News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Except we have a few public golf courses, and many basketball/baseball/tennis courts.

Demand is much higher for the latter, which also take up much less space.

For both those reasons, the latter are also much less costly per person, in turn making them more accessible, and driving further demand.

So? I won't be shedding a tear even if we have zero public golf courses - any perceived benefit (i.e. the gateway argument) is far, far lower than the public benefit from the displacement by other uses.

AoD

Good for you. Not everyone agrees, and the city doesn't exist to solely cater to you.

Good for you. Not everyone agrees, and the city doesn't exist to solely cater to you.

Well, I am not the one b*tching about how we shouldn't have a tiny little park in the middle of a high density area because housing while crying "woe to the public golf course".

AoD

Last edited:
Well, I am not the one b*tching about how we shouldn't have a tiny little park in the middle of a high density area because housing while crying "woe to the public golf course".

AoD

Imagine different places in the city having different things. Crazy.

If your position is that I should be advocating for housing here as well, in a flood plain, then sure. You got me.

You might as well simplify it to - let others carry the weight of what I consider important (i.e. housing), so long as what I want and deem important stays the way it is. Fairly typical yellow-belt thinking.

AoD

Nah. That's an abstraction you're making on your own. Replacing a golf course with housing would be unfortunate, but vastly better than turning it into a park when it's already an area well serviced by parks.

If your position is that I should be advocating for housing here as well, in a flood plain, then sure. You got me.

Oh and as rebuttal to that - let's have a look at Deltonia right by Vic Park station:

1641921011354.png

TRCA Flood Plain:
1641920969005.png

You literally have a course right by a subway station with a large portion outside the flood plain and developable for high rise, which already exists right next to it. Any questions?

AoD

Nah. That's an abstraction you're making on your own. Replacing a golf course with housing would be unfortunate, but vastly better than turning it into a park when it's already an area well serviced by parks.

Putting aside that you can't build housing in a floodplain......

Which area are we discussing that has an abundance of parks?

The Scaborough South-West area, bounded by St. Clair in the north, the Railway in the South and East, and Victoria Park in the west is largely bereft of conventional parks.

Yes, it has a large green ribbon of natural'ish area; but that doesn't provide soccer fields, baseball diamonds or playgrounds, its not lit at night (nor should it be), and its not generally accessible in winter.

Downtown is also way short of park space by any reasonable measure. While I would organize net new space differently than PF&R has been; there is no real dispute as to the need for more.

Oh and as rebuttal to that - let's have a look at Deltonia right by Vic Park station:

View attachment 374250

TRCA Flood Plain:
View attachment 374249

You literally have a course right by a subway station with a large portion outside the flood plain and developable for high rise, which already exists right next to it. Any questions?

AoD

Just for clarity, the floodplain here does not show the topography well, there is less buildable area than that.

I did a map previously showing was was plausible, there are 2 parcels that are theoretically viable for housing; but the north parcel abuts 1s SFH which would seem to limit its potential w/o further purchases.

The south parcel is actually at the top of a hill; and would involve some challenges in terms of pedestrian/cycling/vehicle access; its also constrained by 10M top-of-bank rules and separation distances; but there is some viable land there.

Though the City will oppose any housing on golf lands; deeming it a precedent issue for other parks.

Last edited:
As a side note, I have the meeting live streaming in another tab; the pro-golf set are out in force deputing.

Yes, it has a large green ribbon of natural'ish area; but that doesn't provide soccer fields, baseball diamonds or playgrounds, its not lit at night (nor should it be), and its not generally accessible in winter.

Adjacent to Dentonia golf course are:

Dentonia Park has a baseball diamond and a soccer field.
Maryland Park has tennis courts and a playground.
Prairie Park has tennis courts.
Leyton Tot Lot has a playground .
Oakridge Park has a soccer field.
Donora Park has a playground.

If the argument is that there needs to be more, there is plenty of space available to add more without necessitating changes to the golf course.

Back