News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The 2km trail section from Military Trail to Neilson is now officially open.

CBC Story here:

Pictures of the switchback from contractor CSL, and highlighting the new segment on City maps.
F7xDXcWWEAAD6E5.jpg
Untitled.png

Yes why it's in one (uphill) direction is odd. With, Ebikes, speed is very possible going uphill so it still could be valid before the tight corners but then I'd argue it should be on both up/down directions.

anyone notice that the Slow painted on the pavement is facing people travelling up the hill. I think that was a mistake as it makes way more sense to have the Slow marking for people travelling downhill.
Yes why it's in one (uphill) direction is odd. With, Ebikes, speed is very possible going uphill so it still could be valid before the tight corners but then I'd argue it should be on both up/down directions.

I know its nearly impossible to see, but the word slow is there on the downhill direction. (behind/uphill of the man in green)

Its written in both directions at curve approaches.

You can see the down hill one if you zoom in just above the curve.

Reactions: PL1
View attachment 515106
Aha!
Better eyes than us!

I didn't see it either at first, but when you two posted......I thought, that does't make sense..........

I thought of what the policy would be, and it would be ahead of curves/blind corners, so then I started looking for it and saw something with heavy reflection coming off it, opened the pic in its own tab and zoomed in.........

And time for a couple of updates.

The first is on trail building from Military Trail to Morningside Avenue:

1711821595671.png

The second is a garden/landscape enhancement project at Eglinton/Pharmacy:

1711821712724.png

Note the species above, great range of colour, Cardinal Flower is very striking if you can get it to take; its a fussy bugger! Butterfly weed, as you might expect is very good at attracting that mix of species and is a vibrant orange as well.

It will be interesting (to me) to see how they manage topography and soil type as those two species don't really appear in the same places much (Cardinal Flower likes it damp, where Butterfly Milkweed likes it dry)

March 30.

I've been curious about the connection between the Meadoway and the Highland Creek Trail.

Looking south. The Meadoway crosses Highland Creek at Ellesmere.
DJI_0023.jpeg

Looking north-east. The connection to the Highland Creek trail goes under the bridge.
DJI_0001.jpeg

Looking north
DJI_0018.jpeg

Looking north towards Ellesmere
DJI_0034.jpeg

Looking south.
DJI_0017.jpeg

The trail appears to be unfinished between the two red arrows. See the next two photos for where the arrows are pointed.
Highland Creek Trail edit.jpeg

Looking north west. The construction staging area with the roadway leading to the parking lots in Morningside Park.
DJI_0030.jpeg

The Highland Creek Trail at the bottom of the photo and the connection to the Meadoway at the top of the photo, just visible through the trees.
DJI_0050.jpeg

I'll ride it once the weather gets a bit warmer. :)

I've ridden this a handful of times last year.

March 30.

I've been curious about the connection between the Meadoway and the Highland Creek Trail.
The trail appears to be unfinished between the two red arrows. See the next two photos for where the arrows are pointed.
View attachment 552445
It's actually unfinished further West your arrow up top where there is coarse gravel & stone (nearly impossible to ride on). You can see the transition to gravel from asphalt just beyond the bridge in the picture prior to this.

The Highland Creek Trail at the bottom of the photo and the connection to the Meadoway at the top of the photo, just visible through the trees.
View attachment 552449

This is also a tricky spot to ride, but doable. The stone is also very coarse here (for construction vehicles), and at times is closed off because equipment is actively on-site.

I've ridden this a handful of times last year.

It's actually unfinished further West your arrow up top where there is coarse gravel & stone (nearly impossible to ride on). You can see the transition to gravel from asphalt just beyond the bridge in the picture prior to this.

This is also a tricky spot to ride, but doable. The stone is also very coarse here (for construction vehicles), and at times is closed off because equipment is actively on-site.
Thanks @Coolibop!

I ride the Highland Creek Trail a couple of times a week (in nicer weather) and I'm looking forward to this connection being completed + the Meadoway being finished all the way to the East Don Trail.

March 30.

Looking south. The Meadoway crosses Highland Creek at Ellesmere.
View attachment 552438

Looking north-east. The connection to the Highland Creek trail goes under the bridge.
View attachment 552440

Looking north
View attachment 552441

Looking north towards Ellesmere
View attachment 552442

Looking south.
View attachment 552443

View attachment 552445

Looking north west. The construction staging area with the roadway leading to the parking lots in Morningside Park.
View attachment 552448

View attachment 552449

The odd thing is I've tried repeatedly to get Google Maps to add both trails to Google Maps, painstakingly adding the "roads" with their editor, without success. They refuse to acknowledge this trail exists.

So make sure when you ride it to have G-Maps open on your phone with routing turned on. It will force Google to see that a bunch of people are taking a path thats not on Gmaps and make them clue in.

The odd thing is I've tried repeatedly to get Google Maps to add both trails to Google Maps, painstakingly adding the "roads" with their editor, without success. They refuse to acknowledge this trail exists.

So make sure when you ride it to have G-Maps open on your phone with routing turned on. It will force Google to see that a bunch of people are taking a path thats not on Gmaps and make them clue in.
Probably because it's unfinished
There were a couple of times last year I had to double back from Morningside Park and up to Ellesmere (via Morningside) as they closed the entire site off... Painful detour....

Openstteetmaps is the way to go here for navigation with Komoot and the like if you want to get the 'unofficial beta' trails

:)

Screenshot_20240401_204702.jpg

Probably because it's unfinished
There were a couple of times last year I had to double back from Morningside Park and up to Ellesmere (via Morningside) as they closed the entire site off... Painful detour....

Openstteetmaps is the way to go here for navigation with Komoot and the like if you want to get the 'unofficial beta' trails

:)

View attachment 552936
I just wish they had connected it north to Military Trail, or even beyond. But maybe one day it will be a future phase.

My pictures and descriptions pre-trail installation (although with the note about running into women bathing in the creek removed):

Back