8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Avenuer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Project will be directly south of the Mercury Block where the existing Andrew Manor building is. The Merc Annex is proposed to be 6 storeys with 2 levels of underground parking, 65 residential units and commercial bays on the ground floor.

sadsadsa.png
rewrewr.png
gregreewrfew.png
gfdgfdgdf.png
gsdfgdsfds.png
gfwerfwef.png

Just to get it out of the way - this looks very nice and, materials dependent, will fit and add into the existing fabric really nicely.

But it's interesting that this and Mercury across the street, along with the Oliver Exchange a couple blocks east is starting to organically turn 102 Ave into a quaint, neighbourhood focused centre with the new shops and amenities, alongside well-done public investments like Paul Kane and the Oliverbahn. Meanwhile, a block over, the obvious main street for Oliver continues to flounder. Jasper technically has more amenities just due to the volume of CRUs, but it's unpleasant (I know this will change in the near future in part with the new streetscape) and doesn't have the same "magic" or "allure." Beljan really created something special with the Oliver Exchange and the City did a very good job with Paul Kane. Hopefully Hodgson Schilf continues that path for 102 in West Oliver...

Just to get it out of the way - this looks very nice and, materials dependent, will fit and add into the existing fabric really nicely.

But it's interesting that this and Mercury across the street, along with the Oliver Exchange a couple blocks east is starting to organically turn 102 Ave into a quaint, neighbourhood focused centre with the new shops and amenities, alongside well-done public investments like Paul Kane and the Oliverbahn. Meanwhile, a block over, the obvious main street for Oliver continues to flounder. Jasper technically has more amenities just due to the volume of CRUs, but it's unpleasant (I know this will change in the near future in part with the new streetscape) and doesn't have the same "magic" or "allure." Beljan really created something special with the Oliver Exchange and the City did a very good job with Paul Kane. Hopefully Hodgson Schilf continues that path for 102 in West Oliver...

One of the great things about 102 Ave in terms of walking is it's quiet - it's easy to have a conversation while walking and the atmosphere is pleasant. That's why I mostly avoid Jasper Ave as a pedestrian and obviously on bike, it's not friendly to anything but cars and my experience as a pedestrian is poor.

That segment of Jasper Ave renewal genuinely cannot come fast enough. Going eastward from 121st on Jasper as a pedestrian is up there with worst walking experiences in Edmonton. Nothing like seven vehicles lanes, shallow curbs, dilapidated sideways, and a near complete lack of any meaningful green space or trees/shrubbery. It's like a painful reminder of what a lot of Edmonton was like after the austere 90s.

I guess it's maybe a blessing in disguise when it perhaps inadvertently makes 102 ave more appealing to build projects like these/OEX/The Jameson?

An interesting point comparing Jasper Ave with all its potential retail space (much of which has been around a long time) to here where it is being recently developed. I agree the quieter area off the main street has a more pleasant atmosphere.

Jasper Ave is a busy main street and will probably remain so, but it would be nice to try make it more pleasant too.

One of the great things about 102 Ave in terms of walking is it's quiet - it's easy to have a conversation while walking and the atmosphere is pleasant. That's why I mostly avoid Jasper Ave as a pedestrian and obviously on bike, it's not friendly to anything but cars and my experience as a pedestrian is poor.
Absolutely. There's a reason that 102 Ave and the Victoria Promenade have way more pedestrians than 104 Ave and Jasper Ave, despite the latter 2 having a lot more things to gravitate towards. It's also a stark contrast to Westmount, Alberta Ave, McCauley, Strathcona, and (sort of) Garneau, where the main street is the busiest for people (but also because they're safer and more desirable). 102 Ave seems to slowly be turning into a more Downtown-y version of 76 Ave in Ritchie, which I'm definitely not against.

An interesting point comparing Jasper Ave with all its potential retail space (much of which has been around a long time) to here where it is being recently developed. I agree the quieter area off the main street has a more pleasant atmosphere.

Jasper Ave is a busy main street and will probably remain so, but it would be nice to try make it more pleasant too.

I don't think it's that Jasper Ave is a busy main street. Ste-Catherine, 5th Avenue, Michigan Ave, Oxford St, the Champs-Elysees, Ku'Damm, etc are also busy and bustling, but it doesn't prevent them from being well-regarded destinations. In fact, the busy-ness is indicative of their attractiveness. The difference is these main streets are oriented more towards the pedestrian experience, whereas Jasper Ave (particularly outside Downtown proper) is not - it's a stroad, which is why it's unpleasant and undesirable, because it's unsafe.

That's not to say quieter commercial/community areas are bad, either, or to counter your claim that they offer a "more pleasant atmosphere" because, in the case of Oliver, that's pretty obvious. One of the most interesting urban neighbourhoods in Western Canada - Winnipeg's Wolseley is also very quaint and charming in this way, with a small, popular but not overwhelming main street nestled in thick elm canopies and colourful Four Squares. But I think busy main streets can also be pleasant, it just depends on how they derive their busy-ness. Obviously Shibuya Crossing isn't for everybody, but it's popular for a reason and the reason isn't cars. Ultimately, I'd love to have a vibrant, walkable West Jasper to complement 102 Ave and 100 Ave's more quaint aesthetic.

Last edited:

Back