News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Another unfortunate re-facing on Jarvis Street is the Sheard House at 314. Originally built in 1865 and altered in 1901, it is designated with a heritage easement agreement:

314Jarvis.jpg

Attachments

• 314Jarvis.jpg
    314Jarvis.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 805
Could one ask the same question of those Forest Hill Viennese-whipped cream-stucco confections that have become the go-to plutocrat style (those poor Eden Smith Arts and Crafts houses never stood a chance):

These might even be more offensive in that they're obnoxiously ostentatious even without all the decorations and EIFS cladding. I always get a sense that the owners open up a big catalogue of "ye olde home decorations" and blindly point to various features to tack onto their giant wedding cake monstrosities. What are they aiming for here; Second Empire, High Victorian? It's such a hodgepodge.

These might even be more offensive in that they're obnoxiously ostentatious even without all the decorations and EIFS cladding. I always get a sense that the owners open up a big catalogue of "ye olde home decorations" and blindly point to various features to tack onto their giant wedding cake monstrosities. What are they aiming for here; Second Empire, High Victorian? It's such a hodgepodge.

I agree and much go the blame goes to the short-comings of the architects. While the upper crust of Victorian Toronto could go to Cumberland &Storm, William Thomas or E.J.Lennox, their "descendents" go to Richard Wengle......

Look at the above photos. The "clean" look will be easy targets for graffiti.

Bricks have a "busy" look to them. Making them less of a target fro graffiti. Bricks will still get graffiti on them, but the blank face of EIFS will be more of a draw.

Look at the above photos. The "clean" look will be easy targets for graffiti.

Bricks have a "busy" look to them. Making them less of a target fro graffiti. Bricks will still get graffiti on them, but the blank face of EIFS will be more of a draw.
That is another reason why EIFS is a plague to me.

One solution can involve having patterned EIFS (such as striped, polka dotted, checkered, plaided, tesselated, etc.) or it can have a mural on them as well.

Canada Post placed random forward sortation addresses on their mailboxes.

One solution can involve having patterned EIFS (such as striped, polka dotted, checkered, plaided, tesselated, etc.)...

While it would not reverse the terrible lifespan of EIFS, it would be a step in the right direction. Are there any examples of "decorative" EIFS?

While it would not reverse the terrible lifespan of EIFS, it would be a step in the right direction. Are there any examples of "decorative" EIFS?

If we're to take its roots in postwar Polish rebuilding into account, I'm sure there's coloured/stencilled facades in old Warsaw that might count.

If we're to take its roots in postwar Polish rebuilding into account, I'm sure there's coloured/stencilled facades in old Warsaw that might count.

Wouldn't those examples most likely be traditional plaster-work? Not sure, but wasn't EIFS, as a product, developed in the 60's?

Back