What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
^agreed, but unfortunately Edmonton has lost so many heritage building any additional losses feel way more significant.

So if they're starting construction this year, does that mean that entire corner will be getting hoarding soon and all the affected buildings will also seeing the wrecking ball soon?

^^Yes, we've lost a lot of heritage, and soon El Mirador. It's a shame. And I would imagine they will hoard and raise the entire site in one go @Edmcowboy11.

^ That's what I was hoping for, even a recreation within Central Park as an asset and play-up on El Mirador's rich history.

Ask Christenson Developments or some other other stick frame condo developer to recreate the El Mirador somewhere else in the city.
Lord no and impossible.

The beauty of this was community/residents and the patina/history of the interiors.

^ Lord yes, please and thank you.
Very doable. You can't recreate El Mirador's history. That's not the point.

THE POINT is that we are losing something of real substance, community and history.

You might mirror, but won't recreate or more importantly replicate.

This is the kind of talk that Edmonton has too much of... we could go on and on about recreating or 'moving to Fort Ed'...

Lets hope they salvage those glass door knobs and any other nick-nack worth saving before demolition.

Ian, if El Mirador was being demolished for something less that it I would be with you in wanting to save the building but it is being replaced by something better (hopefully). This demolition will be good for the city and new memories will be made a hundred years from now.
They could incorporate the facade into the new building but it is cladded in stucco and would look awkward, no matter how I envision it. It would be like preserving the face of a 50s wood frame bungalow at the base of a skyscraper. Perhaps some architect might find a way to make it work in the future but it hasn't happened yet and I am not willing to gamble on it.

It can be possible to incorporate the existing building but the developer would have to completely redo plans for the shorter tower. We all know this is something no developers want to do as planning itself never creates a profit unless government pitches in.

Back