News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Maybe not Munich or Zurich. I'll agree we've surpassed them. But are we ahead of say Vienna? I doubt it.

That said, ascendancy implies global importance in my mind, not quality of life. If that's the case then it's a toss-up. For example, Montreal is still more of a global centre (with a lot of UN and other international organizations based there) than Toronto. Though I'd argue that Toronto is now certainly more well-known than Montreal globally.

Trust me, after living in Madrid for a year, they're not even worth our time or attention. They're behind Barcelona in many ways (Spain's second city packs a very mighty punch, unlike ours), while where they do excel, they're far below Toronto. Just consider it a nice location to get so plastered, for cheap, that you will wake up in a fountain the next morning with absolutely no recollection of what happened the prior night.

Can you elborate beyond the quality of boozing? I am curious why you think they are or are not better. Transit, housing prices, housing stock, food?

Can you elborate beyond the quality of boozing? I am curious why you think they are or are not better. Transit, housing prices, housing stock, food?

It mostly has to do with Madrid's international reach (or in this case, lack thereof)... The city struggles to project any sort of image beyond its borders while Barcelona continues to heavily be Spain's face abroad. Compared to Toronto, the Iberian exchange, in Madrid, is a lightweight, most of Madrid's corporations aren't of any significance beyond the Iberian peninsula. Culturally, the city has incredible museums, but the entire thing seems forced - as being the capital of a once great empire gets you the riches associated with it.

Transit is incredible, but then again every hamlet in Spain has good transit. Barcelona also does quite well in this department but has to deal with significantly more complicated engineering as the city is built on steep hills and surrounded by mountains. Housing prices are too high, a reason for the Spanish bubble that just destroyed their economy, housing stock is poorly built, quickly by greedy developers and the food is delicious but everything is fried.

Regardless - I think most people agree Barcelona continues to be Spain's premier city, even though Madrid is bigger and richer. The difference between Barcelona and Montreal is that Barca did not nuke its economy in the 70s, it was simply slowly passed by Madrid. The city continues to have a dynamic economy, a dynamic population and the entry point for most companies into the Spanish market. That is the main difference; Barcelona is still a thriving, wealthy city, Montreal is a stagnating relic who's heyday has long passed. I don't buy that international organizations in Montreal make it more global, otherwise Geneva would be the world's second most global city, which is a joke - let's face it.

It mostly has to do with Madrid's international reach (or in this case, lack thereof)... The city struggles to project any sort of image beyond its borders while Barcelona continues to heavily be Spain's face abroad. Compared to Toronto, the Iberian exchange, in Madrid, is a lightweight, most of Madrid's corporations aren't of any significance beyond the Iberian peninsula. Culturally, the city has incredible museums, but the entire thing seems forced - as being the capital of a once great empire gets you the riches associated with it.

Transit is incredible, but then again every hamlet in Spain has good transit. Barcelona also does quite well in this department but has to deal with significantly more complicated engineering as the city is built on steep hills and surrounded by mountains. Housing prices are too high, a reason for the Spanish bubble that just destroyed their economy, housing stock is poorly built, quickly by greedy developers and the food is delicious but everything is fried.

Regardless - I think most people agree Barcelona continues to be Spain's premier city, even though Madrid is bigger and richer. The difference between Barcelona and Montreal is that Barca did not nuke its economy in the 70s, it was simply slowly passed by Madrid. The city continues to have a dynamic economy, a dynamic population and the entry point for most companies into the Spanish market. That is the main difference; Barcelona is still a thriving, wealthy city, Montreal is a stagnating relic who's heyday has long passed. I don't buy that international organizations in Montreal make it more global, otherwise Geneva would be the world's second most global city, which is a joke - let's face it.

I've often wondered why Montreal has the lion's share of international organizations, and put it down to politics and to a time when this city was on top. Now it would make sense to see more international groups headquartered in Toronto, if the " politics " is right of course.

I've often wondered why Montreal has the lion's share of international organizations, and put it down to politics and to a time when this city was on top. Now it would make sense to see more international groups headquartered in Toronto, if the " politics " is right of course.

Not even so much about politics. People forget that at one time Montreal was Canada's most dominant city. It was bigger than Toronto too, I believe.

I don't think Montreal is stagnant at all. It's just settled comfortably into its second city status. And except for its anglo population doesn't feel the need to prove anything. It won't be number one ever again anymore than Vancouver will be number two but it will certainly keep trucking.

I like Barcelona but it feels like a small town in comparison to Madrid. And it rarely lives up to its own high opinion of itself.

In terms of development, Montreal doesn't seem booming at all. But it's not in decline either. It's vibrant and the public spaces are well-maintained.

I don't think Montreal is stagnant at all. It's just settled comfortably into its second city status. And except for its anglo population doesn't feel the need to prove anything. It won't be number one ever again anymore than Vancouver will be number two but it will certainly keep trucking.

I like Barcelona but it feels like a small town in comparison to Madrid. And it rarely lives up to its own high opinion of itself.

Really? I've lived in Madrid, went once a month for a few days to Barcelona and for me BCN is a cosmopolitan city the likes Madrid will never be. My friends and I summed it up this way: Barcelona = Europe, Madrid = Spain.

Really? I've lived in Madrid, went once a month for a few days to Barcelona and for me BCN is a cosmopolitan city the likes Madrid will never be. My friends and I summed it up this way: Barcelona = Europe, Madrid = Spain.

Oh I agree completely with that statement. But I just don't necessarily find anything wrong with it either.

Yeah, why does every city around the world have to be diverse? It's like those morons that want England to be part of Europe--disgusting.

Is there a major city anywhere on the planet that isn't diverse in some way? And I don't necessarily mean diverse in the Toronto-style cultural sense - there are many cities with greater economic diversity, overt religious diversity, political diversity, etc. than Toronto (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

It all depends on one's definition of stagnant, however, imo it is.
The city of Montreal has barely grown in 4 decades. Currently it is at 1.6 million with an average growth of about 0.4 i believe. The city of Calgary is at 0.988 million with an average growth of 2.4. If Calgary keeps on growing at that rate, it is only a matter of time until it becomes Canada's second city.

Calgary already has 1.1 million people as of 2010. The Region is expected to be at 2.1 million in 2030. 700k is not out of the question.

Calgary already has 1.1 million people as of 2010. The Region is expected to be at 2.1 million in 2030. 700k is not out of the question.

Thanks for the update. My numbers were from 2006. I just verified and the city of montreal is still hovering at 1.6-1.63 in 2010.
Many people are blind to the fact that Montreal has fallen and it's importance has really diminished. Sometime in the 2020s Calgary will surpass Montreal. However, Montreal will have a bigger metropolitan area for a while longer.

Back