News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I haven't gone researching figures but I think TD is now the largest Canadian bank in the U.S. Royal is involved in the southeastern States under the name Centura, and Bank of Montreal is in the Chicago area under the name Harris Bank. Royal ran into some problems with Centura, relating to mortgages, and I think they have pretty much put the brakes on further growth for now.

CIBC went heavily into the investment dealer side as opposed to retail banking. I think they have since regretted it. Scotiabank is the only one of the big banks not to make much of a commitment to the U.S. They have concentrated on Latin America.

CIBC not only regretted it they sold off their investments at a loss.

It was called "TD Bank". You can dig up some historical pictures on their corporate site:
1976b.jpg

Seeing that reminded me of the oddity in Canadian retail banking. Major banks went to the trouble of giving their ATMs brand names like Green Machine, Instabank and Instant Teller. It must have been revolutionary at the time, like the "horseless carriage".

Seeing that reminded me of the oddity in Canadian retail banking. Major banks went to the trouble of giving their ATMs brand names like Green Machine, Instabank and Instant Teller. It must have been revolutionary at the time, like the "horseless carriage".

& Johnny Cash Machines at Canada Trust

It was called "TD Bank". You can dig up some historical pictures on their corporate site:

Though if you notice in the ad, they still used "Toronto-Dominion", even though they didn't shy away from the colloquial "TD"--and I don't think they abandoned the full name definitively, altogether, until the Canada Trust merger. (You notice how nobody from corporate offices on downward has ever referred to "Toronto-Dominion Canada Trust".) And of course, the Toronto-Dominion Centre name remains.

Interestingly, it wasn't until the 90s or so that acronyms like CIBC, RBC, BMO became commonplace beyond the stock ticker (beforehand, it was more common to refer to CIBC as "the Commerce", a la Anne Murray's commercials), so TD was well ahead of the game...

I just prefer the actual names over the abbreviations.
Toronto Dominion sounds more classy than TD.

Then again I prefer to refer to myself as Khristopher, not Khris as many like to say :p

I wonder how many of their American clients know what RBC stands for (or care?).

I heard recently that TD has more branches in the US than Canada.

By fall 2009 all 1,100 locations in the U.S. will bear the green TD shield. Here in Canada, there are roughly 1,000 TD Canada Trust branches.

source: http://www.td.com/update.jsp

The City of Toronto has 153 retail branches, with another 3 opening in the spring of '09.

I'd love to see the use of company names used more often (Toronto-Dominion, Royal Bank of Canada, Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce), though I like the fact that TD kept the Canada Trust name. It was one instance where the purchaser of a smaller firm properly kept the best things about what it was swallowing - CT had good customer service, with the long hours first.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I envision Canada doing something to anger Americans at some point in the future (such as when Canada decided not to join the Iraq war), leading to reactionaries boycotting the Canadian banks.

i.e. "Do u know that RBC Bank aktually means ROYAL bank of CANADA!!!! ZOMG!!!! Were giving canadians our money to oppose Americas [insert cause de jour here]!!!"

Just wait until the Americans find out what HSBC stands for. What? We're giving our money to Red Chinese Commies!?!

And the people in the Mississippi Basin finding out that the CN on the locos mean that the the country is being taken over by Canadian nationalized companies.

So much different from truly nationalized US banks.

I don't recall RBC having a particular name for their ATMs. And a quick look at their website just shows the term ATM.

Just wait until the Americans find out what HSBC stands for. What? We're giving our money to Red Chinese Commies!?!

HSBC is headquartered in London. I would apply my same reactionary response to them if Britain does anything to annoy American pajamahadeen... heck, they'd likely see it as a Chinese-European conspiracy. Another possibility is Citizens Bank... part of the Royal Bank of Scotland group.

Back