News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Did anyone notice the steelpan store on Dundas near Indian Grove? That has to be the most interesting business to open on that stretch of Dundas in years!

They're not really open as a store, but more used as a rehearsal/teaching space. I think they use the space for practice and get booked for gigs mostly elsewhere.

new development @200 keele street

Those ugly 1970's (?) townhouses facing Lithuania Park are to be knocked down and replaced by 24 new townhouses. I just discovered the application sign last night, here's the 16 December 2008 City of Toronto planning doc:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-17784.pdf

Walking up Oakmount last night, I photographed the sign. (At first I thought the historic houses were going to be destroyed; guess not, thankfully!)

DSC00703-1.jpg

Developer appears to be a Woodbridge outfit--Sedona Development Group.

Hope the nimbies don't mind=this part of Toronto needs more density!

(Better photos of the site to follow soon....)

Last edited:
Strange; those townhouses don't strike me as "ugly", and are in fact above-average infill for their time. For them to be replaced by middlebrow retroschlock would IMO be a minus...

Platform

A person who wishes to remain anonymous told me recently that the train platform built for last years festival cost c. $50,000 to build. Worse, the landlord initially only agreed to it being there for a few months! Luckily for someone, however, the lack of development on the site means it will be around for longer. It now seems to have been hijacked for the local Councillor's personal promotions.

Last edited:
A person who wishes to remain anonymous told me recently that the train platform built for last years festival cost c. $50,000 to build. Worse, the landlord initially only agreed to it being there for a few months! Luckily for someone, however, the lack of development on the site means it will be around for longer. It now seems to have been hijacked for the local Councillor's personal promotions.

I can assure you it didn't cost $50K. The landlord donated the empty lot to JFAC temporarily for the festival last year and has amenably allowed use of it by the non-propfit art organization for one more year. Community use beyond that is currently unknown.

In any case, what on earth do you care what it cost, it's for the community. The non-profit organization already did all the work to negotiate its use, put it there, fundraise, construction and programming. It's unbelieveable how ungrateful people are and how willing to tear a strip off community efforts.

Personally, I love the idea of community space, I wish we had something permanent, I love the fact that our neighbourhood has so many people who truly care about local improvement. I'd like to thank everyone who volunteered to organize all the past and future community events, your efforts are very much appreciated!

Check out the latest community initiative: http://artjunction.blogspot.com/

also, everyone here is invited to the Junction Winter Carnival: http://junction-parents.blogspot.com/2009/01/junction-winter-carnival.html

Last edited:

Back