News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Why can't we have one app for all services? Kind of like the BB Hub that combines all email/txt/etc info in one location. A combined taxi/uber/etc app.

I rarely use taxis so I'm a bit out of the loop if this tech exists already.

Now, I've got an idea for a biz that would kill uber. :D

Why can't we have one app for all services? Kind of like the BB Hub that combines all email/txt/etc info in one location. A combined taxi/uber/etc app.

Uber already does that. You can hail a cab from the Uber app.

Uber has added 2 more routes now for uberhop.

CYZs5d1WsAEBb0n.png

Uber has added 2 more routes now for uberhop.

CYZs5d1WsAEBb0n.png
I'm having some rather mixed feelings about this new service. I kind of understand making an effort to serve transit desserts like Liberty Village. Not happy though to see them serving West Queen West...the last thing anyone needs is for even more car congestion on Queen Street at peak times, which will delay already-delayed transit even more. As much as I want this to motivate the TTC to improve service, I worry that it will instead degrade existing service.

TTC should offer a frequent bus service from Mt. Pleasant North to Financial District/Union Station, via Jarvis.

It would be time competitive with the subway.

I'm having some rather mixed feelings about this new service. I kind of understand making an effort to serve transit desserts like Liberty Village. Not happy though to see them serving West Queen West...the last thing anyone needs is for even more car congestion on Queen Street at peak times, which will delay already-delayed transit even more. As much as I want this to motivate the TTC to improve service, I worry that it will instead degrade existing service.

As opposed to forcing people onto an already over-crowded Streetcar that couldn't even take this passengers if they wanted to? One thing is to split ridership, another is to provide service where the system has failed or is failing.

Maybe if these routes are successful TTC will take note and take them back from Uber in the future.

TTC should offer a frequent bus service from Mt. Pleasant North to Financial District/Union Station, via Jarvis.

It would be time competitive with the subway.
The 141 is sort of in the way of that. It's as fast as you want but not as often as you want, I think?

The 141 is sort of in the way of that. It's as fast as you want but not as often as you want, I think?
By far not. According to the Service Summary, there are only four Southbound trips per weekday, and only runs between 7:10AM and 8:35AM. And it is an express bus with limited stops (perhaps not a bad thing).

The express bus is 21 minutes from Eglinton to Queen+Jarvis according to Google Maps, while the typical commute by bus to Eglinton Station, subway to Queen and walking to Jarvis is 33 minutes. (I think both numbers are rather optimistic, given personal experience, but the difference is +/- 10 minutes nonetheless)

A frequent bus route here could provide an interim relief to the Yonge Subway.

Uber vs Taxis, courtesy of The Onion.

CZCD1iWUQAQBsQw.png_large.png

Attachments

• CZCD1iWUQAQBsQw.png_large.png
    CZCD1iWUQAQBsQw.png_large.png
    245.5 KB · Views: 829

The Uber app is a combined app, too as it can hail taxis too (but only for taxi / taxi companies that authorize Uber to do so). I feel, this should be legally legislated -- force taxi companies into Open Data and let third party apps hail them too -- complete with driver reviews, prepayment, and pre-routing -- so one can make a taxi ride without needing to say a word to the driver.

Also, a different app, called "Transit App", is a combined TTC/GO/Uber/Bikeshare app. It automatically tells you all rides nearest you (nearest stops, nearest Ubers, nearest bikeshare stations) that will get to your destination.

Back