News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I worry more about frying the chicken nuggets in seed oils (likely either soybean oil or canola) that are highly reactive at high temps and make lots of nasty byproducts. Would be better to use something more stable for deep frying.

I avoid processed food as much as possible. I make my own food as much as possible so I know what is in it. It’s not just calories that count but where those calories come from.

The issue of obesity isn't all that simple. Many facets.

Let's get the genetic component out of the way first. Everyone's metabolism is different for a variety of reasons. Some people lack certain enzymes and can't metabolise certain nutrients, for example. Metabolism is also affected by your gut biome, that is the bacteria inside you. These help you digest foods and thus metabolise nutrients. Imbalances in bacteria can lead to obesity in some cases.
There are other organ-related metabolic disadvantages that some people have as well.

That being said, metabolism can be influenced by individuals. The above-mentioned bacteria are one example.
Other examples include exercise, CNS stimulants, diet, sleep and circadian rhythm.

It gets quite complex.

Not sleeping enough, for example, can mess with your diet and metabolism.

So can eating the wrong things at the wrong time of day.

Or intaking more energy than you expend.

Or what kind of energy you're intaking and what sort of activity you're then expending it doing.

It's far from simple.

That being said, for most people, a good starting point to maintaining good body weight is to take care of your gut biome and to intake only as much energy as you need.

To attain ideal body weight, it's less energy than you expend.

And to gain body weight it's more energy than you expend, but of a certain kind coupled with exercise.

It's complex.

Ooooh, then we could get into the psychology behind it all as well. And the way that certain diets induce changes in the brain (the brain is a beautiful, beautiful thing) that make it harder for people to change their behaviour in terms of diet.

There is quite a correlation between obesity and conservatism:

It is very important to note that correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation.

It is very important to note that correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation.
Hrmmn... I have been putting on the pounds lately

Cities seem to be least obesogenic and more liberal. Might have something to do with assortative location choices and the impact on built form.

The “healthy food is more expensive” myth has been debunked many times. 65 dollars buys enough fruits, veggies, small amount of non-red meat, brown rice, beans, oatmeal, etc. to eat for a week. The prices quoted as “more expensive” often assume that people get every meal at the Whole Foods pre-cut salad bar, the least budget-friendly option. Fast and processed foods are quicker, often more available and tastier, but not cheaper.

Back