8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

tissot

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like MLSE is looking for a developer to build a training facility. Where do you guys think would be the best location? I would think MLSE would want it close to BMO field.

Video could be found here http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

PDF here http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/Practice Facility.pdf

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Portlands makes sense to me. Along with the hockey facility, the waterfront trail, the trail along the Leslie Spit and the proximity to Lake Ontario, the Portlands could become the "go-to" place for recreation in the downtown. The Portlands could be our Chelsea Piers.

I think the quote was that they have approached partner municipalities and developers.

This thing takes up a lot of land and I doubt they will find anywhere in the city where this is most optimal economic use of land. Gotta disagree with tissot that they will want it near BMO. Their problem right now is that all of their offices and facilities are at BMO but their training is elsewhere so players show up at BMO for training and are bussed to where they train. Once they have training facilities, offices, weight rooms and pitches all in one place there is absolutely no need for this to be at BMO (most top flight soccer clubs around the world have training facilities away from their stadiums).....like the Leafs practicing at the Mastercard.

This will end up, I believe, at a suburban location that has easy highway access for the players to drive to. One that I am familiar with, for example, would be the conglomoration of soccer pitches that the City of Brampton built at Dixie and 407. Easy to get to for the players no matter where they live in the GTA and an opportunity for a municipality to leverage land that they have already set aside for soccer into a world class (and this is as good as just about any teams training facilities) facility....

....not saying it ends up there (other GTA municipalities probably have similar spots) but it will end up somewhere like that.

About the only places in the "416" that I could see this ending up would be Downsview or at York University.

Well, I suggested Portlands assuming that it's in the 416. Otherwise, I might suggest that area in Brampton previously mentioned. Some place in Markham near the 407/404 might be a sensible area as well.

Well, I suggested Portlands assuming that it's in the 416. Otherwise, I might suggest that area in Brampton previously mentioned. Some place in Markham near the 407/404 might be a sensible area as well.

If you go to www.torontofc.ca and click on the tfc tv section you can watch an interview with Paul Bierne (the director of business ops for TFC) and he clearly says that they have sent out the proposal to different municipalities (I think he uses the word "townships") in the GTA....they are not limiting themselves to Toronto.

It'd be interesting to see if Mississauga submits something, considering the new land they got transfered over between the 9th Line and the 407. It's all meant to be recreation facilities for the most part so I'd imagine this would fit into the grand scheme. Whether or not it'd be large enough for this and other facilities is another question...

At the end of the day Toronto FC will want to keep this close to home.

If that were 100% true they would not have bothered involving other municipalities, they would have simply struck a deal with their most prominent season ticket holder in the west side upper deck....Mayor Miller ;)

They are probably well aware that their abilitiy to find land suitable for this project in the city itself is somewhat limited.

They may have a bias towards being near BMO but not much of one. On average they play a home match every other week or so....so they really don't need to be near BMO that often. The biggest clubs in the world have training facilities quite distant from their home stadia.

At the end of the day anywhere in the GTA is close to home in comparison to their away games. "Cheapest" is the word that comes to mind.

At the end of the day anywhere in the GTA is close to home in comparison to their away games. "Cheapest" is the word that comes to mind.

Your right although I would never accuse them of being cheap...they are however value concious and there is likely better value outside of the city.

Downsview Park would be an amazing location for this, it already packed with people playing soccer anyways (indoor ofcourse) this would just add to that by making it both summer friendly and winter friendly.

Downsview Park would be an amazing location for this, it already packed with people playing soccer anyways (indoor ofcourse) this would just add to that by making it both summer friendly and winter friendly.

Plus there is subway line to Downsview station for TFC players that can't afford a car...lol

Plus there is subway line to Downsview station for TFC players that can't afford a car...lol

There may be some who fall into that category (using the salaries for 2009 as published on their union's web page) the salaries ranged up from $20k (Gabe Gala) and there were several in the $30k - $45k range. Assuming they have to pay for somewhere to live, there may actually be some that don't drive.....although a sponsor like Kia might look after that ;)

Back