News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am, but why are you bringing Linux into this?

Sorry, I meant Unix based...but I'm sure you knew that.

You are not familiar with OS X and you're demonstrating it by stating that Macs are difficult to develop for, that there are few applications for Mac, etc.

You're not familiar with PC's and don't seem to understand that there is not much available for the mac, and due to it's closed hardware, makes it difficult to develop for.

How can one claim to make a sensible argument without knowing about the object of the argument?

Which bring us back to your first post on this topic, where you clearly didn't understand what was being said....but chose to post anyway.

Technical complexity of the Windows culture is actually a negative and will probably prove its downfall in the consumer market in the coming years (we're already seeing it).

It's only complex for mac users who don't understand hardware, and need pictures to tell tham what to do...again, you prove my point.

What I like about OS X is that you get a machine that's very easy to use

That's what I like about PC's...and I don't have to buy apple branded hardware, at a premium, to make it work....as I asked earlier....how do I get 32 serial ports out of a mac?

Glad your happy with your mac....I prefer choice.

Sorry, I meant Unix based...but I'm sure you knew that.

You're not familiar with PC's and don't seem to understand that there is not much available for the mac, and due to it's closed hardware, makes it difficult to develop for.

Which bring us back to your first post on this topic, where you clearly didn't understand what was being said....but chose to post anyway.

It's only complex for mac users who don't understand hardware, and need pictures to tell tham what to do...again, you prove my point.

That's what I like about PC's...and I don't have to buy apple branded hardware, at a premium, to make it work....as I asked earlier....how do I get 32 serial ports out of a mac?

Glad your happy with your mac....I prefer choice.

Closed hardware is supposed to make it easy to develop for, not the other way around. The point is to make everything uniform so you don't have to write code for differeing drivers. At least that's the point of view of a gaming programmer.

Metroman said: You are not familiar with OS X and you're demonstrating it by stating that Macs are difficult to develop for, that there are few applications for Mac, etc.

Steve_ D said: You're not familiar with PC's and don't seem to understand that there is not much available for the mac, and due to it's closed hardware, makes it difficult to develop for.
If 20 years developing for PC's makes me unfamiliar with PC's....

Why do you insist on evading the topic of this thread? Microsoft's own admit in their private lives that Vista is a bust.

I don't know what your point is then. Technical complexity of the Windows culture is actually a negative and will probably prove its downfall in the consumer market in the coming years (we're already seeing it).

Technical complexity? Let's be real here - Windows is nowhere near as difficult to use as Apple would like everyone to believe. In some cases it's easier.

I find the programs that perform the worst on Windows are created by Apple (Quicktime, for example).

I see where we differ in opinions here and that's fine. You're probably a power use who likes to tinker with the OS. Apple has a lineup of computers for the consumer level user who prefers to see a computer as an appliance unlike a TV or a radio. You turn it on, you get your stuff done and you don't have to worry about constantly managing it to get it to simply work.

What I like about OS X is that you get a machine that's very easy to use , works cohesively with the hardware (because Apple provides the entire user experience, not just the OS) and provides you with a productive environment where you don't have to worry about the technical aspects of the computer.... however, should you want to delve in further, the UNIX based terminal is at your disposal.

Windows is far from perfect but I find these complaints really go over the top sometimes. I got my family a system that has Vista on it...they aren't computer savvy at all and have no problem using it. They actually find it to be a nice upgrade over XP.

I've been using XP for years with no problems.

The bottom line (and trying to get back on track with the topic of this thread) is that Microsoft once again failed to provide an ease of use OS that could allow it to maintain its lead in the computer market. Comments from Microsoft's own demonstrate that quite clearly.

Maintain it's lead? PCs with Windows still account for well over 90% of the world computer market.

We're beginning to see traditional Windows PC manufacturers (ASUS) bringing computers to market without Windows such as the EEE PC. Linux is beginning to peak through into the mainstream. Mac's are as popular as ever.... and when you have Windows enthusiasts looking for salvation in the form of Windows 7, I think that we can see that Windows Vista missed the mark and I'm not quite sure Microsoft will able to catch up by maintaining the Steve Balmer culture.

Windows has nothing to catch up to though. They're the leader. It's everyone else that has an opportunity to make inroads. Apples are selling more, but it's still a small fraction of the market.

People made a fuss when XP was released, but after a service pack or two everyone was fine with it. Will the same happen with Vista? Who knows.

It's worth noting that Leopard has it's problems too. As sales have increased so have the issues with hardware quality and software bugs. It's kind of surprising considering their are so few configuration options available.

I guess we'll see how it all works out.

how do I get 32 serial ports out of a mac?

Google it. Mac Pro is just as expandable as any PC.

rack3.jpg

1,100 Power Mac cluster @ Virginia Tech

You've convinved me, there are more macs in production environments then PC's....it just doesn't seem that way, but that's just an illusion forced upon us by the microsoft marketing people. Thanks for enlightening us all. ;)

macs are to simplistic...

XP is better imo.

If you know how to use a computer, nothing should happen.

http://www.bash.org/?699308

<Ich> I've discovered that people on IRC don't get offended or riled up by racism
<Ich> nor politically incorrect jokes
<Ich> nor feminism, nazism,
<Ich> nor goatse, or even tubgirl
<Ich> not even jokes about 9/11 get a rise out of anybody
<Ich> but as soon as I tell somebody that macs are better than PC's, things get ugly

In case you haven't heard of it, bash.org posts quotes from IRC chat rooms. Some hilarious.

I like to use to PC because I prefer to use a mouse with more than one button.

A Mac can use any mouse as well. Being a user of both operating systems ( OSX at work, XP at home ) I can see the benefits of both systems. I like having the ability to build my pc however I want, and it handles many online applications much better than a mac sometimes does. I also like how some video codecs seem to work better on PC's as well but some things I love about my mac are being able to connect any camera or device and it just seems to work without any drivers to install. I also find it much easier to set up the internet and networking while I sometimes think you need to be a computer expert to set up some preferences on my pc. I still hate that mac gives you a 1 button mouse though. I immediately trade it for a regular mouse. I need my right click baby.

I like to use to PC because I prefer to use a mouse with more than one button.

A classic example of PC vs Mac ignorance. :rolleyes:

Mac's can use any mouse you can throw at it... 2 buttons... 20 buttons.

Secondary clicks (which Windows calls "Right Click") can be accessed by tapping the right side of a Mac (Mighty) Mouse or touching two fingers to a MacBook trackpad instead of one and clicking.

The latter is the most intuitive user interface action since Apple first introduced the Mouse to computer users over 20 years ago.
Scrolling by dragging two fingers on the trackpad and now pinching to zoom in and out are a good example of how Apple's at the forefront of innovation in computing.

I still hate that mac gives you a 1 button mouse though. I immediately trade it for a regular mouse. I need my right click baby.

Jayo: Things have changed some time ago... Apple ships a Mighty Mouse with every desktop computer. They may look like they have no buttons, but there's a sensor under the skin that detects which side of the mouse you're pressing resulting in "click" or "context click". The centre ball allows 3D scrolling (vertical/horizontal/diagonal) and the side grips can be programmed to control any function (default for Exposé and Spaces). This is Apple's standard mouse now.

apple_mighty_mouse.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back