posting an article, or part thereof, along with your own commentary, you're giving the post (not the article) the context it otherwise lacks.

Back