News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Really the big issue for downtown east is the inequitable distribution of the emergency shelters and TCHC housing.

Just look here, https://www.google.com/maps/search/emergency+shelter+toronto/@43.6579016,-79.3732443,15.75z and you can see the homeless industrial complex (HIC) focused on downtown east. Same goes for TCHC, with much of their housing concentrated in downtown east, https://www.torontohousing.ca/our-housing

To make this area more livable, the HIC needs to be broken up and the shelters and TCHC housing distributed across the city, with no NIMBY exceptions. I don't see why, for example Maxwell Meighen Centres can't be built in quiet residential areas near Bayview and Lawrence, and near Keele and Wilson. There's Sunnybrook and Humber River hospitals right there for those needing medical, addiction or mental health help. And shelters aside, what we need is supportive housing across the city that includes young adults who with support may be able to work or live more independent, stable lives. I would gladly pay a 50% property tax hike if I knew we'd see equitable distribution across this city of a much larger network of shelters and supportive housing.
This is exactly it.

TCHC units need to be moved to all neighbourhoods. I suggest starting with moving a bunch of it to forest hill and rosedale.

This is coming from someone who actually grew up in TCHC unlike most with “opinions”.

How about we put drug addicts into rehab facilities, take mentally ill people and put them into treatment centers - isnt that actually what is needed to clean up this area?
That would involve actually caring enough to make the hard decisions required to help these folks. Instead we bunch them up into one neighbourhood and forget about them.

Unfortunately, like so many things, the province needs to step up here with funding. It’s ridiculous to me that any city has to deal with homelessness and rehab through property taxes.

My personal preference is to localize part of the taxing power, and allow municipalities to have a sales and/or income tax. This would be done by taking some of the current provincial tax room and handing it to municipalities, after which municipalities could do what they wish. Chance of that happening in Ontario? Zero. The trend is to more and more centralization, for all its downsides.

How about we put drug addicts into rehab facilities, take mentally ill people and put them into treatment centers - isnt that actually what is needed to clean up this area?
That would require services that don't actually exist at the moment. And consent of the persons involved.

What you are suggesting is called institutionalization. It's what produced the horror shows of psychiatric care before the 1970s. At the end of the day, most people don't like being in hospitals for their entire lives, or being forced into psychiatric care. And we have to respect the choices of people, even when they have serious psychiatric problems.

Definitely more community supports are needed. But the biggest need is just housing. People need their own homes.

It's an interesting conversation to have.

Institutionalization provides for a safer society. People are dead and families have suffered because we don't have institutionalization. Institutionalization makes downtown more desirable for women, families and seniors. Many of our TTC safety incidents would not have happened giving higher TTC ridership, less congestion, lower ghg emissions. I'm sure there is much more, that's just off the top of my head.

If you have a serious enough psychiatric illness that societal safety is at risk, there is an argument to make for institutionalization.

That would involve actually caring enough to make the hard decisions required to help these folks. Instead we bunch them up into one neighbourhood and forget about them.
Would also require changing multiple Canadian laws to infringe on people's rights that could be used against other citizens as well. So unfortunately when you talk about arresting people for an addiction or mental health that can't just apply to homeless has to apply to everyone

At the end of the day, most people don't like being in hospitals for their entire lives, or being forced into psychiatric care. And we have to respect the choices of people, even when they have serious psychiatric problems.
Most people don't like being in prison either, but we don't pretend that we have to respect their choices when they are a danger to the public.

What you are suggesting is called institutionalization. It's what produced the horror shows of psychiatric care before the 1970s. At the end of the day, most people don't like being in hospitals for their entire lives, or being forced into psychiatric care. And we have to respect the choices of people, even when they have serious psychiatric problems.

Definitely more community supports are needed. But the biggest need is just housing. People need their own homes.
I would argue that responsible institutionalization is much more humane than leaving people to wander the streets hooked on drugs and unable to lead productive lives with serious mental health issues. England has reinstated this policy and I hear good things about it. It doesn’t need to be extreme

I would argue that responsible institutionalization is much more humane than leaving people to wander the streets hooked on drugs and unable to lead productive lives with serious mental health issues. England has reinstated this policy and I hear good things about it. It doesn’t need to be extreme
Can you explain the English 'solution"? All I can find is this PR which sounds remarkably similar to what is being done here. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/... thousands of vulnerable,, (23 December 2022).

Most people don't like being in prison either, but we don't pretend that we have to respect their choices when they are a danger to the public.
There is a very big difference between those people and the people in prison. If they broke the law then they need to be removed from society. But just because somebody does not fit your perfect idea of a person doesn't mean they should be locked up

I’m not referring to “homeless” Persay. Homelessness is really not a cause but an effect of drug abuse and mental health issues. In UK the police are called to a non-criminal disturbance involving drugged out person or someone displaying serious mental health issue they are brought to emergency rooms in the health care system and are dealt with by the appropriate health care professsional usually within an hour of being admitted. They are triaged and then determination for next steps can occur. For serious mental health issues institutionalization-care can occur if they do not have family or some one to stay with. Serious drug issues can be dealt with in the hospital itself

Reactions: DSC
That would require services that don't actually exist at the moment. And consent of the persons involved.
If someone is a danger to themselves and others they can be forced into treatment. But I'd be willing to bet that most mentally ill people would love to have counselling and prescriptions available.

Too often this conversation devolves into people being either bleeding hearts or completely heartless. The reality is somewhere in between. We need to have the services and housing available for people to be healthy and safe. At the same time, unstable people shouldn't be allowed to monopolize parks and put the public in danger. Those aren't opposing views. They're two sides of the same coin.

Institutionalization isn't a one size fits all solution, it's really only for extreme cases. But those extreme cases do exist.

Of course, most mentally ill people can live normal, independent (or semi-independent) lives with proper support and medication. The key is society actually being willing to pay for that.

Back