News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

... but it's still frightfully "green".

It's like heritage exploitation--or more properly, exploitation of the idea of heritage, maybe a pretty-face way of treating this more as a tax-saving/affordable-housing-saving "renovation" than a "demolition"...

... and the more barrels - like this one - that we scrape the bottom of, in order to to find something of "worth", the more we lower standards of where worth lies, including aesthetically.

Oct. 18th Update

A banner indicates that this building is now 92 Carlton (3rd photo below).

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Photos from Mutual Street and Carlton Street (the rear of the building as seen from Mutual Street is way behind the rest of the building).

I drove by this site the other day and decided I like it! It's clean and modern in a sort of 169 St George way. Perhaps the facade should've been knocked down and the new building pulled to the property line for better effect. It's nice to see a simple brick building without fussy balconies for a change in this area.

I find it *too* simple to the point of banality--and maybe *that's* why the facades would have been better off knocked down; that would have given the architects more incentive to be less diffident in the name of "deferentiality"...

Nov. 8th

I find it *too* simple to the point of banality--and maybe *that's* why the facades would have been better off knocked down; that would have given the architects more incentive to be less diffident in the name of "deferentiality"...

With condo development changing the village environs, it will be good to have a few reminders of the existence of tiny-dirty-stuffy walkups. The city restricted the construction of these 3-5 story walkups at some point in its history, and now is activly working as a preservationist of their memory: ha!

I think this building is good - it has the right height and massing for this part of Carlton, and does its best to complement its neighbours.

Woah for a minute I was wondering what the podium of 500 Sherbourne was doing next door, hehe:

90Carlton1_Nov8-09.jpg

Toronto Community Housing transforms dilapidated buildings

Common wisdom suggests public housing projects are usually stripped down and functional, with little emphasis on design. That’s not the case with Toronto Community Housing projects like 88-90 Carlton Street.

A run-down, termite-infested multiple-housing building on Mutual Street was turned into a mixed housing unit with cutting edge sustainable technology and livable design while preserving the structure’s historic façade

More......http://dcnonl.com/article/id36429

The hoarding is down on this project now. They're doing some sort of planter box landscaping in front of the old buildings and adding canopies to the entrances.

It's not altogether bad. I like that there's a consistent use of brick along that northerly stretch of Mutual. A little more height and some stronger massing would've been nice (to continue the Carlton canyon), but its still so much better than what was there that I don't mind

Dec. 5th Update

From Mutual Street (east side and rear of building)

From Carlton Street

Feb 8th Update

It's a shame that this didn't work out, I held out hope that it might. The front of the original apartment complexes just don't work with the upper portion, which I do like.
Pictures are listed as one approaches the building walking east on Carlton.

it's true. this building represents a unattractive compromise between heritage and development. still, it serves a higher purpose. what should be really lamented is why this building could not have housed more people.

DT, great continuing coverage on this one. I agree with you that overall this doesnt work, though for me its more the refurbished facades that I do like instead of the new apartments. To me it mainly comes down to the brick colour on the upper portion. I just never seem to like tan brick...

March 8th Update

This looks to be nearing completion

Back