News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

View attachment 3335

The stately home located at 244 High Park Avenue was built in 1910. It has large principal rooms, and retains many of its original interior features, as well as sunny bay windows, solid bricks, and even a slate roof.

Recently this home was purchased by a developer, and last November they asked the city for permission to demolish it, divide the lot and squeeze in two, three-story houses, each with a garage next to the front door.

Depending on your point of view, this development could be an opportunity to rejuvenate the neighbourhood or represent potential loss of our heritage.

The loss of one house is not going to change Junction life any more than new condos or railways will, but I view this project not as one step but possibly the first of many such steps.

The large lots of the Junction are ideal for this type of intensification. As the Junction gentrifies, prices will rise and the equation for profitable intensification will draw many more developers, with bulldozers not far behind.

The Etobicoke York Committee of Adjustment will review this proposal on Thursday, February 18th.

I plan to attend the hearing to make my case to reinforce the existing physical character of the Junction and ask the Committee to reject this proposal.

If you want to say Yes to Junction History and No to McMansion, please follow the directions below and write to the Committee of Adjustment today.

The Committee equates silence with acceptance, so every email counts.

Please email or fax Barbara Bartosik at the Committee of Adjustment and Ward 13 Councillor Bill Saundercook: bbartos@toronto.ca & councillor_saundercook@toronto.ca, fax 416-394-6042.

All comments must be received by Wednesday February 17th at 5pm.

The developer's plan can be viewed at the Etobicoke Civic Centre.

Response to e-mail from Councillor Saundercook:
"Thank you for your e-mail.

I am writing you to let you know that I have arranged for a public meeting to take place on Wednesday March 10th, at 6:30 p.m. in the church at 200 Annette St. This meeting will be a forum to direct your concerns over the plans submitted to the Committee of Adjustments by the owner of 244 High Park ave.

regards,

Councillor Bill Saundercook."

So apparently the new condos coming up, by Options For Homes, is nameless. Options is deciding on a new name for the project. They've let the purchasers know that they are open to suggestions. "Village By High Park" was just a marketing name.

Um, aren't all condo names marketing names?

The Junction was featured today in the Metro (free daily). April Fools! Actually they did!
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/live/article/492169--the-junction-has-a-rags-to-riches-story-to-tell

The big reason it's a big deal to me is because of the newspaper it was on. Metro is so mainstream (can't get better than free!). Everyone reads it (including me) and it has to cater to the most common denominator, and in terms of audience size I can't think of who beats it. So for the Junction to be featured in the Metro, rather than some Toronto Life article that only a segment of the population reads, I think its big news. I am aware of the New York Times article, and the ones in independent newspapers, etc, yet this one has me most excited about the Junction's future.

New place "The Good Neighbour" on Annette looks great.

JRA-The-Good-Neighbour-March-30-2010-490x278.jpg

^Yeah that place is nice.:)

Pathetic old gingerbread family failure has been leased--another cafe I believe opening here--any insiders with rumours?

I wish a funky resto bar like the Beaconsfield would open. Something more intimate and a tad more upscale than Axis.

Fixing the gutters

Hi everyone. Sorry to change the subject but can anyone recommend a company in the area to fix the gutter/eavesdrop? Looks like we need to replace the old one :(. And yes the Good Neighbour is great!

As is Buddha Pie (pizza) at Runnymede and Annette. Gonna have to go to GN soon--is it open Sundays?

Not in the Junction exactly, but it's near the High Park subway station--Cafe Novo (coffee etc) at Bloor and Quebec is open and looks mighty fine! Interesting how three neighbourhood coffee shops corner on Quebec--Crema, Good Neighbour, and now Cafe Novo. Is it the Quebecois influence? :D

Last edited:
I had a $2.10 americano at Cafe Novo today--yeah I gotta say so far, other than Sweet Gallery (Viennese-style coffee in Bloor West Village) this coffee is the best I've had west of K-market's Pennylick's--smooth, naturally sweet tasting stuff. I just wished they'd get the Globe and Mail here as the Star sucks. Next will try the Good Neighbour's brew.

3 May 2010 updates:

1)Went to Good Neighbour today and had a decent latte. I think just like the street itself, the best coffee starts at the beginning (aka Bloor) and progressively gets worse--aka, best at Cafe Novo, then okay at GN, and most bitter/inconsistent at Crema. But GN wins the award for best-looking. Looks like the wealthy owners put some money into the space. What I find interesting, is the owners of Crema live literally five or so doors down the street, so must pass this new competitor on their way up to Crema.

dsc03276ho.jpg

dsc03274d.jpg

Next, that beautiful old hardware store that was demolished last fall is being rebuilt, but with another floor added--at Quebec and Dundas St W:

dsc03253q.jpg

dsc03255f.jpg

There's some new businesses/shops opening on the Junction strip proper:

1)North of Bombay has gotten a new name and theme? Not really surprised--I wish New York Sub/Gandhi would open in the Junction instead.

dsc03279zm.jpg

2)Groan...err woof! Just what yuppies need:

dsc03278g.jpg

3)@Pacific, something's cook'n--what? 10 May 2010 update: It's gonna be a super hot vintage furniture store, sort of like Smash.

dsc03281g.jpg

4)Mjolk still looking hot:

dsc03282or.jpg

Finally, seasonal greetings from a Dundas West flower shop:

dsc03258u.jpg

Last edited:
Not likely

Gingerbread Family=out in the trash heap. Dundas @Indian Grove, so perfect for the Village by High Park residents....

Junction Eatery Brunch spot=in. Hope it's cool.:)

dsc03651a.jpg

I'm guessing this one is going to score pretty low on the cool factor ...but hopefully higher than Gingerbread and Double Double Pizza. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but that Junction Eatery sign isn't too promising. Cool Hand can relax...

lol, I thought that as well looking at the name they chose.

A friend and I almost leased the space, but weren't prepared to take the financial risk quite yet. I thought the name "The Indian Grove" would've been brilliant, and yes, it was gonna be a hot brunch spot-styled place. (Like B spot used to be at Roncevalles and Dundas West, rip my favourite brunch spot in Toronto history.)

Friday, 14 May 2010 updates:

New liquor license ap in for this tacky facade--the landlord wanted $4000 monthly for the space, so it must be wine bar or something higher end.

dsc03776z.jpg

The name and exact concept escapes me, but a friend-of-a friend knows the owner of this soon to launch furniture store at Dundas and Pacific: Next time I walk by, I'll take a better photo:

dsc03780ux.jpg

Meanwhile, at Quebec and Dundas glazing is up, hope the red brick is gonna be up to snuff....

dsc03774g.jpg

dsc03773zo.jpg

Back