8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
karinpa:

Vista dosen't appreciate those softwares, it decided to decline my Sims 2, Photoshop, and movie making program after a month.

I don't know what's wrong with your OS - but Sims 2 is running just fine in Vista on my computer.

AoD

I used a Mac recently and I say it owns Vista, but XP is much better.

Sure the security issues, but in terms of the layout, I like XP simplicity.

It is a mater of opinion, some find the menu bar on the Mac to be simple, I find it to be a rather stupid thing and the right click makes playing video games impossibile!!

XP has problem but its much better for games and such and for doing work...

Mac is good at medi, but even XP is not to bad with that.

XP is better at stuff like photoshop and really the right click!! WTF is that!!!

... and the right click makes playing video games impossibile!!

I can't believe this urban myth persists. To be clear:

You can "right click" on a Mac. In fact, you can use any mouse on the market today on a Mac. 2 buttons... 4 buttons... gaming mice... the whole guacamole.

I don't have a problem with either, i'd like to say, but I find the PC able to do more in terms of development.

Also, it looks as though Mac's "better at multimedia" is under a major threat (albeit temporarily)

Next Photoshop will get 64-bit boost--on Windows only

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9909725-39.html?tag=nefd.pop

This is unfortunately Adobe dragging their feet. Developers for Apple have been using Cocoa to program for OS X since OS X first appeared. Adobe has had 6 years to catch up and program Photoshop in Cocoa... yet, they choose to use outdated programming code.
This is not going to bide in their favor as Apple has already cut into their Video editing marketshare with Final Cut Pro (quickly becoming the defacto professional video editing suite .... Adobe Premiere what?) and then beating Adobe to the punch with a Pro Photography App. (Apple Aperture which itself has many of Photoshop's editing capabilities, all non-destructive of the original master).

Nonetheless, the 64 bit difference won't be felt unless you're editing files 100's of GB in size. Nonetheless, I'm skipping CS4. I already have the CS3 suite which should hold me up for the next few years until CS5 is out (I often skip versions unless there's a major reason to adopt the new one).

I can't believe this urban myth persists. To be clear:

You can "right click" on a Mac. In fact, you can use any mouse on the market today on a Mac. 2 buttons... 4 buttons... gaming mice... the whole guacamole.

I don't think he's saying the right click doesn't exist...he's saying the design of the Mac mouse isn't condusive to game playing (ie. hitting the right click when you don't mean to).

^ I don't think serious gamers use the mouse shipped with their PC anyway. I also don't think he means what you're saying. I think he genuinely believes there's no right click on a Mac.

There is a right click on mac and i think Its rather stupid...

You have to like karate chop the computer with two fingers and and click at the same time.

That was my main issue with Mac Labtops, and really sure you can get a mouse with two buttons but what are labtops for????

Mac imo is 10X better then Vista, but I still perfer XP over it...

There is a right click on mac and i think Its rather stupid...

You have to like karate chop the computer with two fingers and and click at the same time.

That was my main issue with Mac Labtops, and really sure you can get a mouse with two buttons but what are labtops for????

Mac imo is 10X better then Vista, but I still perfer XP over it...

Here we go again...

I don't mean this in a derogatory fashion, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about... and that's fine... but do you really think you should be criticizing something without knowing what you're talking about? It makes you look rather foolish.

Open your mind. Just because Microsoft chose to use 2 buttons on a mouse and sometimes more on a laptop, it doesn't mean that everything forever has to stick to that model.

If you're going to read any of my rant, read this:

MacBooks use a pretty ingenious form of secondary click.

Primary click: navigate with one finger and to click hit the touch pad button
Secondary click: navigate with one finger and put a second finger down and click.

042531-oldgest.jpg

042007-gestures.jpg

The MacBook recognizes multi touch gestures on the pad. For example, moving one finger on the touch pad moves the cursor, dragging 2 fingers on the pad scrolls the screen. No need for special areas on the touch pad for vertical scrolling, another area for horizontal scrolling etc.

You can also pinch with 2 fingers in and out to zoom in and out of photos. You can use 2 fingers to make a turning gesture to rotate a photo. You can swipe several fingers across to move from one photo to another or to go back and forth in the browser.

The possibilities are endless and not limited by two mechanical buttons on "traditional" touch pads still in use in the Windows world.

It's incredibly instinctive and once you get used to it, I think you'll never want to go back to a mouse again.

The possibilities are endless and not limited by two mechanical buttons on "traditional" touch pads still in use in the Windows world.

It's incredibly instinctive and once you get used to it, I think you'll never want to go back to a mouse again.

try playing a video game with a Mac touch pad, and you want to shoot your own head off and that my friend is true for a PC laptop mouse as well.

It is a feature that some find to be great while others find to be rather pointless. Like some like how the mac has everything in a long menu bar while others prefer a desktop.

Just because something is new does not mean it is superior and also the mouse is rather complicated as i regularly still see people struggle with their mac while right clicking and its almost the end of the university year.

I agree that the Mac is much better then the Vista PC but it is not perfect as you claim it to be. It has flaws and the mouse is one of them.

try playing a video game with a Mac touch pad, and you want to shoot your own head off and that my friend is true for a PC laptop mouse as well.

Ok. We agree there. Playing a game on a touch pad isn't ideal. But like you said, it's the same for any OS. How does this enrich your argument?

If you want to play a game on a laptop, regardless of OS, plug in a gaming mouse or controller.

Like some like how the mac has everything in a long menu bar while others prefer a desktop.

Didn't we go over this before? I have no idea what you're talking about a Mac not having a desktop. I know you tried to make that point several pages ago, but explaining it over and over is not going to help, so I won't.

I recall Apple calling the desktop a "desktop" before there was a Windows version of a desktop. I believe that happened in 1984.

Any game that requires rapid mouse movement and clicking is not conducive on a touch-pad. They usually can't keep up, and if you lose a click in an RTS or FPS, it can be a very serious problem.

More laid-back games are fine on touchpads. I play turn-based strategy games with touchpad frequently enough with much annoyance.

Support for multi-touch gestures is pretty recent in Macbooks. I wouldn't be surprised if lordmandeep has never used it.

As for the mouse, the standard Mac mouse is certainly aesthetically pleasing. The trackball is nice too. Overall it isn't the most practical though. I find the standard PC mouse with a scrollbar offers better usability.

Personally, if I wanted an interactive experience I'd just get a Tablet PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back