News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Other than Vancouver no one else is buying them.
I thought Kuala Lumpur was too. Haven't they ordered 374 cars - far more than Vancouver. Compared to only 164 for Vancouver (and only 314 if you include the pre-Bombardier cars from UTDC).

Wasn't there a big order recently for Saudi Arabia?

Yeah I was half expecting some variant of Bombardier's Innovia line of trains to *win* the bid. Other than Vancouver no one else is buying them. And they've effectively been banned from S.Korea for getting them to buy into it. Thought gov't intervention in Mtl would've had a deal signed, sealed, and delivered. A bit surprised they're going with Alstom, though maybe Mtl has good rapport with them after the BBD/Alstom Azur deal.

The Innovia line also includes monorail and automated people movers too not just ICTS/ART.

I thought Kuala Lumpur was too. Haven't they ordered 374 cars - far more than Vancouver. Compared to only 164 for Vancouver (and only 314 if you include the pre-Bombardier cars from UTDC).

Wasn't there a big order recently for Saudi Arabia?

Innovia Monorail 300 for the King Abdullah Financial District Monorail in Saudi Arabia

I'm hearing rumblings that Bombardier is being considered to design a replacement for the Mark VI monorails used on Walt Disney World's system since 1989 (also built by Bombardier)

Yeah I was half expecting some variant of Bombardier's Innovia line of trains to *win* the bid. Other than Vancouver no one else is buying them. And they've effectively been banned from S.Korea for getting them to buy into it. Thought gov't intervention in Mtl would've had a deal signed, sealed, and delivered. A bit surprised they're going with Alstom, though maybe Mtl has good rapport with them after the BBD/Alstom Azur deal.

I'm curious what vehicle Alstom plans to use, they don't have anything directly comparable to the Innovia line AFAIK. If they bring out the Citadis spirit again that would make two fully grade separated low floor routes in Canada. In Ottawa there at least was a plan to go at-grade at the edges justifying a low floor vehicle, that's not the case for REM.

They've screwed Toronto hard with the streetcar debacle. For that alone they should be excluded from bidding on the next major contracts coming up.

It's time to rename Bombardier Transportation.

It's not worthy of Joseph-Armand Bombardier's surname.

He's rolling in his grave more erratically than a Flexity at the epicentre of a magnitude 9 earthquake.

Apparently, the price of BBD's bid for the REM's rolling stock was not only much higher than Alstom's, but also higher than Hyundai-Rotem's, the other qualified bidder.

Bombardier planned to build everything in China.

Now the Quebec Premier is planning to extend the Azur order to replace the Montreal Metro's MR73 trains, which were only supposed to be replaced in 2036.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/p...ro-pour-sauver-des-emplois-a-la-pocatiere.php

A BBD Innovia Metro production run?

TTC should add 8 more cars for $30 million, to swap for 12 of Translink's 150 old Mark I cars that are similar to the TTC SRT cars, to add 3 more trainsets, and let the SRT to continue through and increase capacity until about 2030 or so, when (if LOL) the Line 2 extension to Scarborough Centre opens.
I would definitely be in favor of trying acquire some used Mark I cars from Vancouver, but the problem would be of where would these cars be stored? McCowan Yard is basically at capacity so the TTC would be forced to store any additional cars at a station.

I would definitely be in favor of trying acquire some used Mark I cars from Vancouver, but the problem would be of where would these cars be stored? McCowan Yard is basically at capacity so the TTC would be forced to store any additional cars at a station.

McCowan Yard was built to store at least 8 4-car trainsets - 32 cars total. The fleet is currently 28 cars-strong, so there is certainly more than enough room for at least another trainset. And if they get creative, they shouldn't have trouble storing another 2 or 3 beyond that on the property.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back