Should the Queens Park view corridor be preserved?

• Yes

Votes: 168 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 145 37.4%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 60 15.5%

• Total voters
A lot of retail!

41,764.32 Square Feet.

Anyway, it's not approved.

The original application was going to be for a 200+ meter tower!

is somebody getting lazy in design or what? looks like yet another glass square shaped tower with balcony all around .... no geometry once again.... sigh

I'm happy that they are not supporting this plan.

I think Queen's Park Legislature Buildings are important focus on University Ave. and the unobstructed view-line should be maintained for it.

City Planning Preliminary Report

21 Avenue Rd– OPA & Rezoning – Preliminary Report
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-18711.pdf

thanks for the heads up digitalcabana :)

This City planning staff report will be considered by the Toronto and East York Community Council on February 9th.

To cater to those not wanting to link to the report, here are the site plan and front elevation as extracted from the staff report.

Current proposal includes:
  • 2 towers, being 48 + 44 storeys
  • 3 storeys retail podium connecting the towers
  • 335 residential units

Site Plan
21Avenue_sp.jpg

West Elevation - Avenue Road
21Avenue_west.jpg

I don't how realistic it will always be to maintain that sightline, although I do absolutely love Queen's Park, the park and the buildings themselves.

Atleast it would be nice to have buildings behind that are inoffensive in design and will remain somewhat timeless. A tall order.

I love the design of these towers... I just wish they could go somewhere else.

I absolutely love the existing Four Seasons complex. It's an icon. And the podium is something really different.

Atleast given the economy we know it will be around for a good bit of time still. :)

I don't think this will succeed. The age of unmitigated greed has just died (again, third time I think), and the local populace won't stomach this sort of sky-grab. It's rather appalling to think we would knock down sound buildings less than forty years old to build bigger ones that we don't need and that mess up the look of the city. Why don't they just give up and renovate the pile into something else? It would make a fine retirement home for superannuated socialites and decrepit matriarchs.

So from the vantage point of Queens Park you will see the following Clewes boxes: this thing, Murano, Burano, U towers and possibly the Four Seasons. Talk about the homogenization of our skyline.

It looks like the 11th edition of Spire. He's sure milking that design for all it's worth.

Cookie-cutter or not, as long as it uses high quality materials, it will glow handsomely in the evening skyline. I'll consider it quality infill for the time being and only get annoyed if we keep seeing this design in 10-15 years.

Last edited:
Have a look at those elevations again. I see cylinders, not boxes. Possibly boxes with rounded corners.

I just cant believe that every condo proposal nowadays here in Toronto is just another box.The Yorkville area deserves better and i hope this crap gets turned down by the city.

I don't care for them at all. While they may not be tacky, the lack of originality being shown over and over again is getting tiring. The city obviously cares more about height.

Back