8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Going back to one of my earliest memories in Toronto:

View attachment 10189
http://torontoist.com/2008/02/phototo_queen_s/

Proper fire retardant measures and code provisions obviously mitigate fire danger, though I don't doubt that in a large fire, there may be an issue - yet brick buildings seem to go up in flames as well.

You really think that the building in the picture is made of brick?? The façade is made of brick, but the interior is made of plywood...
There is a reason why wooden buildings are rated in a higher risk group by insurance companies.

Well, the TCHC does have very little money (underfunded thanks to our government's priorities being out of whack) so their buildings' budgets will be quite limited. Perhaps wood was seen as a way to construct more housing for lower cost at this location.

It was just a tongue-in-cheek remark, I wasn't being serious - it was to show the futility of argument-through-photos. It is precisely because I have no idea of what went wrong in the Edmonton photo that I posted the Queen St. one, of which the Edmonton photo just reminded me.

(though the comments were serious, in which I say that of course wood would be less safe in a serious fire)

Last edited:
It's a shame that they're getting away with this. The project looks great and I'm excited about all the development going on here but I too would be very reluctant to purchase any unit here when you have no brick between units... it's an obscene cheap-out that screws the customers. Shame.

Modern building methods, with all these corners being habitually cut, leave much to be desired.

The city allows it. My issue is with them more than the builders. The building codes need to be improved upon.

I don't know, I live in a building with drywall separations between apartments, and I gotta say I've never heard any noise from my next-door neighbours (and they have a dog, I can hear it when I'm in the hallway). Now, we do have concrete floors, I don't think I'd like to live in an apartment with only wood separating me from my upstairs neighbours and their footsteps.

I don't know, I live in a building with drywall separations between apartments, and I gotta say I've never heard any noise from my next-door neighbours (and they have a dog, I can hear it when I'm in the hallway). Now, we do have concrete floors, I don't think I'd like to live in an apartment with only wood separating me from my upstairs neighbours and their footsteps.

I've lived in several condos with concrete floors. I have heard footsteps in all of them....some are subtle...others it feels like the person's in your unit. I really don't know what goes into soundproofing condos...but it seems that developers don't put much energy into that part of the building process. Hardwood on top of concrete just seems to amplify sound.

You beat me to it. I was just going to say: we've moved WAY past brick walls between townhouse units as a fire retardant and on to much more effective materials. I can assure you the fire safety standards these days are much higher and more effective than using brick between buildings.

For whatever reason, I do prefer when urban buildings are made out of concrete, but there is also a strong case to be made for wood sometimes.

^Agreed. I have lived in newly built, wood-frame townhomes with no concrete or brick separating units as well as a typical concrete high-rise condo apt...and my experience tells me that noise travels A LOT worse through concrete. The sound-proofing used between units in wood-frame construction is superior nowadays....this won't be like an old Victorian walk-up apt where you hear everything coming from everyone who lives there. I never heard my neighbours in my townhouse, but I do all the time in my high-rise apt. So, I don't see this as being cheap or a cop-out for this project by any means.

Today:

7lFeCgZ.jpg

v4KEnoC.jpg

They have now started the brick work on the two rows of town houses south of the main building (on Lower River and St Lawrence Streets). Same dark brick.

this area is looking sharp. My only concern is that nearly all of the new buildings have black or charcoal color, which looks good for a few buildings, but not for an entire neighbourhood. Also, what is the appeal of this area to auto dealers?...seems to have more than its fair share.

TCHC must have got some deal on that colour of brick because their new building at 230 Sackville Street has the same as well

Is there an award for the most aesthetically pleasing fire hazard?

how is it a fire hazard?

I guess I was being a little non-specific, as the northern half is made of concrete. I was referring to the southern portion, being built with combustible ole' wood and reported above to be receiving the same cladding as the north building.

Back