News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Morguard has registered to lobby the City on behalf of the owner to explore redevelopment options.

1673286372427.png

This Mall is located at 1530 Albion Road, on the west side of Kipling.

Site Size: ~15 hectares/37 acres *

Difficult to ascertain as there are multiple parcels/easements across and adjacent to the overt mall property, but I think I'm in the ballpark.

The area is generally low-rise in character to the south, west and east; but sports a collection of purpose-built rental to the north that's in 12-14s range.

The site does have (or will have) the Finch West LRT on its north/west frontage.

While the site lacks a high density precedent, I don't see it being all the problematic here. I'm not sure I see this as a 40s+ cluster; but definitely dense and hirise.

Site as it is (Albion frontage):

1673287074387.png

UT has a dedicated thread for this mall in the Retail Section, and it can be found here:

I imagine @Justin Ziadeh might have some thoughts.

Morguard has registered to lobby the City on behalf of the owner to explore redevelopment options.

View attachment 449457

This Mall is located at 1530 Albion Road, on the west side of Kipling.

Site Size: ~15 hectares/37 acres *

Difficult to ascertain as there are multiple parcels/easements across and adjacent to the overt mall property, but I think I'm in the ballpark.

The area is generally low-rise in character to the south, west and east; but sports a collection of purpose-built rental to the north that's in 12-14s range.

The site does have (or will have) the Finch West LRT on its north/west frontage.

While the site lacks a high density precedent, I don't see it being all the problematic here. I'm not sure I see this as a 40s+ cluster; but definitely dense and hirise.

Site as it is (Albion frontage):

View attachment 449458

UT has a dedicated thread for this mall in the Retail Section, and it can be found here:

I imagine @Justin Ziadeh might have some thoughts.
Oh dang. This site has a bunch of hostility towards it in the finch west lrt section. The basic thought was that this site already has enough people so why would you add more and make traffic worse for everyone. It should be expected when you get new transit but some people want their cake and eat it too.

Rexdale needs to be terraformed.
Well I guess it kind of makes sense to intensify this mall. Because of the Finch LRT line running north of the property on Finch Ave. I'm wondering the amount of intensification love to see the rendering lol!

Well I guess it kind of makes sense to intensify this mall. Because of the Finch LRT line running north of the property on Finch Ave. I'm wondering the amount of intensification love to see the rendering lol!
I can’t wait to see the renderings with Ferraris and Bentleys entering and exiting said executive condos.

Seems most of Rexdale's major shopping malls located around the LRT line are being pegged for redevelopment. First Woodbine, then Elmhurst Plaza and now Albion.
Personally, I can't see the Albion Mall getting an update; LRT or otherwise. Other than a few recognizable shops, the bulk of Albion Mall is essentially no-name stores.

In fact, more shops are opening around Albion Mall (along Finch) than inside the mall itself. I'm guessing Morguard is humouring the idea that the extra foot traffic
provided by the Finch LRT may inspire more visitors.

Seems most of Rexdale's major shopping malls located around the LRT line are being pegged for redevelopment. First Woodbine, then Elmhurst Plaza and now Albion.
Personally, I can't see the Albion Mall getting an update; LRT or otherwise. Other than a few recognizable shops, the bulk of Albion Mall is essentially no-name stores.

In fact, more shops are opening around Albion Mall (along Finch) than inside the mall itself. I'm guessing Morguard is humouring the idea that the extra foot traffic
provided by the Finch LRT may inspire more visitors.

No inside info here, but I'll offer that I'm fairly certain they are looking to add multi-residential to the site.

The only real question in my mind is whether they intend to retain the existing mall for now, or redevelop the entire site.

The overall site is large enough to allow for new development while keeping all or a portion of the mall.

There are a lot of no name shops but also a decent number of anchors: crappy tire, no frills, shoppers lcbo, beerstore mcdonalds, tims, etc and they are all decently busy.
I would assume they are keeping the mall, there is so much space around the mall that they can develop easily, the parking lots at no frills and the south east part can easily hold 6 towers probably, plus the huge setback on the north side can probably fit another 3-4 with a nice park.

Back