40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Yet another positive article on our city, but yet another strange one. It doesn't describe the city we all know very apt at all. In fact, it could have been written 10 years ago (as it doesn't talk about anything recent in this city, including the cultural renaissance). Moreover, it's filled with many mistakes, but what the hell, I'll post it anyway...

Oh and get ready for your blood to boil upon reading the comments after the article...

torontosky.jpg

The underground city keeps Torontonians away from winter’s icy blast and, at around 27 kilometres of corridors, is so big it has to have its own street map

The city that retains its human scale

From the underground tunnels to the top of the CN Tower, Paul James can only see "The Good" in Toronto.
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 15/01/2008

We came to Toronto in 1979, intending to see North America for a few years before returning home to settle down.

And we’re still here; when asked why there are so many reasons we give.

Toronto, provincial capital of Ontario and Canada’s largest city, is pleasantly cosmopolitan combining some fine modern buildings, (like the famous CN Tower) with a number of interesting old ones and a vibrant night and cultural life.

The underground city keeps Torontonians away from winter’s icy blast and, at around 27 kilometres of corridors, is so big it has to have its own street map

Old and new: the Flatiron building cuts a distinctive figure amid the downtown skyscrapers of Toronto’s ’sci-fi skyline’

Like all of Canada, it’s clean, safe (in 27 years of living and working in and around Toronto, we’ve never been accosted and I only know one person who has) and has plenty of trees.

Raccoons and possums are as much your neighbours here as the folks next door, sometimes even more so: your neighbours, probably won’t rifle through your garbage bins quite so often.

Of the more interesting older buildings the oldest is Fort York, the army headquarters established in 1793 by Britain after the colonies to the south had won their independence.

It’s now been renovated to its 19th-century state and is open for visitors most days of the year, often with re-enactments of a soldier’s life in a building that could be described as “Toronto’s birthplace”.

One of the more recent and unusual additions is the Flatiron building. Built in 1892 for distiller George Gooderham, it remained the offices of the Gooderham & Worts distillery until 1952 and takes its name from its wedge shape (like an old-fashioned iron), as it was designed to fit into the narrow, triangular junction where Front and Wellington streets merge.

Another equally eccentric building is Casa Loma, a “medieval” castle built for the financier Sir Henry Pellatt. Begun in 1911 it was only just completed when the First World War broke out.

Unfortunately, in the economic downturn at the end of the war, Sir Henry went broke and was forced to abandon his castle in 1923. Today, it is one of Toronto’s premier tourist attractions.

Except for the downtown core with its skyscrapers, Toronto doesn’t feel as overwhelming as many large cities.

Sci-fi skyline

Even though 2.5 million people live here, it’s human-sized for the most part. And just offshore, in Lake Ontario, the Toronto islands provide a quiet harbour for sailboats and acres of parkland, as well as a great place for viewing the city from the water. Toronto’s sci-fi skyline seen from the islands is worth the visit alone.

Restaurants capture the diversity of the city’s immigrant population, with Chinese, Italian and Greek cuisine well represented and Thai, Japanese, Indian, Caribbean, Hungarian, and German putting in solid appearances.

For lunch, I’d recommend any of the Chinese restaurants on Baldwin Street or the Tim Hortons chain of coffee shops, still going strong after 43 years and something of a Canadian institution.

If you want more variety, and like wandering around market stalls, the Richtree restaurant in BCE Place is a good choice for any meal.

BCE Place is home to some of the world’s best-known corporations and financial institutions, located in two towers rising above a glass-covered galleria of shops and restaurants six-storeys high.

It also encloses Toronto’s oldest intact street frontage, renovated and preserved from the 1850s, as well as the Ice Hockey Hall of Fame.

You don’t have to love ice hockey to live in Canada but (like association football in Britain) it certainly helps.

Greek street

Some areas of Toronto have become synonymous with particular communities. For example, you’ll find Greek restaurants all over the city but especially along Danforth Street, where even the street signs are posted in English and Greek.

Similarly bilingual, the Chinatown area, around Spadina and Dundas Street West, has an unbelievable concentration of authentic shops and restaurants.

Little Italy is a collection of restaurants and clothes shops (of course) on and around College Street, while Little India is centred on Gerrard Street West.

Over time, all the communities have migrated out to the suburbs but their jumping off spot in Toronto remains as a spiritual home from home.

For dinner (“supper” in Ontario) Toronto has everything from the downright snooty to a more “New-World”, easy-going attitude to food.

At the upper end of the scale, the 360º Restaurant at the top of the CN Tower is a good place to start a Toronto trip - if you can stomach heights. The view is spectacular and the restaurant makes a complete circle every 72 minutes, providing an ideal spot for fixing the city’s plan in your mind during daylight or seeing the lights laid out below you after dark.

The CN Tower is the city’s most famous landmark. It stands, at 1,815 feet (553.3 metres) high, head and shoulders above the other downtown buildings. Over 30 years old, it has only recently been surpassed as the world’s tallest building.

If you want an even better view than the one from the restaurant, a further elevator takes you to the Skypod, once the world’s highest public observation deck at 1,465 feet.

Take the stairs in the CN Tower

Every April and October there’s a Tower Stair climb (1,776 steps and 142 flights) in aid of charity. The climb costs only C$50 (£25) and it’s a lot of fun - if you’re reasonably fit.

The public climbs only happen on one Saturday in each month, so check ahead if you’re visiting and want to be part of it.

As you’d expect winter plays a big part in Toronto life, from the Santa Claus Parade in November, through the ice sculptures and outdoor skating rink at New City Hall, starting before Christmas and running through to March, to the underground city, linking all the downtown buildings.

The underground city keeps Torontonians away from winter’s icy blast and, at around 27 kilometres of corridors, is so big it has to have its own street map.

Underground tunnels may not sound enticing but these are bright and airy and, with about 1,200 shops and services down there, the feel is more upscale mall than earthy burrow.

In its two centuries of existence Toronto has been called “Muddy York”, from the wetlands around the mouths of the Humber and Don Rivers on which the early town was built; “Hogtown” from its central role in meat processing back when agriculture drove Ontario’s economy; and “The Good” from its hold-out as a bastion of Victorian values, a reputation it kept right through to the 1950s.

None of these labels were intended to be flattering, and today it doesn’t really have a nickname. But those who have come to love it as we have would still describe it as “The Good” - for all the right reasons.

=================================================

Have your say

Well I for one like Toronto very much. Having moved away from London two years ago I have found Toronto a great place to live by comparison. Friendly people; less crowded, much lower cost of living; excellent downtown shopping and entertainment, particularly restaurents. You can walk between so many of the key downtown areas and there are great recreational facilities, particularly on the lake in Summer and the Beaches East of the city. Travel north for some great countryside and more lakes than you can possibly count! Yes the winter is cold, yes there are not the historical buildings you might find in Oxford, Cambridge and London. These are not secrets! Toronto is a friendly modern city with great facilities with a very reasonable cost of living compared to the UK. Yes it is a large city and yes it is very cosmopolitan with a lot of immigration and the benefits and some drawbacks that go along with this. There are more of the benefits and fewer drawbacks than I have seen in the UK though. I certainly feel a lot safer walking the streets of Toronto than the streets of London at night - that's an absolute certainty! Sure it's nice to visit St Pauls and walk around the houses of Parliament, checking your watch against Big Ben, but when you have to live in a run-down, tiny, expensive house that you can only just afford then sit on a dirty, overcrowded, overpriced, delayed train for the privilige every day the novelty soon wears off! Each to their own of course, but Toronto is a great place for people who appreciate a modern city with great facilities. Posted by George Carter on January 18, 2008 6:13 PM

I had the misfortune of growing up in Toronto in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s before finally making my desperate escape to Asia, and finally, to England. I will never, ever return. Toronto is a drab, plain and provincial city ho-humming under delusions of greatness. And that's what makes it so acutely unbearable - a population of smug and insular types who hide their pettiness and mild bigotry under a suffocating cloak of political correctness, whose only claim to an "identity" is being non-American. The bleak slush of ice and dirt that covers the city for six months a year makes it even more dispiriting.
Posted by Jennifer Lee on January 18, 2008 6:04 PM

Most of the comments posted here prove that Toronto-bashing remains one of Canada's most popular pastimes. Granted, it's not New York or London, but who but its official boosters have ever claimed it was? Okay, it has the problems of any large city and the climate's far from ideal, but it's notably warmer in winter than the rest of the country, it has some outstanding galleries and museums, its ravines are a wonderful urban oasis, and if you really can't stand it you can get to the four corners of the earth via Pearson International Airport. By the way, I can't help thinking Mr. Ustinov was offering a backhanded comment: does "New York run by the Swiss" really sound all that enticing?
Posted by Tariq on January 18, 2008 4:59 PM

As a resident of Toronto for nearly 25 years, and a Canadian who grew up in the surrounding town of Burlington, outside of Toronto, all I can say is that over the past 10-15 years in particular Toronto has significantly deteriorated. It is ridden with violent gangs, gun violence, is increasingly a dirty place in respect to both litter and graffiti and other forms of anti-social behaviour. Moreover, it suffers from some of the worst pollution (air and water) in all of North America. On top it, it is full of smug, self-righteous citizens who think they live in a utopia, and anytime anything bad happens it is blamed on the Americans. Gun crime in particular is out of control (and the police force seem incapable of stopping it).

When i went to university in the 1970s in Toronto, nothing much happened, it was a safe city. Toronto police were a different lot than they are now, where most of their time is spent dealing with pretty serious violent crime. One cannot walk through parks (even Queen's Park) at dusk onwards, innocent people are at threat of getting killed by shoot-outs between gang members (e.g. there were 2 within the past week), home invasions (robberies where people are tied up and pistol-whipped while robbed) are commonplace, as are break-ins (my friends have had nearly 12 in the past three years living in a nice area, in the Annex). In addition,the schools are generally bad and violence (particularly with the use of guns among students) is a very common way to settle disputes. It is not such a nice place to live anymore compared to what it used to be, when it truly was a safe clean place. And I agree with you Sajjad -- you are absolutely right about the city's total lack of respect for the past. It is boring and pretty sterile (but not clean), and Montreal is by far a more interesing place.
Posted by Lisa on January 18, 2008 4:03 PM

Insular and self-satisfied. That sums up Toronto.
Posted by Andrew SMilie on January 18, 2008 3:08 PM

I have to agree as a former Torontonian (for 16 years) that Mr. James doesn't present the full story. I have to say that having lived in both very nice and somewhat dodgy areas of Toronto, I was frequently accosted by homeless people asking for money, drug pushers and prostitutes around the city centre. In fact, more frequently than in Manchester or London. Of course, these types are also in existence in the UK, but it is just plain nonsense to say that they don't exist in Toronto, unless you don't get out very much. I certainly don't miss the road rage and general maniac driving attitudes - driving in England is a dream by comparison.

Toronto is a decent place if you don't have career ambitions or are already supremely qualified. For the rest of us, the salaries are so low that it just isn't worth the constant struggle to make ends meet in mediocre surroundings.
Posted by Michael Warren on January 18, 2008 2:46 PM

Moved there in 2004 with my wife-both with Masters degrees from th UK and with many years UK work experience-could I find a job? Hell no! Well except for in a furniture store earning minimum wage. T.O has the highest number of foreign professionally skilled workers that have to drive cabs to make ends meet!! Wake up T.O and start to recognise foreign qualifications. I guess ?I am a bit sour about it but the Article didn't mention the 5 months of freezing cold weather and constatn snow/brown sludge you have to deal with. I can think of a lot nicer places to live!
Posted by Mark on January 18, 2008 2:31 PM

Much as I love Tim Horton's, I cannot believe you would recommend to people that they should have lunch there. Coffee maybe..but surely there are much better options for lunch than a bog standard coffee chain.
Posted by Joanne on January 18, 2008 2:26 PM

This article does not describe the Toronto I lived in for 18 years. The city is ugly, tatty and very dirty but is excellent at dealing with unpleasant weather because a lot of it is underground. However, the Chinese seem to have taken it over - that is where the money is. They are very hardworking people but not good at integrating nor at keeping areas clean and tidy. The quality of massive new building construction everywhere leaves much to be desired and PC correctness is horribly correct and over rides every single aspect of life to the point of fear.

There are huges swathes of new immigrants from Russia, China, India and the Middle East. They congregate in their own chosen areas where they keep to themselves within their own cultures. Apartheid in its purest form. It is possible that they do not consider themselves Canadians first and foremost. There is always that feeling that they are there temporarily - perhaps before moving to the USA or back home when "things have settled down!" Hospitals are surprisingly dirty now, visitors seem to come and go as they please and medical staff rather too easy going with regard to cleanliness probably due to political correctness. There is a horrifying amount of violence in Toronto since the increase in immigration. To end on a good note. The Theatre, Opera and Arts are still excellent and all medical needs are still free except for dentists.
Posted by A realistic Canadian on January 18, 2008 1:47 PM

We are Western Canadians who lived in Toronto for 3 years in the mid eighties followed by 20 years in the UK, now returned to Toronto in 2006. We enjoyed the UK but were glad to come back to Toronto. London is beautiful but too expensive, crowded and run-down. In any case, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like cultural diversity, great restaurants and a reasonably good standard of living, Toronto has a lot to offer. Naturally, some people will prefer to be elsewhere. London is an exciting place to visit, but you can't live in a museum.
Posted by Mitch McCrimmon on January 18, 2008 12:20 PM

I agree with Sajjad and I recently took Lynn's (if I may say, typically touchy Torontonian) advice and have no regrets at all. Snow is overrated and the air quality in summer is awful.
Posted by barry the baptist on January 18, 2008 10:49 AM

Albeit nice, Toronto is a poor man's Chicago. As others have said - insular and provincial. And, even though their beer is bloody awful, they think it's the best - typically Canadian. Simultaneously self-important, pompous and brimming w/ an inferiority complex and a hugely false sense of pride, Toronto is a city that is enjoyable, but is, just like the rest of Canada, ruined by canucks, who just passionately hate being bested by America in all things important.
Posted by Abbey Cockfoster on January 18, 2008 10:47 AM

I lived in TO for 20 years. It is the dullest most parochial place to live. A bleak city on a flat plain by a vast dead lake. The winters are damp and horrible and the summers nasty with humidity. What to like? Well, you can turn right on a red light.
Posted by Austin Barry on January 18, 2008 8:31 AM

Vancouvers skyline does not compare to Torontos this must be a joke
Posted by Andrew Rathenson on January 18, 2008 4:27 AM

Well said, Alec! I have some trouble believing the writer has lived in Toronto for as long as he says he has. The Greek area is on Danforth Avenue, not Street, and is usually called "the Danforth". Little India is on Gerrard St. East, not West. There's a second, smaller, Chinatown on Gerrard East between Broadview and Logan Avenues, not far from the Danforth. For market stalls and food, I'd go to the Kensington Market, just West of the main Chinatown, or the St. Lawrence Market near the flatiron building mentioned in the article; certainly not to a Richtree -- a chain which makes Pret a Manger look ritzy. Admittedly, you can't put everything in a brief article, but this looks like a slapdash job cobbled together from a few tourist brochures. Like Sajjad, above, I find Toronto a fine place to live but it's "world class" only in our mayor's imagination. This is a pleasant enough provincial city and, if you don't expect more than that, you'll have a nice time here. While it's thankfully much safer than other cities its size, Toronto is not without crime. A man was shot dead on the street today 10 minutes' walk from my house in a "good" neighbourhood -- the second such shooting recently -- and there have been two armed robberies even closer to home in the past week. Take all the precautions you normally would to avoid car theft, bag snatchings etc.
Posted by Judy on January 18, 2008 3:37 AM

Born in Toronto in 1934, I've seen a human scale city spread like a great fungus across thousands of square kilometres of lovely agricultural land. The valley where I had a camp, unmolested, for two years is now devoted to the Don Valley Parkway. I now live in the 'Beach' which is the only village like walking district left.
Posted by Hugh Jones on January 17, 2008 10:29 PM

I moved from my native city of Vancouver, Canada's most beautiful city, to Toronto over thirty years ago for business reasons. I had planned to return to Vancouver one day, but have learned to appreciate living in Canada's largest city.

Toronto was once described by actor Peter Ustinov as "New York run by the Swiss". I couldn't agree more!
Posted by Neil on January 16, 2008 9:28 PM

I've just spent a week in Toronto. While there my car was due for an oil change. My son in law recommended a place at the corner of Spadina & Eglinton. I was welcomed with a cup of coffee and a copy of The Globe & Mail. The oil change was done by the time I had reached p.3.
Posted by Canon Bob Tuck on January 16, 2008 7:46 PM

I have lived in Ontario all of my life, much of it in Toronto, and I don't know anybody who calls "dinner" "supper". When I was a child, many years ago, farmers used to call the noon meal "dinner" and the evening meal "supper", mainly because the noon meal was the hearty one. Now using this terminology marks one as either out of date or out of the backwoods.
Posted by R. Tait on January 16, 2008 6:42 PM

Paul James who are you trying to kid? Are you in
the employ of David MiIler? (TO's mayor) I totally
agree with Sajjad; we moved to TO in Sept '07
and I cannot wait to return to Blightey. TO is by
far the most provincial, insular and self satisfied
city I've had the misfortune to live in...
In the 1950's-60's TO suffered from the "old is
bad, new is good" mentality and the city fathers
systematically pulled down any building of worth
or character and replaced it with a faceless
"modern" skyscraper - the city then lost what
soul it had.
Posted by Scrivenor on January 16, 2008 6:33 PM

I have lived on and off in Canada for 40 years. I am lucky enough to live in Vancouver which is only interesting for its natural beauty and as a jumping off point to outstanding wilderness. Toronto is boring; has awful weather;has no close wilderness is ugly and I would rate it at best middle from a world scale perspective
Posted by rbh on January 16, 2008 6:29 PM

Paul James' article is so lacking!
What about all the new "Gems of Toronto", the Four Seasons Opera House, the Royal Otario Museum Crystal, the Museum of Ceramics, the Bata Shoe Museum ? And for sightseeing the beautifully landscaped Queen's Quay, the cruises on Lake Ontario, the renovated Distillery District?
I'll bet he lives in Mississauga!
Posted by Alec Hartill on January 16, 2008 6:14 PM

I never found Toronto particularly appealing. While it does have some good architecture, its skyline pales in comparison to other Canadian cities, like Vancouver, for example.

The weather is cold and damp in the winter and in the summer it is hot and humid with terrible air quality. Lake Ontario may be nice for boating, but you cannot eat the fish from the lake because of pollution.

And to cap it all, the beer is awful!
Posted by Terence Lowe on January 16, 2008 4:24 PM

Great to see that Paul James has an appreciation of Toronto - its a relatively new city by comparison to London and Montreal, its history is different.
Sajjad is obviously homesick for the socalled better time of life. If he is not happy all that I can suggest is to go back to the U.K.

I have lived in Toronto since 1975, and have watched it grow from a small town to a great city, it has just so much to offer.- such diversity. If all places were the same, would there be any point in visitng.

We have great summers, lovelly cold winters, and lots to enjoy. We have an amazing theatre district, just as good as London or New York (two very old cities!) great restaurants.

For a City that has in the last 30 years become what it has, its truly amazing - London had been the centre of the universe for hundreds of years, Montreal was the main trading centre for Britain and France and grew quicker than Toronto. Life is different in both cities, just come and see, one will be pleasantly suprised.
Posted by lynn on January 16, 2008 4:12 PM

I feel Mr.James has portrayed a rather rosy-spectacled view of T.O. I've lived here since 1975. When I arrived, the city was spotless and offered a pleasant change from the vandalism and street garbage that polluted England at the time, and still does. Toronto has all of that now, and pervasive graffiti. Safety is a matter of opinion; hand guns unfortunately are legal here, and one was used in a very recent street killing. The schools are blackboard jungles; the only difference between the public and the fee-paying is that the kids pay more for their drugs. Mr.James also forgot to mention the horrendous traffic and the 400 series freeways that skirt and intersect the city. You can guarantee that a major accident, almost daily, on one of these involving a tractor-trailer unit (not necessarily that driver's fault) will cause a traffic hold-up for many hours. If you can put up with all this, then I guess that Toronto's no worse than anywhere else.
Posted by Tony Quance on January 16, 2008 3:57 PM

Having also moved from England to Canada and settled in the Toronto area, I find the city distinctly lacking in character and boring. When compared with other great cities like London (England), the city of Toronto pales. Even Montreal is a far more interesting city with much more character and history. The factors that keep me here are things like standard of living, but certainly not the City of Toronto, which is a fine place to live and work in. How I long to be able to visit England and London every year. The child-hood memories I have of summer holidays in London, spending day after day visiting museum after museum and historic sites, and seaside towns like Brighton and Land's End.
Posted by Sajjad Khaliq on January 16, 2008 2:00 PM

We think we have the best beer? What notable beers do we even make here??? I have never heard that.

It doesn't describe the city we all know very apt at all. In fact, it could have been written 10 years ago (as it doesn't talk about anything recent in this city, including the cultural renaissance).

Well, it's a start. In the UK, where Canada = Vancouver or Montreal, any positive story on Toronto is a good thing. As for the comments, well, whatever. The meanies are the ones most likely to write comments.

The English are generally very nice people....except for the ones the immigrate to other countries.
I grew up in Bermuda, where everyone was treated as a 'dumb colonist' by the 'limeys'.
I now live in Toronto....the best city in the world.

Everything's relative, especially one's childhood memories.

Having also moved from England to Canada and settled in the Toronto area, I find the city distinctly lacking in character and boring. When compared with other great cities like London (England), the city of Toronto pales. Even Montreal is a far more interesting city with much more character and history. The factors that keep me here are things like standard of living, but certainly not the City of Toronto, which is a fine place to live and work in. How I long to be able to visit England and London every year. The child-hood memories I have of summer holidays in London, spending day after day visiting museum after museum and historic sites, and seaside towns like Brighton and Land's End.
Posted by Sajjad Khaliq on January 16, 2008 2:00 PM

..one could just easily reverse the story. I can certainly imagine someone in the UK who grew up in Toronto longing for those humid summers, cold winters, the breeze from the lake, the ravines, etc, etc. Personally I very much like that we're not NY or London or whatever. Being out of sight and on the edge, the periphery, is a good thing one of the many things that makes this place so intriguing. We live in a free world so there must be something about this place that attracts people to it to such a degree.To dismiss the city as being 'provincial, dirty and boring' is extremely ignorant.

^ The comment itself is bizarre:

The factors that keep me here are things like standard of living, but certainly not the City of Toronto, which is a fine place to live and work in.

How can the standard of living - the fact that it's a fine place to LIVE and work in - be abstracted from the city itself? Absurd.

At least it wasn't like one of the previous article, which used the market that didn't sell endangered species of fish as an example of why the city is great (something like that, anyway). A lot of the areas we enjoy like Queen West, the Annex or Yonge aren't areas dominated by high rises. It must be said that a great deal of the high rises in the city are impressive, by Western standards, the diversity is unavoidable and ultimately enjoyable.

The truly odd thing is the author 'seeing the good' in the underground city, which tends to be underwhelming.

I had the misfortune of growing up in Toronto in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s before finally making my desperate escape to Asia, and finally, to England. I will never, ever return. Toronto is a drab, plain and provincial city ho-humming under delusions of greatness. And that's what makes it so acutely unbearable - a population of smug and insular types who hide their pettiness and mild bigotry under a suffocating cloak of political correctness, whose only claim to an "identity" is being non-American. The bleak slush of ice and dirt that covers the city for six months a year makes it even more dispiriting.
Posted by Jennifer Lee on January 18, 2008 6:04 PM

She complains about the drabness and 6 months of slush and dirt but has no living in England? :p

What's with all the negative comments about Toronto?

Yes, obviously, the city has problems just like any big city, but many of these problems are out of Toronto's control.

The issue with regards to recognizing the qualifications of our immigrants is not a municipal issue. There is nothing Toronto can do about that.

Funding is another issue... municipalities are inherently given the shaft ever since Mike Harris starting downloading fees onto the cities.

Gun crime is on the rise as well, and yes poverty is still an issue. Toronto cannot control on its own the issue of guns. This is something that needs federal, provincial and municipal coordination. Even if it includes an all out handgun ban.

Despite all of this, I believe, it is a time of enormous optimism for the city. After years we are finally starting to see some changes on the Waterfront, and although it will take a couple decades to complete, it will improve our city enormously.

We have the Transit City plan that will expand our public transit system, and while not perfect, it is a great start.

We've got three office buildings going up... and if I recall correctly, the last time an office building was constructed in the city was in the late 80's to mid 90's. And slowly, corporate taxes in the city are dropping.

We are also seeing some beautiful projects coming to the city. 1 Bloor, the L Tower, Shang ri-la, etc, etc.

All I'm saying is that yes there is still a lot of work to do, but for once we can have some optimism.

All in all, the city can entertain and delight, but also disappoint. There's no city in the world I'd expect anything different.

Britain must have a really big alcoholism problem, judging from the way they keep complaining about our beer.

Toronto is home, and why bash your home. Besides, TO is in the midst of some major home renovations and additions. Good times, good times.

Meh.

I think the only valid argument is how Toronto (or more specifically Canada) doesn't recognize foreign credentials. As such those who have trained elsewhere find it difficult to make a living here.

If someone can live in Toronto and not find something to do that meets their interests, I really must question how sincerely they tried.

It's a great city that is getting better, and it's an exciting time to live in the city.

Well, it's a start. In the UK, where Canada = Vancouver or Montreal, any positive story on Toronto is a good thing.

I have to say--I live in the UK and don't think that's true in the slightest. To the extent Brits are interested in Canada (which is admittedly not very great) Toronto has a very high profile, certainly as much so as any other city if not more. My British friends are all more or less aware that it's the biggest and most important Canadian city, etc., and it gets very positive press in the travel sections of virtually all the London papers. In fact, I wouldn't say Montreal or Vancouver are really on the radar very much at all, aside from occasional newspaper articles (but everyone gets those). Witness the lack of printed TimeOut guides to either city, for example--and if there's any publication that can act as a barometer of UK travel interests, that's it.

Then again, the core problem is, as always, that Canada as a whole is seen as an outdoors destination, not an urban one. I guess that's not surprising when Paris, Berlin, Rome and Madrid are all so close, but there's still ground that could be made up.

Back