What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes, kind of, sort of, but without much of the impressive older architecture there. So many of the buildings in the area were built in the 1970's and 80's when a much plainer style was the fashion.
Yeah I wouldn’t mind it if the buildings were more neo-classical in design. Street life would still be dead BUT at least it’d be architecturally impressive and we’d have more tourists visiting that besides the Legislature Grounds.

Honestly, even if it was artificially imposed I don't mind the uniform height of the buildings in Government Centre. Kinda gives me a Washington DC vibe.

Your comments sound so revisionist to me. This building on 106 street is the absolute maximum height allowed under the restrictions of the old overlay. In fact the elevator does not go to the top floor otherwise it would have violated those restrictions. Notice also the low ceiling of the ground floor where normally an office would have vaulted ceilings. There other examples of the height restrictions in that area dictating unusual building design.
View attachment 577484
I ask the question on how much the overlay impacted the skyline ? Of course, there will be buildings designed to maximize space in the height window. Edmonton's skyline would be different but, how much different?

There's also no such restriction in Ottawa that buildings can't be taller than the Peace Tower.

I suspect that in the real boom years of the 70s and very early 80s that we would have seen some decent height where it was capped between 106-115st and greater heights in the core.

There were multiple proposals in the 40-50 storey range, but Manulife was more or less the zenith in the CBD core.

I ask the question on how much the overlay impacted the skyline ? Of course, there will be buildings designed to maximize space in the height window. Edmonton's skyline would be different but, how much different?

There's also no such restriction in Ottawa that buildings can't be taller than the Peace Tower.
There was a restriction until the 60s-70s but since the 90s there have been protected views of parliament that mostly prevent very tall buildings from being built downtown.

If you like to scroll while pooping at work I recommend checking out the "Unbuilt" pages. There's over a dozen pages of unrecognized projects in and around the downtown core and some beyond.

Edmonton really was a victim of taking it's next step as a major metropolitan city at the time that we were moving to fiat currency and all the associated economic strife that would follow for decades.

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/forum/threads/unbuilt-projects.30410/

Yeah I wouldn’t mind it if the buildings were more neo-classical in design. Street life would still be dead BUT at least it’d be architecturally impressive and we’d have more tourists visiting that besides the Legislature Grounds.
... and more tourists might improve street life some and fill up some of those empty commercial spaces. Still nothing in the Augustana, I think.

IMG_6454.jpeg

The height restriction was also responsible for the absolutely horrific design of First Edmonton Place, correct? The “street level” retail was built below grade to allow for an extra level of office space? I think I remember reading about that somewhere.

The height restriction was also responsible for the absolutely horrific design of First Edmonton Place, correct? The “street level” retail was built below grade to allow for an extra level of office space? I think I remember reading about that somewhere.
Its a noticeable feature or quirk of the building and I understand that was the reason. I suspect if you go elsewhere and also see something odd, sometimes a zoning or other restriction is responsible for that too.

Back