5.1K     0 

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Suitors woo Smitherman as mayoral candidate

Health Minister pledges loyalty to province
JAMES RUSK

April 4, 2008

TORONTO -- A loose backroom political coalition that supported former mayor Mel Lastman is ready to back provincial Health Minister George Smitherman as its candidate for mayor of Toronto in the next municipal campaign.

One member of the group confirmed discussions about a possible Smitherman candidacy but, like others in the coalition, asked not to be named because talks with - and about - prospective candidates are still preliminary.

Mr. Smitherman, who is also Ontario's deputy premier, said in a statement that he is aware of the interest in him as a possible candidate, but he is focused on his cabinet job.

"I am a son of Toronto, so it's flattering to be asked," Mr. Smitherman said in an e-mail message relayed through his communication staff.

"But nobody should doubt that my current job in support of my premier, Dalton McGuinty, and all Ontarians is an enormous privilege and occupying all my energies."

Potential backers believe that even if the minister were eventually to become a candidate, he should for now stay at the Health Ministry and do the best job he can.

The members of the group said that despite Mr. Smitherman's high profile at Queen's Park, he may find running for mayor attractive as he likely has gone as high in provincial politics as he ever will, and that if he is ever to reach a top job, it would be easiest at the city, where he was chief of staff to former mayor Barbara Hall.

They also said they believe that neither a current councillor nor a high-profile political neophyte would be as effective a candidate as Mr. Smitherman, who would bring a high, city-wide profile and a proven set of political skills to the race.

The coalition is made up of a floating group of political fundraisers from the business community, veteran campaign managers and local political activists that coalesces around a chosen mayoralty candidate when it decides to get into a municipal election.

While the backroom group is more than a year away from laying hands on a preferred candidate for the Nov. 8, 2010, election, the process of selecting a mayoral horse to back is already under way. Hopeful candidates have already begun canvassing key backers for support.

The coalition, an alliance with both Liberal and Conservative party roots, has played a key role in recent city elections, backing Mr. Lastman's two winning campaigns in 1997 and 2000, as well as John Tory's narrow loss to Mayor David Miller in 2003.

In the 2006 race, it stayed on the sidelines as Mr. Miller beat councillor Jane Pitfield.

The consensus in the group is that it has to get back in the next race, either against Mr. Miller, if he chooses to run a third time, or against whomever the political left backs as his successor.

By late next summer, the coalition hopes to settle on a candidate and offer them both campaign funding and an organization that will allow them to run hard early in 2010.

It also hopes to avoid making the mistake that the centre-right made in 2003, when the presence of former MP John Nunziata split its vote, and it will use its muscle to make certain that candidates it does not perceive as viable don't get into the race.

The members of the group said that despite Mr. Smitherman's high profile at Queen's Park, he may find running for mayor attractive as he likely has gone as high in provincial politics as he ever will, and that if he is ever to reach a top job, it would be easiest at the city, where he was chief of staff to former mayor Barbara Hall.
I don't really buy this. I think he's within reach of being a future leader of the Liberal party and potentially even Premier.

Still, despite this coming from Lastman's backers, I'd welcome Smitherman in any municipal race. He'd be quite the Toronto pit bull and is a decent mix of social progressivism and a financial realist.

I'm one of the people who can't stand Smitherman and his antagonistic style and his dismissive attitude towards critics. His performance on some recent issues, like the Brampton Civic Hospital fiasco, has been extremely harsh and condensending.

Though if he was mayor, he'd probably use this more often than not for the good of the city, at least I'd hope.

Smitherman being the latest great 'right' hope from the Lastman-Tory boys is a surprise, however.

I find this rather surprising...wasn't Smitherman a Barbara Hall backer? Doesn't Pam McConnell have some sort of alliance with Smitherman as well?

I don't know if the "anti-Miller" (assuming Miller runs again) would unite behind Smitherman. I don't know how he'll fly in the burbs and I don't think a lot of the Right (especially the Fantino-loving "law and order" types) will be willing to hold their noses to vote for Smitherman.

He's done a good job

GS by all accounts has done a good job in his portfolio. insiders say he's a hard worker and has set an example - perhaps one he could take with him to City Hall. that place needs some strong management.

At most, he'd be picking up where a hypothetical Barbara Hall mayoralty would've left off...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080623.wsmitherman23/BNStory/National/

New ministry could prime Smitherman for mayor
Insiders say his new job as Minister of Energy and Infrastructure would give him the experience and publicity to run against Miller

JAMES RUSK

From Monday's Globe and Mail

June 23, 2008 at 4:29 AM EDT

With the appointment of George Smitherman to the helm of a new ministry of Energy and Infrastructure, Premier Dalton McGuinty put his vice-premier on a track that could lead directly to the mayor's seat at city hall in the next municipal election.

"This is the perfect position for George. It is exactly what George wanted," said one city hall lobbyist who expects to be part of the campaign team if, as many expect, Mr. Smitherman challenges Mayor David Miller in 2010.

What Mr. Smitherman wants has been a matter of speculation in the city for the past three months, since it became clear that a small group of political allies were testing the mayoral waters on his behalf.

Publicly, he is staying at Queen's Park; privately, his long-term political future is still up in the air.

"What this appointment allows him to do is to keep all his options open," said one of those involved with the insider group.

Mr. Smitherman has been given a portfolio that deals with issues such as transportation, transit, and municipal infrastructure, which allows him to dabble in municipal affairs, to keep his name constantly in the media on municipal issues, and if he performs well, could serve as a launching pad for a mayoral race.

At the same time, it puts a proven performer in charge of one file, urban transit, where the Premier has become impatient with the lack of progress, and another, the selection of the builder of the next nuclear power plant, where a vigorous public sales job will be needed to defend an expensive and possibly controversial project.

Indeed, the new job is so crucial to the success of the McGuinty government that one dissenting analysis is that, rather than positioning Mr. Smitherman for a mayoral run, the job is an enticement to stay at Queen's Park.

What the appointment does is create an entirely new political dynamic between city hall and Queen's Park.

When Mr. Miller or councillor and Toronto Transit Commission chairman Adam Giambrone - the left's most likely candidate for mayor when Mr. Miller retires from municipal politics - come calling for cash, the man with the purse strings will be not only a provincial politician, but a potential rival in the next election.

When he responds to their demands, Mr. Smitherman will have to strike a balance between wanting to earn the credit as the man who kick-started stalled projects, even if they are the mayor's or the TTC chair's projects, and being the man who kicked butt at city hall.

The most likely battleground is transit.

There is a difference in vision between Metrolinx, the regional transit agency that the province set up to plan the development of transit in the Toronto area, and the TTC.

Metrolinx, with the support of the Premier and the province, sees the expansion of the subway system as the way to move more people while minimizing surface traffic congestion. The TTC has shifted its focus to dedicated streetcar lines, even if that form of transit stalls car and truck movement.

To those in Mr. Smitherman's emerging mayoral coalition, the TTC's approach gives him an opportunity to stake out a position by challenging the TTC plan and, at the extreme, backing the creation of a regional transit agency that would take over the TTC.

No matter how the issues play out over the next 18 months, the period that Mr. Smitherman has to make his mark if he is to run for mayor, his presence and personality will be an important factor on the municipal scene.

"It's going to change the dynamic. It is definitely going to change the dynamic," said one experienced city hall lobbyist who has worked with Mr. Smitherman on past election campaigns.

Another added that "what is clearly needed is somebody who can get things moving, and if George has shown anything, he has shown that he can kick ass. ... If he succeeds, he can walk into the mayor's chair without a contest."

Back