News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It's only been a year. Relax. They aren't going anywhere. They have a good team that can turn things around, and a great real estate portfolio that positions them well in the Canadian market.

A note sent to their employees today pretty much restated what I originally said.

Many a good team have tried to turn around a Canadian retailer and failed. What's so special about notes to employees? A business will always tell it's employees and suppliers thay everything is perfect when they know they will for creditor prltection later that day.

I don't care what happens to Target, just pointing out the reasons presented for everything remaining status quo are flimsy at best.

I was at the East York Town Centre location yesterday. I was going to try on some pants. The change rooms are not on the same floor. Men and children's clothing is on the second floor but all the change rooms are on the first floor. I said forget it.

Zellers sucked. why on earth would you want them back

Because I always found what I needed there?

For example, in my home office, I have the nicest plastic bins on the open shelves in the closet. The colours of highlighter pens. Really attractive and the perfect size, stackable, sturdy. I found them at Zeller's after searching Canadian Tire, Home Depot etc. for something with style.

The Zeller's at East York Mall, two floors, had EVERYTHING I needed for the house: closet stuff, cleaning supplies, doormats, decent linens, plus cute clothes for kids that didn't fall apart in the wash.

Does this mean I didn't go to Crate & Barrel or Linen Chest or Pier One or Home Sense for stuff? Of course not. But I have now been to the Target that supplanted my Zeller's four times for the same thing -- and the display wall still is empty. And, as I have now learned, it is the best-managed Target in town. Sad.

Because I always found what I needed there?

For example, in my home office, I have the nicest plastic bins on the open shelves in the closet. The colours of highlighter pens. Really attractive and the perfect size, stackable, sturdy. I found them at Zeller's after searching Canadian Tire, Home Depot etc. for something with style.

The Zeller's at East York Mall, two floors, had EVERYTHING I needed for the house: closet stuff, cleaning supplies, doormats, decent linens, plus cute clothes for kids that didn't fall apart in the wash.

Does this mean I didn't go to Crate & Barrel or Linen Chest or Pier One or Home Sense for stuff? Of course not. But I have now been to the Target that supplanted my Zeller's four times for the same thing -- and the display wall still is empty. And, as I have now learned, it is the best-managed Target in town. Sad.

How many years ago was that? in the last 3 years of Zellers, all of the stores had empty shelves and were filthy. At least the Zellers near me

How many years ago was that? in the last 3 years of Zellers, all of the stores had empty shelves and were filthy. At least the Zellers near me

I used to go to the Zellers at East York Mall and Gerrard Square and occasionally, depending on where my day would take me, at Danforth and Vic Park. I had no complaints.

Too bad the one in your neighbourhood was unsatisfactory. I am sure the Target there is MUCH better.

I don't know what Zellers you lived near, but I never had a problem with Zellers, and I never encountered any of the issues you described. If anything, their shelves were overstuffed with merchandise, all haphazardly placed. Their stores were often disorganized, and not trendy, but you could get what you wanted at a decent price. The merchandise never had any design flair, like Target is known for, but it was fine. It's hard to compete simply being "fine" these days, which is why Zellers is no longer around (except for the handful of HBC discount outlets using the banner) but it was hardly a hellhole. Sorry that you seemed to live near some skid-row Zellers, but everyone is entitled to their preferences.

Last edited:

The Zellers in Gerrard Square was always clean and decent. It had well stocked shelves and great sales, especially on men's clothing. I got some great deals on name brand men's wear which I've never seen at Walmart. Surprisingly, the Zellers was actually more crowded then the Walmart is now. It's empty every time I go there but I never find anything to buy, so the lack of huge lineups never benefits me. I still haven't been to a Canadian Target but from what I've heard (and seen in the USA) it has little appeal to me. One day I will trek to the Danforth and see what I'm missing. I'm pretty sure that if Walmart has zero interest to me, Target will too.

Target Canada has posted a video to You Tube, acknowledging the problems it had last year keeping shelves stocked and promising a better experience for shoppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIBqv2BDU4E

http://www.thestar.com/business/201..._apologizes_to_customers_promises_change.html

Toronto Life had a blog post on these Target ads, and one of the commentators over there quite perceptively asked "why do they have the employees apologizing?" Most of the people in the ad are not really the ones who should be apologizing.

Last edited:
Popped into the Target store at Centerpoint Mall (Yonge & Steeles) the other day. It was only the 2nd time I've walked into a Target but unless there's something that I really need and they're the only place that has it, I highly doubt I'll be returning.

The 1st time I went to a Target I noticed the shelves were quite bare and the store appeared to have a lot of "empty" space. I didn't think much of it and chalked it up to them simply opening not too long ago and were slowly ramping up their inventory.

Fast-forward to my 2nd and more recent visit, and the condition of the store doesn't really look all that improved. It was unfortunate. Not only did we not find what we were looking for, we didn't want to stick around and browse either, so we left empty handed.

Interesting article (link was on Retail Insider):

Target Canada: It's Worse Than We Thought
Jul. 9, 2014 12:15 AM ET

Summary

* Target's losses north of the border are greater than we thought.
* Target has no plans to start online sales in Canada anytime soon.
* Target is pursuing an outdated business strategy that could doom it to irrelevance.

Target Corp's (TGT) Canadian adventure is an even bigger and more costly debacle than previously thought. The retailer's first venture outside the U.S. has been so badly botched that Target actually created a YouTube.com video apologizing to Canadian customers.

Yet even the apology video is a failure; news reports indicate that it has become a laughingstock in the Canadian media. The video shows clips of a well-stocked Target store and associates apologizing to customers. The reaction from Canadian consumers wasn't what Target wanted.

One typical comment related by Canadian broadcaster CTV seemed to sum it up: "So far Target is the biggest retail failure Canada has ever seen."
The Biggest Retail Failure Canada Has Ever Seen

Target investors can certainly agree with that statement. The retailer reported a return on equity ratio of 11.61% in April 2014, down from 17.24% in April 2013. One year of operation in Canada slashed Target's ROE by nearly 6%.

In contrast, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) reported an ROE of 21.71% in April 2014, down from 23.69% in April 2013. That's a 2% decline despite Wal-Mart's well publicized problems.

The reason for Target's ROE decline can be traced back to Canada; The Toronto Star reported that Target Canada lost $941 million in 2013, its first year of operation. During that period, Target Canada reported $1.3 billion in sales.

The Wall Street Journal pegged Target's Canada loss figure even higher at $1.6 billion. If The Journal is correct, Target's Canada losses exceeded its sales.

If that wasn't bad enough, Target had a tiny 4.4% profit margin in Canada, The Star noted, because it had to result to deep discounting just to attract customers during the Christmas season. Part of Canadian customers' complaints about Target is that its prices north of the border are not that much better than Wal-Mart.
Target's Old-Fashioned Business Strategy

The worst aspect of Target's Canadian adventure is the outdated thinking behind it. Target's interim CEO, John Mulligan, told The Canadian Press that his company has no plans to start an online retail operation in Canada this year; instead, it plans to open more brick and mortar stores like the ones already losing money.

Target's Canadian website consists of a weekly flyer, a few coupons, and some pictures of merchandise in the stores. That's right; Target's only online activity in Canada seems to be the apology video. It seems to be repeating the same costly mistake over and over again.

This at a time when Wal-Mart's online sales increased by 30% in 2013 to $10 billion. Target was ranked the number 18 online retailer by InternetRetailer.com. Wal-Mart was number four and rising fast.

Wal-Mart's strategy of investing in next generation retail initiatives, such as expanded e-commerce and same day delivery, seems to be paying off. Target's strategy of aggressively expanding its physical stores and pretending that the Internet doesn't exist is falling flat.

One has to wonder what century Target executives are living in. The Canadian expansion was staged like it was still 1995 and Amazon.com (AMZN) was still operating out of Jeff Bezos' garage.

The failure in Canada seems to be the result of a highly dysfunctional corporate culture described in a recent Wall Street Journal article. In the piece, reporters Paul Ziobro and Serena NG show how Target has adopted a bureaucratic mindset that has effectively stifled creativity and innovation.

The Canadian debacle proves that the challenges facing brick and mortar retailers like Target are even greater than we thought. One has to wonder how Target can remain a major player if its leadership team cannot even grasp anything as basic as the importance of online sales.

I don't think this story will have a happy ending. Coincidentally, I ordered something from Wal-Mart Canada's website the other day. Free shipping and delivery in 2 days. The e-commerce site was totally intuitive and easy to use. I rarely step into a bricks and mortar Wal-Mart store locally but they just made a sizeable sale off me online.

Back