News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

But hey... Montreal just doesn't get it. LRT's on Jean-Talon would have been the smart thing to do right? Maybe City council and the Province of Ontario should educate them on the merits of substituting to an LRT on an already built subway line.

LRT probably would be better for Montreal. Their subway expansion, including this line, between 1985 and 2020 (35 years) is around 0.7km/year.

With surface LRT, many neighbourhoods could see some expansion in the next 20 years rather than waiting 60 years for something other than a bus if an equal dollar value was put in that direction.

It really is a choice between 5km of subway to a very small section of one neighbourhood or 15km of LRT with far more area covered; perhaps two 7km LRT lines through the area instead.

STM already won the award for best North American Public Transit but still, they just don't get it...Or maybe they do get it...LRT was studied for Jean-Talon and they rejected it just as fast.

Montreal won in 2010 but Philadelphia won in 2012. Philadelphia runs a mix of heavy-rail and LRT and even a "trackless trolly" system.

In 2011 you have Santa Monica taking the >20M passengers per year award (Montreal lost to them that year) and El Paso the 4M to 20M category.

APTAs awards don't have a whole lot of meaning.

Incidentally, Jersy Transit has won that award a 4 or 5 times (see page 26) giving it by far the most wins out of any agency, and they also have around 172km of LRT.

http://www.apta.com/members/memberprogramsandservices/awards/Documents/APTA-Awards-Program-2012.pdf

Last edited:
The video at the 40s mark says

Aren't we doing the same thing with subways in Vaughan with stations built like cathedrals?

Good for them since I know that the extension will serve families with a lower revenue. Sucks for the rich citizens of the west ;)

Is it a rich-poor thing or an english-french. I know the west if more english - it makes sense to build the subway to the french area.

Take if from someone who was born and raised in Montreal, the blue line is way more like Sheppard than Eglinton will ever be.

When the line opened, its ridership was so low that the line used to closed at 11h15pm in the evening. Over the years, the ridership grew and now the line closes later. The ridership and was a catalyst for all the development of the northern part of the city.

By going farther east like the Sheppard line was supposed to do, lower revenue households will have access to rapid transit. Like Solid said above, I'm glad that the Province recognize that the more dense and populated eastern Montreal should have access to a subway line while Laval gets the privilege to ignore the commuter trains (2 lines) at their doorstep and making the orange line just as bad as the Yonge line and a living hell for Montrealers. At least, they are paying their share of the annual operating costs as well.

But hey... Montreal just doesn't get it. LRT's on Jean-Talon would have been the smart thing to do right? Maybe City council and the Province of Ontario should educate them on the merits of substituting to an LRT on an already built subway line...

STM already won the award for best North American Public Transit but still, they just don't get it...Or maybe they do get it...LRT was studied for Jean-Talon and they rejected it just as fast.

http://www.examiner.com/article/stm-wins-the-stanley-cup-of-public-transport-for-north-america

I'll take your word for it. Looking at Google, the streets appear to be in a fairly tight grid pattern. Even when the street network does become more suburban, they are still relatively close together. Plus going into Street View, retail is right up on the avenue and homes are built as doubles, with modest yard sizes.

If I'm not mistaken, Montreal is also looking at building an LRT and BRT lines.

(Seriously, Montreal is hands down the best designed city in North America)

Ok is this more studying of the line or actually committing funding to build it?

LRT probably would be better for Montreal. Their subway expansion, including this line, between 1985 and 2020 (35 years) is around 0.7km/year.

With surface LRT, many neighbourhoods could see some expansion in the next 20 years rather than waiting 60 years for something other than a bus if an equal dollar value was put in that direction.

It really is a choice between 5km of subway to a very small section of one neighbourhood or 15km of LRT with far more area covered; perhaps two 7km LRT lines through the area instead.

STM obviously disagree with you and I trust they are better experts than you are. They have plans for BRT in Montreal for those neighborhoods. BTW, they were planning streetcar lines but the price turned the province off.

Montreal won in 2010 but Philadelphia won in 2012. Philadelphia runs a mix of heavy-rail and LRT and even a "trackless trolly" system.

In 2011 you have Santa Monica taking the >20M passengers per year award (Montreal lost to them that year) and El Paso the 4M to 20M category.

APTAs awards don't have a whole lot of meaning.

Incidentally, Jersy Transit has won that award a 4 or 5 times (see page 26) giving it by far the most wins out of any agency, and they also have around 172km of LRT.

http://www.apta.com/members/memberprogramsandservices/awards/Documents/APTA-Awards-Program-2012.pdf

If that award is such a joke, how come Toronto never won it?

I'll take your word for it. Looking at Google, the streets appear to be in a fairly tight grid pattern. Even when the street network does become more suburban, they are still relatively close together. Plus going into Street View, retail is right up on the avenue and homes are built as doubles, with modest yard sizes.

If I'm not mistaken, Montreal is also looking at building an LRT and BRT lines.

(Seriously, Montreal is hands down the best designed city in North America)

They were looking at building streetcar lines (same average speed as King and Queen) but The Liberals were not enthusiastic about the project. The PQ seems more transit oriented. Quebec City might get their streetcars if the mayor can stop "flip-flopping" and make up his mind.

STUM can run their metro at grade if they wished. The guideway can be protected from the snow with a shelter over the tracks. Sapporo Metro use a shelter.
May not sit well with the locals, however.

Would be a lot cheaper than covnerting the line to steel wheel, and having two set of trains to maintain.

Sapporo_subway_shelter.jpg

STUM can run their metro at grade if they wished. The guideway can be protected from the snow with a shelter over the tracks. Sapporo Metro use a shelter.

Would be a lot cheaper than covnerting the line to steel wheel, and having two set of trains to maintain.

What would that actually cost. 8m span, $2000/ square metre - maybe $15M /km. I do agree with you when you say "a lot cheaper". Also a lot cheaper than building underground.

I do not know where Montreal would consider using these, but in Toronto, would anyone compain if this was built above the SRT or another new transit line in a hydro corridor.

Not going to lie, that would look pretty cool if it was built down the median of an expressway (of which Montreal has plenty). For a city who's Metro has an artistic flare, that would fit in quite well if the outside was uniquely designed.

Montréal's Metro trains are 2.5 m wide. Toronto's Subway trains are 3.15 m wide. While Toronto's CLRV & Bombardier Outlook streetcars are 2.54 m wide, the (Transit City) Bombardier Freedom light rail vehicles are to be 2.65 m wide.

They will build it. The study is meant to know exactly how much it will cost and how they will build it.
Ya right and what is so different compared to Metrolinx studying the Downtown Relief Life. Until we see actual commitment of funds to build this thing, it's just another study.

Have a feeling after all is said and done, this might be the only thing the Scarborough RT gets with its $1.4 billion at this rate...

Anjou? Not Montreal-Nord? Really?

I do not know Montreal that well. I see the logic in continuing the Blue line along Rue Jean Talon, instead of finding a way to switch to a different alignment.

Perhaps Montreal needs a Downtown Relief Line (LDCV) (Ligne de Décharge du Centre-Ville) that goes down Papineau Ave and across on Rue Sherbrooke.

Back